Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
04-07-2013, 12:45 PM,
Speedometer accuracy
Hey,

I recently purchased a new 2012 v star 950 and I noticed that my speedometer is off. My wife had the cruise set in the car for 112 km/h and I followed here and my speedometer showed I was going 125 km/h. Does anyone else have this issue? Should I take it in to get checked out?

Thanks

Steve
04-07-2013, 07:29 PM,
RE: Speedometer accuracy
Maybe the car is wrong haha!

But like a 13km/h is quite a bit I'd think.... if its still like under warranty or anything you might as well. You know? Its like you could spend some time at a shop while its getting looked at or you could spend some time while a cop is writing you a ticket! Lol I know what I'd choose
LoLrcycle rider Cool
04-07-2013, 07:40 PM,
Yeah. I got 4 years warranty so I think I will call and ask them about it. Thanks for your input
04-07-2013, 07:42 PM,
Yeah no problem dude... or mate haha!

Welcome to the forum!
LoLrcycle rider Cool
04-07-2013, 08:17 PM,
I know a few star riders with the same issue, in here Australia I believe that vehicles are allowed to have a 10% discrepancy and still comply with design regulations, which wont help you if you get a ticket. but in most cases I know of and your case your speed is over indicated so you wont get a ticket unless you are really flying. Let us know how you go a the dealership it would be good to know if they will fix it.
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
04-08-2013, 04:41 AM,
I'm now wondering if my speedo is off? I can't really tell but i'll have my friend match me and we'll see.
"Cruising a 2007 six5zero V'Star Classic in the city of Lost Angels"
04-25-2013, 05:14 PM,
as far as i know, most recent metric production bikes have this same speedometer setting. it's not an issue, it's a factory setting. your speedo should be pretty accurate up to about 40mph, and anything over will show about 10% faster than your actual speed. many have tried to get an official word from Yamaha as to the reason but have only received a vague answer that it is normal and so that international bikes can apply to customs standards. there are devices you can attach to your ECU that will correct the accuracy. just do an internet search for speedo correction or similar.
Ride to work. Work to ride.
i make motorcycle videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/whitedevil2/videos
05-29-2013, 04:53 AM,
I thought mine was over reading too because everyone seemed to be overtaking me even though it was showing 110 on the freeway. I taped the GPS from the car to the handlebars and sure enough, at 60km/h the GPS read 51, at 80km/h the GPS read 69 (huge difference) and at 100km/h the GPS read 89. A very big discrepancy I know, but I didn't worry too much because at least I've got a good margin that will keep me out of trouble with the cameras. It does look like the 950 does have a particularly inaccurate speedo, but in the best "direction". The discrepancy isn't linear either which makes it a little harder to explain, and I'm sure pretty much impossible to diagnose. I'd be interested to hear what the dealership has to say, but most instrument techs I know would say if it is reading over, leave it alone. Reading under is obviously a bigger problem, and no doubt a roadworthy issue.
Let us know how it goes.
05-29-2013, 09:29 AM,
My 2012 1300 reads 5 MPH more than actual speed. So I am actually a bit safer when it comes to police.
Reads 60MPH Actual 55MPH from 0 to 100 MPH it is 5 MPH lower.
Doc
2012 1300 T Highway Bars, Passing Lights, Passenger Floor Boards, K&N Filter, LED Brake light module, Power Point, Ram Mount GPS, Mustang Vintage Seats, Luggage Rack, Bucks Lowers, Screaming Banshee Horn, LED Fogs, Volt Gauge, Saddle Bag Guards, Radiator Cover, Boss Bags trunk, Kurykin Longhorn pegs
05-29-2013, 12:17 PM,
I've never had any motorcycle that didn't read 5 mph faster than I was actually going. I've verified this with my GPS on the last two. This at highway speeds though. The slower you go, the more accurate they tend to be. From what I hear from my older biker friends, it's always been that way. Why they can't correct this after 150 years of motorcycle manufacturing is beyond me.
06-18-2013, 04:19 PM,
I passed a speed checker (with no one else on the road) sat. & set the speedo on 50(in a 45)& was clocked at 45 8-O .I dont like this for 2 reasons,,1 I like to know how fast or slow i'm going... 2 It puts miles on the speedo that are not on you bike!!! if you dont ride much no biggy, but if you put 20k ayear you are adding 2k to that. I have had my 950 for 1-1/2 mths & have already clocked 1500mi with more than a week of rain.
09-04-2013, 09:16 AM,
(05-29-2013, 04:53 AM)xvs950 Wrote: I thought mine was over reading too because everyone seemed to be overtaking me even though it was showing 110 on the freeway. I taped the GPS from the car to the handlebars and sure enough, at 60km/h the GPS read 51, at 80km/h the GPS read 69 (huge difference) and at 100km/h the GPS read 89. A very big discrepancy I know, but I didn't worry too much because at least I've got a good margin that will keep me out of trouble with the cameras. It does look like the 950 does have a particularly inaccurate speedo, but in the best "direction". The discrepancy isn't linear either which makes it a little harder to explain, and I'm sure pretty much impossible to diagnose. I'd be interested to hear what the dealership has to say, but most instrument techs I know would say if it is reading over, leave it alone. Reading under is obviously a bigger problem, and no doubt a roadworthy issue.
Let us know how it goes.
When I changed the dial face on my speedo I adjusted the needle back about 10 KPH it is bang on now
I prefer to know I am doing 100 when I am actually doing 100 Have checked it against GPS and other bikes, accurate with all
09-04-2013, 04:21 PM,
Mine on the '12 950 is spot on. I just went out in the garage and looked at it and it said zero and the bike is standing stock still. Smile

All joking aside, how does an electronic speedometer work without a sensor counting the revolutions on a moving part? Magic?
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
09-04-2013, 06:55 PM,
Not magic Vodoo

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
09-04-2013, 07:05 PM,
My 1300 reads high between 5 - 8 kph! I checked this against my GPS and now know that at 100 kph on my speedo (approx. 60 mph) I am actually doing 95 kph (approx. 55 mph) so I am well and truly under the radar. A GPS is the best way to check speedo accuracy the dealer will probably tell you that they can do nothing for it.

Gibbo