Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
08-03-2013, 11:29 PM,
"Warning Signs" specific to used V* 250?
Within the next three to six weeks, depending on my job, I'm going to be looking for a bike. I'm pretty much set on a V* 250 (BTW, I'm returning to riding after 30 years away and with some fairly serious chronic health issues). I've pretty much settled on the 250 primarily because with my current health I don't think I can right a 500lb bike if I drop it in the driveway, even though I know how to right a bike. I think I can still manage to get a 350lb bike back on the rubber, though I haven't had the "opportunity" to try.

I straddled a friend's loaded-out V* 1100 and moved it around a bit and it was no problem to keep it upright (gotta luv low seats), but if anything ever happened where I did drop it I wouldn't be able to get it back on the rubber without the help of three men and a boy or an engine hoist... :)

Anyway, the point of this post is to ask about things to look at specific to the V* 250 if I decide to buy used. I'm pretty much familiar with the general stuff to look for, and honestly I'm not crazy about buying a used "beginner" bike and may just go with a new one, anyway. But if I stumble across something that looks like a good deal on a late model bike with 5k or less miles, what should I look out for as "danger signs?"

Thanks,
John
08-04-2013, 01:29 AM,
RE: "Warning Signs" specific to used V* 250?
I think here or someplace else there was a video on how to pick up heavy bikes by yourself. Anywho in the vid a older woman was able to pick up a big goldwing by herself.

So don't sell youself short! But get what your comfortable with.
LoLrcycle rider Cool
08-04-2013, 01:30 AM,
Have you considered a 650? I think you may find that the 250 could be a little underpowered for you. If you sat on an 1100 and liked it, go to a dealer and try out a 650! Just a suggestion, I'd hate to think that after all this time you come back to riding only to find that -even with the problems you have - you can walk quicker than the bike!!

You stated
(08-03-2013, 11:29 PM)OldePhart Wrote: "and honestly I'm not crazy about buying a used "beginner" bike and may just go with a new one, anyway".
Therein lies one warning sign to my way of thinking.

Down here in The Colonies 650's are learner legal, it also makes sense that you come back to the correct machine that has the capability to get you out of mischief should you get into any.

My advice, whatever you decide on, and the decision is entirely yours at the end of the day, plunge for a new one. You have warranty for one thing, which is something that doesn't come with a used machine of any calibre.

Gibbo
08-04-2013, 01:30 AM,
Sorry I didn't have any answers to your original question though
LoLrcycle rider Cool
08-04-2013, 03:59 AM,
there is even a strap thingy for picky up fallen bikes, though I a stuffed if I can find a link. there are pleanty of riders who can't pick up their dyna super road ecltra hog thing alone, I would serious consider the 650. especially as a returning rider you liked the feel of the 11 and are not crazy about buying a used "beginner" bike, you wont get that under powered feeling on the 650 unless you do big trips
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
08-04-2013, 05:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2013, 05:56 PM by OldePhart.)
@MrRCOM - thanks. I know the technique in the video - it works well, too, assuming that you've got some muscle mass left. :) Back in the day I probably could've gotten my friend's 1100 back on the rubber without breaking a sweat. I still can't figure out why all this stuff I take for my heart, which is a muscle, destroys muscle tissue so fast - makes no sense to me.

I need to find somebody with a 650 that they will lay down (gently in the grass) so I can see if I can get it back on the rubber. Any volunteers? LOL

EDIT: Oh, and I really am inclined to buy new - especially if I go with a 250...

John
08-04-2013, 07:21 PM,
@OldePhart, when I went out to buy any of my rides, the one thing/thought that never entered my head was what you're talking about -"What happens if I drop it - will I be able to get it back up on it's wheels by myself?" As it turned out the 3 "soft" lay downs someone always seemed to come along to help me, just as soon as they stopped laughing that is!!!

Mate, what I'm trying to say here is; "Don't worry about that aspect of it."

