Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
12-23-2012, 05:57 AM,
Need advice about old xvs 650
Hi everyone.
Have never riden any v star so have 0 experience concerning the mechanical side of this bike. Thinking about getting xvs 650 but the budget is restricted by my wifeAngry. So I found one of made at 2000 yer with 59000km on the odometer. Could you tel me what sort of common issues I should expect from the engine, gearbox and other parts? Does the engine require major repair at this stage?
Regards.
12-23-2012, 07:28 AM,
RE: Need advice about old xvs 650
Hi Mate Welcome to the forum, I don't have a 650 so really can't answer anything specific but 59K in not a great deal for most modern bike engines these days and equates to less that 5000a year. You also have to look at what environment the bike has been used / stored in i.e. in the wet and cold or one of the sunshine states. Hope it all works out for you and you are out on the road cruising very soon. As you are new to the star range I will warn you about the starting procedure, JUST use your thumb on the starter rather than wrapping your hand round the throttle, press the starter button and keep it pressed as the engines do kick back and it does them NO favours. You may think you are being kind to your starter with short stabs at it but you are not keep it depressed until it starts or at least 30 - 40 seconds.
Hope this is of some help but as I said I am talking from an 1100 perspective but the engines are not that different.
Let us know how you get on.Biggrin
Merry Christmas and happy new Bike.
Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/groups/500081916681785/
v star 1100 classic
K & N air filter
Hazard lights
Autocoms Bike 2 Bike
DIY Rider backrest
Chrome edging on fenders screen & tank edge
Flag holder
Rear indicator flag holders
Jardine ORK
DIY Lower wind deflectors
Leather leaver covers.

12-23-2012, 08:14 AM,
Thanks Ken. Appreciate your advice. Hopefully will have a look at the bike tomorrow arvo. I live in Adelaide. lots of sun,
Merry Christmas.
12-23-2012, 12:12 PM,
Here's a link to a thread here about the 650s rear drive splines ... the OP mentioned bikes older than 2006 had issues with them...something with not being greased and them wearing out. The OP did fix it himself and wrote a how to.

Not saying the bike your looking at has problems but its something to consider.

Here's the link > http://www.vstarforum.com/final-drive-Thread
LoLrcycle rider Cool
12-23-2012, 02:24 PM,
Hello.i have a 650 custom.as ken said when starting stay off the stick.if it has been well maintained the miles should not be a prob.keep the only prob i had was foot brake sticking.keep all lube points done and it goes away.as far as riding its ok.i don't like the vibration i get at 60mph.but with small vtwins.u have to expect some of that.be safe hope this helped you on your decision.
live life full throttle....2008 vstar custom.
12-23-2012, 04:41 PM,
(12-23-2012, 08:14 AM)MDCAT Wrote: Thanks Ken. Appreciate your advice. Hopefully will have a look at the bike tomorrow arvo. I live in Adelaide. lots of sun,
Merry Christmas.

First of all welcome to another from The Colonies. Mate, as the other members have stated if the bike has been treated correctly than you have no problems. A mate of mine (yes @jmck I do have one - even if he was Navy, someone had to befriend him!! Biggrin) has a 650 and he has ridden it 'round Australia with no problems he just kept the regular services up to it .... oh and tyres it was loaded to the gunwales. His son rides it now around Victoria and he has stepped up to the v star 1300.
Enjoy your new ride get mum up on it and she will be itching to get out and about at every opportunity.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Gibbo Cool
12-23-2012, 06:45 PM,
I too own a 650 and will agree with the others. If it has been properly maintained, it will be fine. For these bikes, an oil change, and greasing the splines is about all there is to it. The 650 is a very durable bike, and there are alot of simple modifications you can do to personalize it. From an economical stand point, you can't go wrong. So, if he will not let you ride it, see if he will take it for a slow spin past you. Listen close for any noise or clicking that you may hear. The engine should have a touch of valve noise but not too much. The rear end should be silent. I hope all goes well for you, and the boss..er wife see's fit to let you buy it. If not that one, keep an eye open for others. Again, the 650 is a great bike, and I don't think you will be disappointed.
12-23-2012, 07:43 PM,
Thank you all guys for the throughout answers. Very informative. If the bike in descent condition I'll definitely get it. If it requires some minor fixing that's not a drama, since I'm a CAT mechanic. Again, thanks a lot
12-24-2012, 12:16 AM,
All right. Bought this bike. It started straight at one click on the starter button. The engine runs smoothly without clicking or misfiring and has quick throttle response. It is still at the dealer's place and will be delivered to me at Thursday arvo. So will be bothering you with hips of silly questions.:)
12-24-2012, 12:31 AM,
(12-24-2012, 12:16 AM)MDCAT Wrote: All right. Bought this bike. It started straight at one click on the starter button. The engine runs smoothly without clicking or misfiring and has quick throttle response. It is still at the dealer's place and will be delivered to me at Thursday arvo. So will be bothering you with hips of silly questions.:)

