Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
06-19-2013, 05:18 AM,
anybody had trouble with final drive/rear end?
Yeah, I just wondering about that as i've heard some stories bout it going out due to lack of ? grease or fluid?
I do hear a hum when i desel but not sure so i will ck. the level at the plug by the wheel but is there other things i might want to also ck out? just wondering.
"Cruising a 2007 six5zero V'Star Classic in the city of Lost Angels"
07-30-2013, 03:06 PM,
RE: anybody had trouble with final drive/rear end?
if you don't show signs of a leak and you change the fluid regularly you should be fine. The shaft bearing is what you need to be concerned about. and that only if you see signs of a leak and or metal in you fluid when you change it.
07-30-2013, 08:39 PM,
i think the issue is the hub and spline
and using the right kind of grease
2007 1100 custom,cobra longs and pods,doubled clutch spring.
11-20-2014, 06:12 AM,
I noticed some click-click sound when i hand spun the tire slowly and seems to come from the hub area. also did find enough fine silver stuff when changing the fluid so i did flush it a couple times till clean BUT now wondering if that bearing is making the clickity click as if either dry or now short a ball bearing. Does it even have that type of bearing or tapered? any thoughts?
I did all the other lubing on splines etc. with no problem other than a worn shaft/hub dust cover(boot). Oh and the front Big dust cover on the u joint housing was replaced because it was eaten by the drive shaft rubbing on it. Now with the new one i see it is being pulled down by the shaft to an egg shape instead of its normal round seal. What could be causing that i wonder? anyone?
Think i'll put this as new post somewhere else too. see if others might know. thanks
"Cruising a 2007 six5zero V'Star Classic in the city of Lost Angels"
11-20-2014, 10:37 AM,
hmmm, just sounds like if the cover is being pulled on like that, that the bearing would be the only thing allowing the shaft to move enough to cause it, thats with it not right any longer so not keeping the shaft aligned properly, so it is tending to wobble.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

04-23-2015, 10:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2015, 10:48 AM by pauli466.)
(11-20-2014, 06:12 AM)rudyjoe Wrote: I noticed some click-click sound when i hand spun the tire slowly and seems to come from the hub area. also did find enough fine silver stuff when changing the fluid so i did flush it a couple times till clean BUT now wondering if that bearing is making the clickity click as if either dry or now short a ball bearing. Does it even have that type of bearing or tapered? any thoughts?
I did all the other lubing on splines etc. with no problem other than a worn shaft/hub dust cover(boot). Oh and the front Big dust cover on the u joint housing was replaced because it was eaten by the drive shaft rubbing on it. Now with the new one i see it is being pulled down by the shaft to an egg shape instead of its normal round seal. What could be causing that i wonder? anyone?
Think i'll put this as new post somewhere else too. see if others might know. thanks
it ovals out because the suspension moves the shaft up and down and in and out. it's normal that it's egged the universal joint is under that boot which allows for that movement.

(04-23-2015, 10:43 AM)pauli466 Wrote:
(11-20-2014, 06:12 AM)rudyjoe Wrote: I noticed some click-click sound when i hand spun the tire slowly and seems to come from the hub area. also did find enough fine silver stuff when changing the fluid so i did flush it a couple times till clean BUT now wondering if that bearing is making the clickity click as if either dry or now short a ball bearing. Does it even have that type of bearing or tapered? any thoughts?
it ovals out because the suspension moves the shaft up and down and in and out. it's normal that it's egged the universal joint is under that boot which allows for that nessary movement.
04-24-2015, 11:01 AM,
(07-30-2013, 08:39 PM)nick59 Wrote: i think the issue is the hub and spline
and using the right kind of grease
clicking is most times caused by hub misalignment or the coupler striping out from lack of grease in some cases the pinion strips out with the coupler. there's a video on you tube that is all about the vstar differental
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  final drive garyj044 2 286 03-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Last Post: garyj044
  Final drive extension??? Jeff Enforcer 0 932 02-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Jeff Enforcer
  '97 xvs650 Dragstar Drive Shaft Ned 0 862 11-01-2016, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Ned
  Trouble Starting indie_rocker 48 11,892 06-03-2015, 04:38 AM
Last Post: indie_rocker
  rear drive assembly bsymes39 4 2,238 06-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Last Post: jhennly