Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11-25-2013, 03:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2013, 01:24 PM by Maustarman.)
The Monster's Winter Mods
Ok.. I've been thinking...(yea, once in a while I do :)
Anyways.. I'll be doing quite a bit of modifications to my 1100 "The Monster" in the next couple of months so, I decided to start its own thread to keeps track of those changes.
Here is the list:
*Batwing fairing with audio and two inboard cameras (front and rear)
*Harley saddlebags with quick release brackets
*Tank extension
*New paint job to bring everything together.
*still deciding if maybe a Bagger rear fender and dual pipes (but that way more $$ and I don't have that)

Here is the picture of what it looks like right now.
[Image: havena8u.jpg]
[Image: u6y7u6us.jpg]
11-25-2013, 10:15 AM,
RE: The Monster's Winter Mods
ok bud, do not see a pic of the current state of things, or am i just not looking in the right spot again?
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

11-25-2013, 12:25 PM,
@keith sorry sr I wrote the post late at night so I guess I dreamed I posted the pics...lol...it's updated now
-------------------
Also I already got the fairing
[Image: 3eze8aqu.jpg]
[Image: ura3y8uv.jpg]

Will have to figure out how to adapt it for the 1100 so, I'll write up the steps and pics in what I come out with.
11-25-2013, 12:52 PM,
oh yes, pics n steps on fab to mount that, also which hd was it for would be extremely helpful.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

11-25-2013, 01:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2013, 01:26 PM by Maustarman.)
The fairing is actually made to fit the star 1300 & 1600 so the mods I'm expecting will not be major things.

I actually like the current paint job very much ie: the skulls inside the flames, color combination etc..so, what I'll do is sand it down to do the tank and fender mods and re-do it the same paint job and do the fairing and bags as well...
11-25-2013, 01:50 PM,
Looking forward to seeing the changes as you progress. That's a great looking bike to start with. That ugly white s*** stuff started falling here this AM.
Shy Bert
11-25-2013, 03:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2013, 03:58 PM by here to learn 1300.)
(11-25-2013, 01:20 PM)Maustarman Wrote: The fairing is actually made to fit the star 1300 & 1600 so the mods I'm expecting will not be major things.

I actually like the current paint job very much ie: the skulls inside the flames, color combination etc..so, what I'll do is sand it down to do the tank and fender mods and re-do it the same paint job and do the fairing and bags as well...
A shame you couldn't sell your painted parts and trade the new owner for his parts as part of deal.
Would give you some cash and a new canvas to paint.
May not be worth the trouble but just bouncing ideas.
[Image: 3-spike-2_zps52a82b02.jpg] My V-STAR 1300 is my 22 Motor Cycle
Been riding over 50 years
The motor on the 1300 is twice as big as any bike I've owned before.
11-25-2013, 03:59 PM,
That's and idea!
I like that :)
Any one in here like to do that?
11-25-2013, 04:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2013, 06:36 PM by here to learn 1300.)
(11-25-2013, 03:56 PM)here to learn 1300 Wrote:
(11-25-2013, 01:20 PM)Maustarman Wrote: The fairing is actually made to fit the star 1300 & 1600 so the mods I'm expecting will not be major things.

A shame you couldn't sell your painted parts and trade the new owner for his parts as part of deal.
Would give you some cash and a new canvas to paint.
May not be worth the trouble but just bouncing ideas.
I may be going off the deep end but I'd love to see a 1300 gas tank extended [on your bike] with the speedo built into the wing.
I love the clean looks of the 1300 tank and the speedo would be way different I would think.
Just my mind going wild, such fun, