Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
09-14-2013, 05:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 05:47 PM by OldePhart.)
I think I had some bad gas
...which is not to be confused with having a bad case of gas...

Anyway, y'all may remember a post a while back where I talked about my new 650 being really cold-natured even in this hot Texas weather. (I couldn't find that thread - the post was off-topic to the thread anyway.)

Well, after it went to reserve and I filled it last week I only had a chance to ride it for a couple of miles until today; and today it was running much more smoothly right from the start.

It's a held-over 2011 that had 1.5 miles on it when I bought it and I bet the little bit of gas that was in it (it went to reserve less than 80 miles after I got it) had been sitting in it for two or three years.

Anyway, that brings up the specter of varnish and raises the question: are there any products you folks riding carbureted bikes recommend for keeping carbs in pristine shape? I haven't had to deal with carbs in probably fifteen to twenty years and about all I remember of them is that they could be finicky and troublesome if ignored.

Thanks,
John

Oh...and to be more specific...

I've noted on a couple of Suzuki S40 forums (I considered one of those before deciding on the V-Star) there seem to be an awful lot of people swearing by putting an ounce or two of Sea Foam in every tank or every second or third tank of fuel. Have any of you tried that product? I guess it's been around for decades but, honestly, I'd never heard of it until I saw the multiple mentions on YouTube and the S40 forums.

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
09-14-2013, 07:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 07:48 PM by jmck.)
RE: I think I had some bad gas
Bought my bike with 15000 miles on it, now it has 70,000. I love and changing to a big air kit I have never touched the carburetors. I use 98 ron fuel, a practice which is much more common in australia than in the US. I doubt it provides more horsepower or better economy, however it burns cleaner. which I believe is essentially what seafoam does

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
09-14-2013, 08:56 PM,
good one john, hah, i second seafoam or just a good can of b12 chemtool, i run some other stuff through mine almost every tank to help with the ethanol issues, will look it up and tell ya, get it from my little shop, lasts long time as you just put in couple ounces each full tank.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

09-14-2013, 09:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 09:13 PM by OldePhart.)
(09-14-2013, 07:47 PM)jmck Wrote: Bought my bike with 15000 miles on it, now it has 70,000. I love and changing to a big air kit I have never touched the carburetors. I use 98 ron fuel, a practice which is much more common in australia than in the US. I doubt it provides more horsepower or better economy, however it burns cleaner. which I believe is essentially what seafoam does

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4
Thanks, over here about all we can get is 87, 89, and I think "premium" is 92 or 93; unless you've got a source to get aviation fuel (in most US states it's actually illegal to run avgas in on-road vehicles). I did put 89 in mine at that fill up because I figured that, while it should run fine on the 87, it might not be a bad idea to break it in on something with a little more cushioning (that's more or less what the higher octane does, cushion the valves and such). I actually would have put the "premium" in it but I've heard that so few Americans are putting premium in their cars that the premium underground tanks often have more water accumulation from disuse than the "regular" and "plus" tanks. I don't know if there's truth to that but I was filling up at a little neighborhood station and didn't feel like testing the theory with my new baby. :)

John

(09-14-2013, 08:56 PM)Keith Wrote: good one john, hah, i second seafoam or just a good can of b12 chemtool, i run some other stuff through mine almost every tank to help with the ethanol issues, will look it up and tell ya, get it from my little shop, lasts long time as you just put in couple ounces each full tank.

I used to use STP and the Chemtool products in my cars. Never really used anything in my bikes back in the day, not that I remember, anyway. Once everything went to fuel injection it seems like cars, anyway, became pretty bullet proof and I haven't used any additives in years. I just sold my 2005 Kia Sportage - about 65k miles - Never used any additives, I think I changed the air filter once and otherwise nothing but regular oil changes, one battery, and tires. Running like a champ and the friend that bought it is tickled pink. (I wouldn't have sold it but neither my wife nor daughter could get the hang of the stick shift and we've only got room to park two cars so I bought a new Kia Forte with an automatic to keep peace in the family.)

John
09-14-2013, 09:35 PM,
removing the sulphur which the old trucks were designed for.
just occasionally run something through her car as she is always goin.
yeah, used to use stp all the time years ago, think that one has not kept up with anything just goes off their name.
well a new interview monday early with a new upstart company, maybe thats the way to go as have not had much luck with the others, keep getting laid off or not interested in the experience.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

09-14-2013, 10:51 PM,
(09-14-2013, 09:35 PM)Keith Wrote: removing the sulphur which the old trucks were designed for.
just occasionally run something through her car as she is always goin.
yeah, used to use stp all the time years ago, think that one has not kept up with anything just goes off their name.
well a new interview monday early with a new upstart company, maybe thats the way to go as have not had much luck with the others, keep getting laid off or not interested in the experience.
Good luck on the interview! I noticed when I crossed forty I suddenly had a harder time finding work - part of the problem of being in any part of the IT industry is the perception that older workers aren't up to date on the latest technologies. Combine that with companies being able to get entry level weenies out of college at half our salaries or less doesn't help.

Right now I've just been handed a product to fix that the "young guns" completely screwed up. They used all the latest "bleeding edge" products from Microsoft without any thought for the fact that those new technologies aren't mature yet and are incredibly slow compared to well-written "old school" code. Now we've got instructors standing in front of students who are paying thousands of dollars for training and the instructor's classroom tools are slower than pond water and finicky as all get out. Ironically, the kids using the "gee whiz" tools took two years to field a tool that is basically unusable - and I'm completely stripping their bleeding edge nonsense out and making the stuff actually work in a matter of a few weeks! If they'd have given me the project from the beginning it probably would have taken me a total of 4 to 6 months to finish, working by myself, and using proven techniques.

I'm all for new technology when it is mature and appropriate, but just using it because it's new, without evaluating the pros and cons, is just downright stupid. And in an enterprise application where your entire operation is dependent on the product working smoothly and reliably makes it even more critical.

John
09-14-2013, 11:17 PM,
I may get yelled at for this, but i will swear by Seafoam
'07 Double One Hundred Custom Black Cherry w/Ghost flames
Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes
Barons ORK
Disabled AIS
Cobra Carb Needles
Every cage is trying to kill you so always remember, Grip it and Rip it!!!

09-15-2013, 12:48 AM,
I have a local "mom and pop" gas station here that say their fuel has less ethanol in it, so I try to stop there when filling up. I did just recently sync the carbs, took off the AIS, and added some Seafoam to the tank, and my bike is running 10 times better than she was. We'll see if there are any mpg improvements when I fill up next.
'07 1100 Custom; Cobra Pipes, Kuryakyn Hypercharger
09-15-2013, 05:39 AM,
Yeah, I do the Seafoam thing too BUT Never put more than a tag or as it stated BECAUSE it could very well eat any rubber rings/seals etc. in a carb or ? I tend to over do it but stopped when i found out it could do that.

Never tried Marvel Mystery Oil on the bike but its great for the cage - oil and gas. Anyone ever tried it on the bike?
"Cruising a 2007 six5zero V'Star Classic in the city of Lost Angels"
09-15-2013, 03:32 PM,
man, just figured out didn get all my copy and paste to the message, yes seafoam, i do additives in the big truck all the time for the fuel, cetane booster which also helps keep the injectors all lubed up as well as tc3 outboard oil to replace the sulphur they removed which my old girl was designed to use.

yep agree on the age part, even harder to find new position with being over 50.

09-15-2013, 03:33 PM,
I'd forgotten about Marvel - used to use it a lot in the oil on a couple of old cars and it really quieted down the lifters and seemed to reduce the amount of oil they used. I don't think I'd want to try much in the way of oil additives on a bike, though, because of the wet clutch. I've heard of people putting "super slick" oil treatments in their bikes only to discover that the clutch wouldn't hold worth a flip.

A little sea foam in the oil on a bike would probably be okay...it's supposedly just something like kerosene with a bit of naptha and alcohol, nothing that should slick the clutch up too much.

John
09-15-2013, 03:46 PM,
oh no, never done it to the oil, seafoam in the fuel, did it to a old gen, helped quite a lot as the fuel had gone bad.

09-15-2013, 04:00 PM,
I've seen a couple of posts by folks who claimed they put like a cap full or two of Sea Foam in the oil a few miles before they were going to change it anyway. I don't really know whether that meant they put the stuff in and rode for a few minutes and then changed the oil or that they put it in a day or two before they were going to change the oil.

I think for automotive applications the can recommends feeding about a third of the can directly to the carbs via a vacuum hose, then a third of the can into the crankcase before an oil change (remember we're talking an automotive crankcase with 4-6 quarts of oil, not a tiny bike crankcase) and then the final third of the can into the tank.

As for the vacuum hose method I don't think I'd do that on a bike unless the carbs were so hosed I was going to have to rebuild them if it didn't work anyway. Ditto with the crankcase I don't think I'd go there unless I was having problems I suspected were due to oil varnish build up.

Also, I've seen several posts by people who have used the Sea Foam a full can to a tank of fuel in an older car and it has loosened so much crud in their tanks that they had to replace the fuel filter soon afterward. That would be something to consider before putting it into the tank of an older bike, too, I suppose.

John
09-15-2013, 04:15 PM,
well guess would be similar to something i did on cars years ago to help clean it out, forget the product but add to the full level oil, run it for about 25 miles, then drain, never heard doing it to bike, did read few guys on bike been sittin long times, put it in, attempted crank so would get into all the lines and jets good, let sit 2 days then baby was good.

09-15-2013, 06:59 PM,
i put a cap full of castor oil in every 5th tank
LoLrcycle rider Cool