Congrats! Ask away. I love to talk about the 650, and will help if I can.
12-24-2012, 01:15 AM,
Thanks mate.
12-24-2012, 06:10 AM,
(12-24-2012, 12:16 AM)MDCAT Wrote: All right. Bought this bike. It started straight at one click on the starter button. The engine runs smoothly without clicking or misfiring and has quick throttle response. It is still at the dealer's place and will be delivered to me at Thursday arvo. So will be bothering you with hips of silly questions.:)

That's great news mate enjoy your new ride and looking forward to the pictures. :-)
Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/groups/500081916681785/
v star 1100 classic
K & N air filter
Hazard lights
Autocoms Bike 2 Bike
DIY Rider backrest
Chrome edging on fenders screen & tank edge
Flag holder
Rear indicator flag holders
Jardine ORK
DIY Lower wind deflectors
Leather leaver covers.

12-24-2012, 09:21 AM,
Sure. Thanks
01-10-2013, 08:04 AM,
Hi guys. Just a silly question. First of all, please do not answer this question like “ You sell your xvs 650 and get a xvs 1100). The reason is, in my state (SA), L plate riders have to stick to LAMS (Learners approved) motorcycles for couple of years. So the max capacity for cruisers is 650. I really don’t like the look of thick rear tire. Thus, I started thinking of getting some 18` rear wheel. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any available for xvs 650. However, the RC offers 18` forged wheels for xvs 1100.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/forged...igodigital

I know that at xvs 650 the rear splines hub has the splines located inside, whereas xvs 1100’s one has the splines located outside. Looking at pics of both the splines hubs it seems to me that there is nothing prevents me from swapping of my xvs 650’s splines to the xvs 1100’s wheel. The flanges looks pretty the same for me. What do you recon?
Cannot upload the pics of both hubs, but I'm pretty sure you have the idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XVS1100-X...5542719%26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XVS650-V-...20&vxp=mtr
01-10-2013, 08:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2013, 09:05 AM by jhennly.)
(01-10-2013, 08:04 AM)MDCAT Wrote: Hi guys. Just a silly question. First of all, please do not answer this question like “ You sell your xvs 650 and get a xvs 1100). The reason is, in my state (SA), L plate riders have to stick to LAMS (Learners approved) motorcycles for couple of years. So the max capacity for cruisers is 650. I really don’t like the look of thick rear tire. Thus, I started thinking of getting some 18` rear wheel. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any available for xvs 650. However, the RC offers 18` forged wheels for xvs 1100.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/forged...igodigital

I know that at xvs 650 the rear splines hub has the splines located inside, whereas xvs 1100’s one has the splines located outside. Looking at pics of both the splines hubs it seems to me that there is nothing prevents me from swapping of my xvs 650’s splines to the xvs 1100’s wheel. The flanges looks pretty the same for me. What do you recon?
Cannot upload the pics of both hubs, but I'm pretty sure you have the idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XVS1100-X...5542719%26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XVS650-V-...20&vxp=mtr

You and I are on the same page. I've looked into swapping the rear wheel myself. I don't currently have the funding to try it out, but I'm definitely going to look into it a soon as I'm able. Like you I've looked at pictures, and have an idea that it may work. You will have to add the XVS 1100 entire brake set up because they use a rotor instead of a drum. The same would be the case for the older XS 1100. I've looked into that as well. I have read about an older virago wheel swap, but some that have tried it had bad results. I do know that the older XV wheels are indeed thinner than that of the XVS wheels. I've actually given thought to swapping the entire wheel and final drive for the XVS 1100, but I'm not sure if the width of the swing arm for the 650 will accommodate the drive and wheel of the 1100. I still need to do some measuring. I have compared part numbers between the two and know that the coupling/yoke where the drive shaft slides in is the same for both bikes. So, in that aspect I know it will work. They also use the same u-joint numbers, and several other internal parts. I'm still doing a bit of research to see what I can determine. I have swapped the front wheel for the older XS 1100, but like I said, funding is short so the rear had to wait. I have a couple of links comparing the 1100 and 650 that may help with your research. Good luck with it if you decide to take this on. Here are the links I mentioned that will allow you to compare part numbers.

This is the 650 rear schematic

Here is the 1100

I will add, I do have a couple more links that allow you to search for the parts of both bikes, as well as older comparable bikes. I also have quite a few pictures saved on my pc that I can send you as well. Like I mentioned, I don't have the funding currently for this project, but I'll be happy to share with you any information I have found. Maybe between the two of us, we can get this done. If so, I'm sure there will be alot of happy 650 owners out there knowing that they now have other wheel options besides just the stocker.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on adjusting carburetor? armstrong25 4 1,486 03-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Last Post: pauli466
  Windshield bag advice? sky5900 2 1,226 10-13-2015, 02:06 PM
Last Post: eruby
  Exhaust Advice Parducci181 2 1,278 10-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Keith