Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11-18-2013, 09:00 PM,
Can anyone suggest an air intake?
Hi all! I was hoping to hear some opinions on aftermarket air intakes. I've been doing a lot of research (Looking at the Cobra Powrflo) but would really value some of your comments. Looking specifically for the 950 but any testimonial would be awesome. Gonna be bored over winter so any other cool little project ideas would be valued!

Thanks!!!
11-19-2013, 11:14 PM,
RE: Can anyone suggest an air intake?
If you open up the intake, you'll certainly need to open up the exhaust. I have a 650, so no experience with the 950. However, I really like the Hypercharger with HK exhaust combo on my bike.
11-20-2013, 07:01 AM,
@Stricklandj87, I have an 1100 with a Kuryakyn hypercharger and a cobra exhaust. I personally love my set up. She has that nice deep rumble without being too loud, and I really like the look of the hypercharger, like having a blower on a hot-rod. The horsepower benefits are debatable, but from what I've read running it on a dyno doesn't do it justice since there would need to be air flowing over it at speed.

Regardless of what intake you choose, I agree with @jhennly, you're going to have to open up the exhaust.
'07 1100 Custom; Cobra Pipes, Kuryakyn Hypercharger
11-20-2013, 07:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-20-2013, 07:52 AM by bevo1981.)
i don't know of any other air intake that has as much exposure than the LA Choppers XXX intake. i can't imagine another unit feeding more air into your engine. so i got one for my 950.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAWva7dGAMV5MtHa3IPn8...JWfVIC4yRA]

if you get a new air intake, it is advised that you get a fuel management system as well because your bike will be running even more lean than before. and the 950 already comes with a lean fuel/air mixture from the factory. you do NOT have to modify or replace your exhaust, but that would certainly help as well.
Ride to work. Work to ride.
i make motorcycle videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/whitedevil2/videos
11-21-2013, 11:12 AM,
@bevo1981 is right, you do not HAVE to upgrade your exhaust, but not doing so with the upgrade to the intake is almost pointless because all you're doing is tuning out the mod you just added by adding a fuel management system. To simplify the concept: take a funel and make the top bigger while keeping the bottom narrow. Would that increase the flow rate?
'07 1100 Custom; Cobra Pipes, Kuryakyn Hypercharger
11-21-2013, 12:56 PM,
I like the funnel analogy. I believe that putting a slip-on muffler on the 950 would be almost unnoticed by the fuel/air system, or at least compensated for, since the sensor in the exhaust is forward of the "Y" where the slip-on would be installed. Somewhere I read that was the reason Yamaha placed it there and it was a selling point. It even mentioned slip-ons.
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
05-07-2016, 04:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-07-2016, 04:16 PM by Ohiwish.)
Nice posts guys, replacing AF soon and now curious.....when we speak of a 'management system' is this an additional accessory or is it a reflash of the existing computer?

(11-20-2013, 07:51 AM)bevo1981 Wrote: i don't know of any other air intake that has as much exposure than the LA Choppers XXX intake. i can't imagine another unit feeding more air into your engine. so i got one for my 950.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAWva7dGAMV5MtHa3IPn8...JWfVIC4yRA]

if you get a new air intake, it is advised that you get a fuel management system as well because your bike will be running even more lean than before. and the 950 already comes with a lean fuel/air mixture from the factory. you do NOT have to modify or replace your exhaust, but that would certainly help as well.
So what the verdict on the Air Filter? Out of the way? Louder? Any differences id performance? Did you get the'management system'? What was that about?

gracias
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you recommend for Air intake Huntfam 0 71 04-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Huntfam
  noisy air cleaner ( intake) pauli466 0 230 08-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Last Post: pauli466
  Intake cack slowdad 5 995 06-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Mr RCOM