Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10-29-2013, 09:29 PM,
Blue header pipe
Just looking for some advice. I screwed up and started up the wife's 650 to give it a bit of a run, and the phone rang and I got caught up for 10 minutes and she was sitting there idling in the shed. Unfortunately the choke was on and when I got back to it the front header pipe was literally glowing red hot. When it cooled down, the header is now "blued up" for want of a better word.
I have used a bit of Autosol, and it is working, but so far it has taken 2 hours to clean 2 inches of pipe. I don't want to damage the chrome as the bike only has 5000k on it and the chrome is pretty much as new, so I'm reluctant to go the steel wool method.

The poor thing also got hot enough to melt the battery cover near the pipe too. Ebay has taken care of that.

Anyone had a similar issue and any tips for cleaning this up?
10-30-2013, 12:01 AM,
RE: Blue header pipe
Blue-Job
'07 Double One Hundred Custom Black Cherry w/Ghost flames
Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes
Barons ORK
Disabled AIS
Cobra Carb Needles
Every cage is trying to kill you so always remember, Grip it and Rip it!!!

10-30-2013, 09:55 AM,
Have you ever told her yet, lol, you're in trouble, na,nah.na.na. yeah bue job is supposed work good

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
10-30-2013, 07:25 PM,
(10-30-2013, 09:55 AM)jmck Wrote: Have you ever told her yet, lol, you're in trouble, na,nah.na.na. yeah bue job is supposed work good

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk
Yes mate, fessed up. Won't say she was happy, but knows I'll fix it. Been unwell and can't ride for a while so looking at them and cleaning them is the best I can do!
10-30-2013, 08:12 PM,
good thing is I havn't seen Blue job on sale here in Oz so to make the shipping worth while you'll have to buy something else too.
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
10-30-2013, 11:26 PM,
Thanks mate. Didn't think of that. The new battery cover is on the way from the US too, could have got some thrown in the box.
Still can't see why I can land a new part from a dealer in the US for less than half the retail here in Oz, even with the recently reduced exchange rate.

Guess I'll just have to put myself through the ordeal of picking some more bolt on goodies to make the freight worthwhile. Purely in the interests of economy of course...
10-31-2013, 05:21 AM,
I tried using a polishing compound thats for chrome (not to damage) and a buffing wheel on a drill with good/high rpm. Worked great and good as new. good luck to you.
"Cruising a 2007 six5zero V'Star Classic in the city of Lost Angels"
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust Turned Blue -- Running Lean? rexfatuus21 1 809 04-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Last Post: pauli466