Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
09-27-2013, 09:42 AM,
Popping sound Backfire?
2012 250. When I roll off the throttle there is a popping noise from the exhaust. Sounds like a small backfire noise. Bike only has 200 miles on it now, just got it in June. Nothing has been changed on the bike, all stock. The popping just started in the last 40 miles. What should I check first? Huh

09-27-2013, 09:50 AM,
RE: Popping sound Backfire?
(09-27-2013, 09:42 AM)colonel Wrote: 2012 250. When I roll off the throttle there is a popping noise from the exhaust. Sounds like a small backfire noise. Bike only has 200 miles on it now, just got it in June. Nothing has been changed on the bike, all stock. The popping just started in the last 40 miles. What should I check first? Huh
Is the bike "new" from a dealer?
If so they should fix it for free.
Bike : 2009 V Star 250
You can put a bowling ball in an oven, but that don't make it a biscuit.
09-27-2013, 10:10 AM,
Popping sound Backfire?
(09-27-2013, 09:42 AM)colonel Wrote: 2012 250. When I roll off the throttle there is a popping noise from the exhaust. Sounds like a small backfire noise. Bike only has 200 miles on it now, just got it in June. Nothing has been changed on the bike, all stock. The popping just started in the last 40 miles. What should I check first? Huh

Popping is common on deceleration. It's your AIS system injecting air into the pipes to burn off excess fuel fumes. I recently removed mine from my 650 and it has eliminated the popping.
2007 v star 650 Classic, raven with ghost flames
09-27-2013, 10:43 AM,
rsmed1 is right, it is the burning of excess fuel, don't worry it is not harmful as long as it is not really excessive or big bike shaking bangs, pops are fine. But as you say you bike is brand new, so removing the AIS will void your warrenty. The dealer may be able to tune it out, to some extend, when you get your first service. Bikes come from the factory tuned a little lean to meet emmision control requirment around the world, this can cause the exhaust pipe to be a little hot and ignight the fuel. Additionally they are tuned to take average fuel at average tempertures at average barometric pressure, so the fact that the popping occurs means you and your bike are above average. If it was me I would let the dealer attempt to tune it out, if he can. but once you are out of warrenty rip that AIS right out, they are a pain and are only there as part of emmission contol.
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
09-27-2013, 11:04 AM,
I bought the bike from a dealer and it was a left over previous year model. The popping is minor and not that noticeable but I never had a bike do that before, afraid of overheating the pipes. The newest bike before this was a '87 Rebel so all the pollution and safety features are all new to me. (still killing the engine with kickstand). As soon as the warranty is over the AIS will come off. Thanks!

09-27-2013, 11:24 AM,
(09-27-2013, 11:04 AM)colonel Wrote: I bought the bike from a dealer and it was a left over previous year model. The popping is minor and not that noticeable but I never had a bike do that before, afraid of overheating the pipes. The newest bike before this was a '87 Rebel so all the pollution and safety features are all new to me. (still killing the engine with kickstand). As soon as the warranty is over the AIS will come off. Thanks!
when i saw the exhaust will over heat it should be bad enought to 'blue' the pipes, as I say mention it at the first service he might just richen the mixure abit with could cool the pipes and reduce it
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
09-27-2013, 12:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2013, 12:19 PM by commonground.)
(09-27-2013, 11:04 AM)colonel Wrote: I bought the bike from a dealer and it was a left over previous year model. The popping is minor and not that noticeable but I never had a bike do that before, afraid of overheating the pipes. The newest bike before this was a '87 Rebel so all the pollution and safety features are all new to me. (still killing the engine with kickstand). As soon as the warranty is over the AIS will come off. Thanks!
I don't think that I would worry about a little popping. It's not going to damage the pipes unless all of your riding is downhill using the engine as a brake. That would be just the opposite of when I was a kid and used to walk 5 miles barefoot to school and then back home and it was all uphill both ways. Rolleyes The kickstand switch is for old farts that can't remember to use the 'kill' switch. Ha Ha
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
09-27-2013, 12:26 PM,
(09-27-2013, 12:17 PM)commonground Wrote:
I don't think that I would worry about a little popping. It's not going to damage the pipes unless all of your riding is downhill using the engine as a brake. That would be just the opposite of when I was a kid and used to walk 5 miles barefoot to school and then back home and it was all uphill both ways. Rolleyes The kickstand switch is for old farts that can't remember to use the 'kill' switch. Ha Ha
Kill switch...kill switch....I would never kill my bike I love it too much.

The kick stand switch must me a newer model feature my '09 does not have it....or it has been altered.
09-27-2013, 01:10 PM,
Can I richen this a little? How could I do that? I will probably do all my own service on this as the dealer is in another county and the highway to that dealer is scary when in my cage.
Not even going to attempt it on a bike. Too many 18 wheelers on that stretch.

09-27-2013, 01:16 PM,
(09-27-2013, 01:10 PM)colonel Wrote: Can I richen this a little? How could I do that? I will probably do all my own service on this as the dealer is in another county and the highway to that dealer is scary when in my cage.
Not even going to attempt it on a bike. Too many 18 wheelers on that stretch.
If you are comfortable with carbs you can put in a larger dia. pilot jet which will make the fuel/air mixture richer.
You could also, I believe, run the bike with just a little "choke" on.
The 'choke' is actually a fuel en-richer not an air restriction, so when you 'choke' it it is actually mixing more fuel into the carb.
At least that's the way I understand it.
09-27-2013, 04:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2013, 04:41 PM by OldePhart.)
@colonel - 200 miles...are you about to go to reserve, maybe? That can make the bike run a little leaner which means it pops more easily. I now know the symptoms of when my 650 is going to reserve, it pops on deceleration and won't idle, but runs at mid throttle. The latter seemed a little weird to me but that's what she does.

John

(09-27-2013, 12:17 PM)commonground Wrote: I don't think that I would worry about a little popping. It's not going to damage the pipes unless all of your riding is downhill using the engine as a brake. That would be just the opposite of when I was a kid and used to walk 5 miles barefoot to school and then back home and it was all uphill both ways. Rolleyes The kickstand switch is for old farts that can't remember to use the 'kill' switch. Ha Ha

Oh yeah...well my walk to school was uphill both ways and the snow was up to our chests! And...barefoot...we wished we had feet to be bare! That's right...we had no feet. We had to walk 5 miles to school and back, uphill both ways, with snow up to our chests, and we had to walk on our knees...and walking on our knees made the snow up to our chins!

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
08-20-2016, 11:45 PM,

I am new to the forum and just bought a new leftover 2012 250 a few days ago. I read that the popping is normal and is caused by an air pump that
provides oxygen to the exhaust to burn off leftover fuel in the exhaust. This is for pollution control. It was said that removing the pump will alleviate the issue, but void the warranty. Whether this is fact or not, I'm not sure. Mine has 60 miles and makes the same popping, so it seems logical. Doug
Cool