Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
07-24-2013, 10:13 AM,
Difficulty to get the stock muffler of a 950
Hi. I just got my new Vance and Hines slip-on, but I can´t get the stock muffler of. I am at this step:

2. Loosen and remove bolts holding muffler to mounting
bracket.

Well the bolts don´t want to come off. They started to loosen, but then it suddenly felt like the threads where gone. I can move the muffler from side to side (slightly), but the bolts are in, so can´t get it off. Tried to pull them out with tweezers :P
Anyone had the same problem? I want my awesome sounding pipes ;)

Cheers :D

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

07-24-2013, 05:11 PM,
RE: Difficulty to get the stock muffler of a 950
It sounds as if you have backed the bolts out all the way of the threads and now there is side pressure that is jus holding them in. I would put a little more pressure on the moving the muffler. Maybe you are being too timid.
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
07-24-2013, 06:17 PM,
(07-24-2013, 05:11 PM)commonground Wrote: It sounds as if you have backed the bolts out all the way of the threads and now there is side pressure that is jus holding them in. I would put a little more pressure on the moving the muffler. Maybe you are being too timid.
I have janked so hard on it that the suspension moves and the fuel starts to move in the tank. So not timid :)
07-24-2013, 07:01 PM,
Difficulty to get the stock muffler of a 950
I do wonder if the threads are stripped. I was putting an engine guard an a new star 250 and one of the nuts I was putting back on (near the foot peg) easily mis-threaded and prevented me from being able to get the nut on. So I ordered a new stock nut and was able to get it on.

Stripped threads are no fun. Might have to pull so hard the bike about falls over. :-)

2007 V-Star 650 Classic | Raven with Ghost Flames | BUB Exhaust
2007 v star 650 Classic, raven with ghost flames
07-25-2013, 05:32 AM,
@xvs950 has done this, are you out there mate. I know he did say the stock muffler was heavy as hell
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
07-25-2013, 06:45 AM,
I got it off with the help of a friend. One had to pull the muffler hard upwards, while the other screwed the bolts out. But now I can´t get the heat shield loosened to get the new muffler under it :P A really hard to reach screw xD I think I am just going to get some professionals to do it :P I can drive a few weeks without the muffler :P
07-25-2013, 07:17 AM,
@Dodraugen Congrats on the removal. I bought the ball end hex wrenches in metric to do some of the bolts on the bike. Sometimes you just can't get a straight shot at them.
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.