Gibbo
08-04-2013, 07:21 PM,
I started with a used 250 that had 2400 miles on it. Great little bike. It was a little light (315 pounds) for interstate travel but, really a fun bike.

I moved up to a used 650 Custom with 1600 miles. It had more power and weight (515 pounds). It was better on the big roads and with the shaft drive, there was less maintenance (cleaning, lubricating and tightening) and no chain noise. The 650 is an all round nice bike.

I would go along with the recommendations to try a 650 to see how you like it.

Probably the chain drive system is the part on the used 250 that should have the closest scrutiny. I would look at chain wear, sprocket wear front and back and records of regular oil and filter changes. With a new one you will still have the chain maintenance on a 250 to consider.

Best of luck in your quest.
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
08-05-2013, 08:27 PM,
That's a good point @Gibbo - in several years of riding on the street I only ever had to pick up my bike once. (That was on the street, we won't talk about how many times I've had to pick dirt bikes up... LOL )

If I do decide to go to a larger bike though I may rethink the cruiser thing and go with something like the Honda CB500X - it's not that far off from a lot of the old Honda twins I rode back when (other than being much more technologically refined and having lots of bits of plastic covering up the frame). Still, the riding position and wheelbase is reasonably close to what I was used to.

I even considered a dual sport bike - my last bike before I went overseas was a Suzuki TS400 which I guess these days would be called "dual sport." Two-stroke single-cylinder thumper geared to pull stumps and with pretty good suspension travel (not really moto-x ready, but way more than any real street bike). It was tons of fun. Probably not a good choice in heavy traffic, though. Very nimble but my legs are on the short side (though the last I checked they do reach all the way to the ground) and even when I was young the high seat was not a lot of fun in stop-and-go situations.

99.9% of my riding is going to be in pretty heavy traffic here in the DFW metroplex so whatever I end up with I want it to be fairly "flickable." I love the idea of a cruiser if I can keep it a little bit flickable, not sure that the V* 650s really are - I know my friend's 1100 is anything but. It wasn't hard moving it around, it was well balanced, but you could feel it had plenty of inertia, too, and he has said he isn't too crazy about riding it around town. If I was going to be doing mostly long rides on the highway I'd probably go with something like that, but I'll count myself lucky if I get out of city traffic a couple of times a year.

I may actually buy a smaller bike - pay cash for it - and then if I decide I really have to have a bigger ride for the open road I can always finance one. As far as I know there ain't no laws against owning two bikes... :)

John

(08-04-2013, 07:21 PM)Gibbo Wrote: @OldePhart, when I went out to buy any of my rides, the one thing/thought that never entered my head was what you're talking about -"What happens if I drop it - will I be able to get it back up on it's wheels by myself?" As it turned out the 3 "soft" lay downs someone always seemed to come along to help me, just as soon as they stopped laughing that is!!!

Mate, what I'm trying to say here is; "Don't worry about that aspect of it."

Gibbo
08-10-2013, 08:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-10-2013, 09:05 PM by OldePhart.)
I was at a Honda dealer with a couple of friends today. They had a couple of used V* 650s and after straddling them I have to agree - handling them is not really an issue. I could be happy on one even maneuvering in our crazy traffic.

I made the mistake of sitting on a new Honda CTX700, though. That could seriously challenge my jonesing for a V-Twin... :) They had one with fairing and bags that felt way lighter and more "flickable" than anything else I tried (and I sat on most of the stuff they had from 500CC up, new and used). Also is fuel injected and rated at 64MPG and available with ABS. It's approaching $10k equipped the way I'd want it...but dang it felt good!

I think what made the CTX feel so good was that the saddle is low but not so crazy low like it is on a lot of V-Twins and the pegs seem to be a little further back. So, while it was easy to flat-foot I could also see myself getting up on the pegs to throw the bike around if I had to. I am a bit leery of buying a new model though - made that mistake once with a car and regretted it...

