Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
06-22-2018, 02:17 PM,
Cranks but won't start (new fuel pump/relay/battery)
2000 Vtar 650 15k miles. New: fuel filter oil and filter battery, synced carbs, tubea/tires, brakes, brake fluid, diff fluid/greased splines, etc, spark plugs, air filter etc ...everything up to snuff. One day riding ran out of gas. Found gas tank cap screw in tank, fixed that put gas in and riding. Then, it just dies while pulling in and won't start. After sitting an hour starts right up...rode 20 miles and the hear a POP and it dies. Cranks won't restart.sit for a while starts up and rus fine. Few days later took it out for a ride got 4 miles and a pop again...runs for 20 sec and dies won't restart

Get it home...turn key and no fuel pump noise/sound. Pull the fuel pump relay and the connections look discolored. Sprayed with contact cleaner and they look nice again. But, I order new Yamaha fuel pump relay and put it in. Still no fuel pump noise so I remove fuel pump and order new one. I didn't bother testing either relay or pump since it's 16 years old and wasn't that expensive to replace. Fuel pump work great pushes fuel energizes make a nice noise. BUT bike still won't start. I'm going to go look and see if in have spark BUT....what else would it LIKELY be? I figured with intermittent symptoms I was looking at relay/pump is sure most likely.

Ignitor?
Coils?

Any input appreciated.
09-26-2018, 03:15 PM,
RE: Cranks but won't start (new fuel pump/relay/battery)
(06-22-2018, 02:17 PM)Lug Nut Wrote: 2000 Vtar 650 15k miles. New: fuel filter oil and filter battery, synced carbs, tubea/tires, brakes, brake fluid, diff fluid/greased splines, etc, spark plugs, air filter etc ...everything up to snuff. One day riding ran out of gas. Found gas tank cap screw in tank, fixed that put gas in and riding. Then, it just dies while pulling in and won't start. After sitting an hour starts right up...rode 20 miles and the hear a POP and it dies. Cranks won't restart.sit for a while starts up and rus fine. Few days later took it out for a ride got 4 miles and a pop again...runs for 20 sec and dies won't restart

Get it home...turn key and no fuel pump noise/sound. Pull the fuel pump relay and the connections look discolored. Sprayed with contact cleaner and they look nice again. But, I order new Yamaha fuel pump relay and put it in. Still no fuel pump noise so I remove fuel pump and order new one. I didn't bother testing either relay or pump since it's 16 years old and wasn't that expensive to replace. Fuel pump work great pushes fuel energizes make a nice noise. BUT bike still won't start. I'm going to go look and see if in have spark BUT....what else would it LIKELY be? I figured with intermittent symptoms I was looking at relay/pump is sure most likely.

Ignitor?
Coils?

Any input appreciated.

I've had this same problem and tested everything i could think of until i finally found the culprit. The culprit was the pickup coil which is located inside the stator side of the cover. If you want to make sure before replacing, test the resistance of your pickup coil. The part is priced cheap online and is fairly easy to replace if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. Let us know if you got this problem fixed and if the pickup coil ended up to be the culprit in your case.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I test if my fuel pump is working? broham 1 3,429 05-06-2017, 05:24 AM
Last Post: RuggedNorth
  2005 650 Custom wont turn over wont push start!! Ben2463 0 1,925 02-26-2017, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Ben2463
  Fuel coming out of the exhaust.... lukerasta 2 2,014 06-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Last Post: pauli466
Emoticon_wink 2006 Yamaha Vstar 650 Hard to start after sitting over night jcfulwood 4 3,722 04-14-2015, 09:27 AM
Last Post: jcfulwood