Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
09-11-2013, 02:41 AM,
driving lights / Passing lamps
OK so I have always wanted driving /Passing lights. but would never have forked out the $2-300 they ask for the lightbars
so I bought these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230782720221?...1439.l2649

I haven't got them yet,but not bad for $65 delivered. Now I need to work out a good, cheap, cool way to mount them
so I thought 'P' Clamp to the 7/8 inch light bar that holds up the turn signals, easy. here's the rub Kurakyn make some great ones but there at least $20x2 = $40 then shipping to Australia at least another + $20 = $60 or more for 2 stupid clamps
now I found these
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-ca...62178.html

$10x2=20+$25(shipping) = $45 but still quite expensive for what it is.
Ok I don't have a garage any more (I live in an apartment) so manufacturing something myself is pretty much out, besides I want it to look good.
o.k here my question have you got any ideas on how or where else I could mount these lights?
also should I have them on all the time with the low beam? separate circuit altogether with a switch somewhere? or only with high beams.
For me I think it is more about being seen so the tri-pattern lighting should help that, also they have a pencil beam, so not really sure how effective they will be for lighting the way anyhow.I think I like the on all the time option, but I might put a switch in the circuit, but not necessarily a switch on the bars, ideas?
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
09-11-2013, 04:49 AM,
RE: driving lights / Passing lamps
(09-11-2013, 02:41 AM)jmck Wrote: OK so I have always wanted driving /Passing lights. but would never have forked out the $2-300 they ask for the lightbars
so I bought these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230782720221?...1439.l2649

I haven't got them yet,but not bad for $65 delivered. Now I need to work out a good, cheap, cool way to mount them
so I thought 'P' Clamp to the 7/8 inch light bar that holds up the turn signals, easy. here's the rub Kurakyn make some great ones but there at least $20x2 = $40 then shipping to Australia at least another + $20 = $60 or more for 2 stupid clamps
now I found these
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-ca...62178.html

$10x2=20+$25(shipping) = $45 but still quite expensive for what it is.
Ok I don't have a garage any more (I live in an apartment) so manufacturing something myself is pretty much out, besides I want it to look good.
o.k here my question have you got any ideas on how or where else I could mount these lights?
also should I have them on all the time with the low beam? separate circuit altogether with a switch somewhere? or only with high beams.
For me I think it is more about being seen so the tri-pattern lighting should help that, also they have a pencil beam, so not really sure how effective they will be for lighting the way anyhow.I think I like the on all the time option, but I might put a switch in the circuit, but not necessarily a switch on the bars, ideas?
@jmck I like your thinking. I might suggest that you mount them on your Highway Bar - it's solid no need to worry about vibration which "could" occur if they were to be mounted up on the indicators. This will give you your desired triangular shape and being a pencil beam only you can adjust them to shine straight down the road converging as far ahead of the bike as you can.

As to having them on all the time - check your DMR regs re driving lights, if they're anything like NSW/Vic/Tas they have to be switched in such a fashion that they come on with high beam and also have to be able to be switched off independent of high beam, so a switch in the line from your high beam button to the driving lights would be the go.

Gibbo
09-11-2013, 04:53 AM,
Thanks gibbo I haven't even thought about the regulations, Doh. like engine bar idea but hate wires running down exposed. but like you say as a pennsylvania I can have them focused straight out, a good advantage

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4
Jmck
09-11-2013, 09:38 AM,
man, i run mine all the time, more light and sound, get noticed by cagers.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

09-11-2013, 06:32 PM,
Whatever you go with, take a picture and share it up!

I'd also say...to really get noticed, you could try red and blue lights. A loud siren also can help. If you get in trouble just say some moron in the USA on a motorcycle forum told you to do it....
09-11-2013, 07:02 PM,
I vote engine bar. It's an easy enough place for them.

the wires can be hidden by buying black wires and running them asking the frame. Then on your engine bar, drill a small hole to pull the wires through. Some electrical fishing line would help.

You'll want to wire them into one of the headlight positions just to make using them easy. Also, the OEM ones come with a switch that allows you to turn them off completely. I gather to make starting easier.
09-11-2013, 07:14 PM,
@jmck I agree with @downrangefuture run the wires inside the highway bar where they exit the bar use a small rubber grommet. @Keith and @Matt unfortunately our road authorities have differing points of view when it comes to lights, especially the red & blue variety!!!!

Gibbo
09-11-2013, 07:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 07:19 PM by Agspace.)
driving lights / Passing lamps
@jmck how about covering the wires in these sleeves? Just thinking out loud. I like the look. And I think you get them in colors.

Techflex PTN0.25BK25 Flexo PET General Purpose 1/4-inch Braided Cable Sleeve, Black - 25 Foot
http://amzn.com/B004UHJCFI

Sorry about the double post. I hit reply and it just froze. Then I saw two posts.
09-12-2013, 02:45 AM,
ok thanks for the tips, I like @downrangefuture @Gibbo idea of mounting on the engine bars, for a good tri-patten and running the wires inside the bars.
I have also worked out that the switch is a good idea, but so is a relay and separate fuse, so I think I'll get one for these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FOG-SPOT-LED-...35bd2a93e6
I will have to order some clamps from the US to suit the engine bars, they seem to come by carrier pigeon, so wont get them for a while.
I think I will wire to the low beam, which wont be legal but, with the separate switch I can turn them off when the boys in blue are around.
now the job will be a bit bigger than I first thought but I think it will look a lot better and be a lot more functual. I will update here with pics and an install guide. thanks all for your input
Jmck
09-12-2013, 10:08 AM,
yeah, they do have a switch, which i accidentally found the 1st time washing up the bike, turned em off, was wondering where my light went to the next morn.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replacement Light running/driving outdoor 0 1,156 03-22-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: outdoor
  Passing / driving lights dkerwood01 6 4,399 05-14-2017, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Bilzer
  Mounting a TMS luggage rack with lights Bilzer 0 1,253 05-14-2017, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Bilzer
  Crash Bar's/Sliders & aftermarket lights for 2010 Yamaha V Star 650 Custom lambo2936 0 1,319 04-27-2017, 07:29 PM
Last Post: lambo2936
  passing lamps p36 50w pauli466 0 966 10-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Last Post: pauli466
  passing lamps 35 vs 60 w pauli466 1 1,473 10-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Last Post: mike721
  tail lights mkorish 31 11,754 10-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Last Post: mkorish
  How install hid lights Starboy 33 17,537 11-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Last Post: bayrider
Emoticon_tongue Anyone use magnets to try and trigger stop lights? Mr RCOM 24 11,431 08-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Last Post: zag