John
08-10-2013, 11:56 PM,
(08-10-2013, 08:59 PM)OldePhart Wrote: I was at a Honda dealer with a couple of friends today. They had a couple of used V* 650s and after straddling them I have to agree - handling them is not really an issue. I could be happy on one even maneuvering in our crazy traffic.

I made the mistake of sitting on a new Honda CTX700, though. That could seriously challenge my jonesing for a V-Twin... :) They had one with fairing and bags that felt way lighter and more "flickable" than anything else I tried (and I sat on most of the stuff they had from 500CC up, new and used). Also is fuel injected and rated at 64MPG and available with ABS. It's approaching $10k equipped the way I'd want it...but dang it felt good!

I think what made the CTX feel so good was that the saddle is low but not so crazy low like it is on a lot of V-Twins and the pegs seem to be a little further back. So, while it was easy to flat-foot I could also see myself getting up on the pegs to throw the bike around if I had to. I am a bit leery of buying a new model though - made that mistake once with a car and regretted it...

John

Sounds like you are down to just needing to test ride the bikes on your short list when you get done making it. Then try to make your decision after that. Its the only way you'll know for sure what you like and whats best for you. Whats best for you is what matters. What handles best, fits best, feels best, etc. Cause if you don't feel sure of yourself while you are riding it, you may eventually quit riding. We spent just over a year looking and testing bikes before we made our decision on the used 950. Dealerships got to know us by name we were in there so much, but hey, we were looking to get a piece of machinery that not everybody has the skill, nerve or desire to drive. There is abit more to this bike buying decision making than say versus buying a car. Bikers are a special breed! We needed to make the right choice, and we did, in our time,and our way, and I'm sure you will too. Good luck to you! Biggrin
'11 950 tour, mustang seats
08-11-2013, 12:21 AM,
To right @shwanky1 buying a bike is like finding a girlfriend. it might look good in the shop, but when you get home you just can't live with it

sent from 2 wheels with the wind in my face and the sun on my back
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
08-11-2013, 12:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-11-2013, 12:33 AM by Gibbo.)
I agree with you both @jmck and @shwanky1, at the end of the day it is what you "feel" inside that makes it work.

Gibbo
08-11-2013, 02:28 AM,
".......if anything ever happened where I did drop it I wouldn't be able to get it back on the rubber without the help of three men and a boy or an engine hoist..."

Right @OldPhart, or just one woman, solo. Tongue
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
08-11-2013, 02:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-11-2013, 02:46 PM by OldePhart.)
@jmck - BWAA-HAAAA. 'Been married to the same woman for 35 years now so either I'm real easy-going or I got lucky on that pick. :)
(08-11-2013, 12:21 AM)jmck Wrote: To right @shwanky1 buying a bike is like finding a girlfriend. it might look good in the shop, but when you get home you just can't live with it

sent from 2 wheels with the wind in my face and the sun on my back

(08-11-2013, 02:28 AM)SnaykByte Wrote: ".......if anything ever happened where I did drop it I wouldn't be able to get it back on the rubber without the help of three men and a boy or an engine hoist..."

Right @OldPhart, or just one woman, solo. Tongue
Heh, heh. I'll have to get my daughter to pick it up for me...

(08-10-2013, 11:56 PM)shwanky1 Wrote: Sounds like you are down to just needing to test ride the bikes on your short list when you get done making it. Then try to make your decision after that. ...
Thanks. What do they say, "getting there is half the fun..." I know that whatever I end up with I'll be keeping for a good long while so I'm in no hurry.

Part of me really wants a V-Twin - always wanted one back in the day and couldn't afford it - but I've gotta admit that from a purely practical standpoint that CTX700 with the DCT and ABS brakes and dressed out is really, really calling my name...feels very nimble for in traffic but has the legs for one up light touring for those occasions when I get a wild hair...or is it wild hare? :)

I'll start shopping seriously next month. I may very well end up paying cash for a little V* 250 with an eye for it being my kicking around town bike and then buy the CTX in about a year after Honda has had a chance to shake any bugs out of the new model...

John