Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
01-21-2013, 12:57 AM,
clutch q for the other 250 riders
Ive read that the clutch engages very late on our bikes but i have reason to suspect my clutch is worn down to far. I end up almost releasing the clutch fully to engage and my clutch cable is maxed out as far as tightening it up. Also i have had difficulty getting the bike to downshift twice before and i even got a false neutral light once! Does anyone else have some experience with this particular bike? Is this normal for the cheesy 250?
01-23-2013, 11:41 PM,
RE: clutch q for the other 250 riders
dang! nobody knows?
01-24-2013, 04:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2013, 04:59 AM by Mr RCOM.)
Lol when you're doing burn outs stop slipping the clutch so much jeeeeeeez

Sorry but I have no info for you. Have you tried Googling your issue? In the past I've had problems and a Google search would lead me to another Yamaha forum or some place really random but it would have the answer. Not saying this ones bad lol but if you haven't tried I'd Google.

Oh yeah.... on the trouble down shifting part. I used to have a Honda rebel and after awhile the shifting linkages would get sloppy and I'd have to tighten it up. Like I'd be going from neutral to 1st and it would like "bind up" so to say and I'd have to basically kick it down lol.
LoLrcycle rider Cool
01-24-2013, 09:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2013, 09:58 PM by jhennly.)
(01-23-2013, 11:41 PM)apsolus Wrote: dang! nobody knows?

The clutch did release a bit far out, same as the 650. I didn't have much trouble with ours though. I'm afraid I can't be much help. Once it was in first, you could release it without any throttle and it would pull enough to get rolling. After that, sometimes I use the clutch, sometimes not. On the down shifting, have you tightened the chain lately. For some reason, if it's to loose or tight, you'll get some trouble out of it.
01-25-2013, 12:30 AM,
thanks for the tips
08-07-2013, 11:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013, 11:58 AM by VRON.)
(01-21-2013, 12:57 AM)apsolus Wrote: Ive read that the clutch engages very late on our bikes but i have reason to suspect my clutch is worn down to far. I end up almost releasing the clutch fully to engage and my clutch cable is maxed out as far as tightening it up. Also i have had difficulty getting the bike to downshift twice before and i even got a false neutral light once! Does anyone else have some experience with this particular bike? Is this normal for the cheesy 250?
I just yesterday I got back from the shop and he told me that there's nothing I can do with the adjustments for the late disengagement of the clutch.
It's just the nature of the Yamaha beast on a lot of models.

You have also not told us how many miles or the age of your bike.

I did however read that since the clutch is a wet clutch the amount of oil and it's correct level will affect the clutch and it's shifting.
If your oil level is too high it will cause miss-shifts and such. So make sure that your oil level is at the correct level according to the sight glass on the right cover.

This may or may not help but oil levels and such should always be checked and often.

I hope this helps.
Bike : 2009 V Star 250
You can put a bowling ball in an oven, but that don't make it a biscuit.
08-07-2013, 02:31 PM,
@VRON I had the same late clutch engagement on my wife's 2012 250 until I bent the clutch lever a little. By doing that, besides bringing the lever closer to the bar it increased the friction zone nicely. Now engages much earlier giving a bigger friction zone.
In the pic, the stock lever is on top.

[Image: yza3eguj.jpg]
2007 v star 650 Classic, raven with ghost flames
08-07-2013, 03:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013, 03:12 PM by VRON.)
(08-07-2013, 02:31 PM)rsmed1 Wrote: @VRON I had the same late clutch engagement on my wife's 2012 250 until I bent the clutch lever a little. By doing that, besides bringing the lever closer to the bar it increased the friction zone nicely. Now engages much earlier giving a bigger friction zone.
In the pic, the stock lever is on top.

[Image: yza3eguj.jpg]

I have read about that and considered it but with my luck the lever would break .
I might try heating it up with a hair dryer to try to make it a little more pliable .
It does not look like it is bent too much though.
how did you bend it...vise and pipe or something like that?

There is a lever replacement which is called " The Clevver" but he does not make them for the 250 but said that
he might try to do it and see what happens. Maybe if enough of us write to him requesting one he would see the need and profitability and start making them for the 250.
He made them for the 650 mostly.
He basically drills a different " pivot" hole and mills out the channel the cable fits in and I suppose it's the same as bending the handle ...creating a different leverage / pivot point.

thanks

ride safe
08-07-2013, 04:18 PM,
What I did was buy an extra stock clutch lever for around $13 in case it snapped. I wrapped it in a hand towel, placed it in a vice and put a pipe on it and gently bent it a little at a time, taking it out a few times to see how much it had bent. I didn't want to push my luck and go any further so I stopped. Once I installed it, that little bit of bend made a huge difference.

