Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11-24-2013, 02:14 PM,
Bobber fenders in QLD?
Hi guys,
I was looking to turn my 650 classic into a bobber but after looking at the tmr website at standards for motorcycles and modifications I have noticed how hard it will be to find bobber fenders that meet the requirements but still look good. Originally I had planned to get both front and rear fenders from Blue Collar Bobbers, the front fender seems like it would meet the requirements but the rear fender is too short. Anyone know where I can get an aftermarket rear fender that would meet the requirements or am I going to have to cut up the original. Also the fact that I need to get the bike certified by an engineer after I fit a solo spring seat is annoying. buggers. :) Also if anyone has a bobber or knows someone with one I would love to see some pictures of legal bobbers in qld.
Thanks,
Luke
11-24-2013, 05:22 PM,
Bobber fenders in QLD?
Hi there
I'm not familiar with the QLF mod requirements but based on your comments it might've a better idea to just build it your self so u can easily build it to the length requirements
That's what I did with my bobber project ...here is the link you might get some ideas.
http://www.vstarforum.com/showthread.php...0#pid10020
11-24-2013, 06:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2013, 11:14 PM by Gibbo.)
RE: Bobber fenders in QLD?
@luke2269 welcome to the Crew mate, get hold of @jmck he lives in a cave with a huge garage under it on the Coast, he may know of someone who can help you. Personally, I'd follow @Maustarman lead and build your own. As you are going to turn it into a Bobber why not make it from fibreglass/Kevlar (you can get these ingredients from your friendly neighbourhood fibreglass shop), also I would be looking at some of the HD's, some of those jiggers have a very short rear mudguard you may be able to adapt. Another thought is to trawl the bike wreckers down in Slacks Creek, there are quite a lot of them in Moss Street.

Gibbo
11-25-2013, 07:46 PM,
@Maustarman love the bike mate. Theme is awesome and pulled off well. Was it hard getting a compliance plate for the solo spring seat?

@Gibbo Might head down to slacks creek when i have a few days off and have a look. I have never worked with fibreglass before so that might be something worth looking into.

I have linked the QLD requirements and the fender image is on page 8. Front fender isn't so bad it's just that rear fender I wish didnt have to be so long.
11-25-2013, 11:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2013, 11:21 PM by Gibbo.)
(11-25-2013, 07:46 PM)luke2269 Wrote: @Maustarman love the bike mate. Theme is awesome and pulled off well. Was it hard getting a compliance plate for the solo spring seat?

@Gibbo Might head down to slacks creek when i have a few days off and have a look. I have never worked with fibreglass before so that might be something worth looking into.

I have linked the QLD requirements and the fender image is on page 8. Front fender isn't so bad it's just that rear fender I wish didnt have to be so long.
@luke2269 just found this site in Australia might worth a look.

http://www.destino.com.au/xvs650-kit/

Gibbo

@jmck and @luke2269 some more on this site, http://www.destino.com.au/xvs1100-bobber-parts/ @jmck you might want to have a crack at doing this to your 1100 mate!

Gibbo
11-26-2013, 12:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2013, 12:01 AM by OldePhart.)
(11-25-2013, 07:46 PM)luke2269 Wrote: ...love the bike mate. Theme is awesome and pulled off well. Was it hard getting a compliance plate for the solo spring seat?

This here's 'merica, son, we don't need no stinking compliance plate!

Seriously, jurisdictions vary but most places on this side of the pond are pretty laid back about modifications. Some major metropolitan areas are tightening up on modifications to pollution controls but in most places if it's not obviously unsafe and you don't draw too many noise complaints you're fine (assuming you start with a frame with a VIN, of course).

I guess it's more a case of them having to prove that it's not suitable than you having to prove that it is...

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
11-26-2013, 12:49 PM,
heard of some for a bobber going to tractor supply and getting a trailer fender to work with for the back fender. i second @OldePhart most inspection places no issue at all, or you will quickly find the ones that are a pain, I know that I did. bike, oh check the horn, lights, signals, start it up and myself drive to a point for a hard brake, then slap on the sticker.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

11-27-2013, 02:32 AM,
Bobber fenders in QLD?
@luke2269
Thanks mate,
No, here is USA people modify their cars and motorcycles in an insane amount of ways and you never have to take them in to get checked.
There some rules about things but for the most part people just ignore them ie: side mounted license plates.
Also as @keith mentioned a flat trailer fender will do and you can cut it to the required length do you don't get in trouble
(That's what I used for the *Dead Man's Hand*)
11-27-2013, 02:43 AM,
@luke2269 I havn't the time at the moment to search it out, but there will be ways around this, the regulations are full of contridictions, for instance fedral laws may be different, or import standards different again. think how many sports bikes do you see with fender eliminators fitted, they rarely get hassled, I have seem M109s here on the coast with shorter skirts than schoolies. Where abouts are you in the sunshine state? talk to a local custom shop they are sure to point you in the right direction.
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
11-27-2013, 06:48 PM,
@luke2269 also have a look at this bloke: http://www.localdirectories.com.au/North...ofile/v6F0 I've seen his work and it is unreal he is down near Kyogle.

Gibbo
11-29-2013, 06:22 AM,
@Gibbo I was originally looking at getting rear fender from destino/blue collar bobber but they are too short unfortunately.
@jmck I live in cold old Toowoomba. I might go check out a few trailer places and see what fenders i can find. We have a bke wreckers up here too which i might go check out.
11-29-2013, 06:40 AM,
@luke2269 copy that. I think looking at trailer places could be good, they just may have some rejects from jobs which may suit your needs. Failing that a ride to Slacks Creek from Toowoomba would be a nice day out and about its bike wreckers heaven down there in Moss street. Although the challenge of making one in glass would be interesting as well.

Gibbo
11-29-2013, 01:15 PM,
(11-29-2013, 06:40 AM)Gibbo Wrote: @luke2269 copy that. I think looking at trailer places could be good, they just may have some rejects from jobs which may suit your needs. Failing that a ride to Slacks Creek from Toowoomba would be a nice day out and about its bike wreckers heaven down there in Moss street. Although the challenge of making one in glass would be interesting as well.

Gibbo
Build it the old HD way.
Put a hidden hinge at you preferred length, then add an extension.
Have the extension on for inspections then pull the pin and take off the extra.
No problem mate.
Work yes, legal well Huh
[Image: 3-spike-2_zps52a82b02.jpg] My V-STAR 1300 is my 22 Motor Cycle
Been riding over 50 years
The motor on the 1300 is twice as big as any bike I've owned before.
11-30-2013, 11:51 PM,
I have a flat top fender available. I don't have the mounts, just the steel fender. I'm across the pond, so shipping will be a tad more than is shown. The dimensions for the fender are at the bottom of the listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vstar-Bobber-Rea...t_82wt_880
12-01-2013, 05:08 AM,
Bobber fenders in QLD?
@luke2269 I'm in Brisbane and put on the Blue Collar Bobber rear fender and spring seat 2 years ago and never had a problem. The transport cops come into my work from time to time and they've never said anything about the seat or fender... They've had a go at the pipes but never the fender.
[Image: UjcOdfR.gif]