I did buy the Clevver for my 650 and it worked wonders.
08-07-2013, 04:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013, 04:29 PM by VRON.)
(08-07-2013, 04:18 PM)rsmed1 Wrote: What I did was buy an extra stock clutch lever for around $13 in case it snapped. I wrapped it in a hand towel, placed it in a vice and put a pipe on it and gently bent it a little at a time, taking it out a few times to see how much it had bent. I didn't want to push my luck and go any further so I stopped. Once I installed it, that little bit of bend made a huge difference.

I did buy the Clevver for my 650 and it worked wonders.
You wrapped the whole thing and then put it in a vice...what part did you put the pipe on and what part did you put in the vice?
It's hard to judge just how much you actually bent it....looks to be about 3/8 of an inch or there about .

About a month ago I did write to the guy and he said that he was thinking about getting a lever for the 250 and doing some R & D with it and to ask again in about a month...that was a month ago and I did just write him back and have not received an answer as of today.

How hard is it to remove the lever and put the new " bent " one on and still retain the original adjustment ?
I have never done this before but it does not seem too involved.

And I still think that all of us who would like to try the "Clevver" should write him and let him know there's profit in numbers.

thanks
08-07-2013, 04:41 PM,
Yes, I wrapped the whole thing basically just so I wouldn't scratch it up. I put the 'base' part n the vise with the tip sticking out. Then slid a metal pipe over it to where I thought would be the best place to bend it.

When I installed the Clevver on my 650, I had to remove the stock lever, so when I did it on the 250 it was the same.
You can look at the lever removal step-by-step instructions here: http://theclevver.com/instructions.htm
08-07-2013, 04:51 PM,
(08-07-2013, 04:41 PM)rsmed1 Wrote: Yes, I wrapped the whole thing basically just so I wouldn't scratch it up. I put the 'base' part n the vise with the tip sticking out. Then slid a metal pipe over it to where I thought would be the best place to bend it.

When I installed the Clevver on my 650, I had to remove the stock lever, so when I did it on the 250 it was the same.
You can look at the lever removal step-by-step instructions here: http://theclevver.com/instructions.htm
Looks like it's something I am going to have to explore.
thanks
08-07-2013, 07:55 PM,
(08-07-2013, 04:41 PM)rsmed1 Wrote: Yes, I wrapped the whole thing basically just so I wouldn't scratch it up. I put the 'base' part n the vise with the tip sticking out. Then slid a metal pipe over it to where I thought would be the best place to bend it.

This is the reply I received this after noon.
It looks like unless I want to use a 650 Clevver and housing I am out of luck for a " Clevver" .
I thought you all might like to know what Roger said.
  • Re: Clevver is needed...‏

The Clevver (clevver@cfl.rr.com)

[Image: clear.gif]

To: Ron .

[Image: bluemanmxl.png]

Hi Ron,

Spent yesterday at the Yamaha dealers doing some research on the

It turns out that the point in the lever where the cable would seat
is too thin to accommodate the cable end.

Sorry, I see no safe way making a Clevver-type modification could
be done...except for one. That would be

to change out the lever housing and install the Clevver. Both
the Clevver and the housing are polished aluminum

and the lever is about 3/8” thicker than your lever...so it will be
different than your brake lever and housing.

I sell the Clevver with housing for 650 & 1100 Customs on my
website.

Regards,

Roger
08-07-2013, 08:08 PM,
Thanks for the update. I was wondering if he would make one for the 250.

Ok, so now order yourself a stock clutch lever, get a vise and hollow pipe and get to bending. :-)
08-07-2013, 08:19 PM,
(08-07-2013, 08:08 PM)rsmed1 Wrote: Thanks for the update. I was wondering if he would make one for the 250.

Ok, so now order yourself a stock clutch lever, get a vise and hollow pipe and get to bending. :-)
That sounds like a plan to me.
I can't see spending the money for a " Clevver" and the housing for what might not look too good not matching and all for $68 + shipping & handling.

So , I will be bending it like....well ...me.

Do you think it could be done on the handle bar using a large pipe between the lever and grip and taking a smaller cheater bar and trying it that way?
Does not sound like a good plan does it ?

So I do have a vice....oh, ....I'm not talking about that kind.... I'm talking about the bench kind.

Thanks
Ronnie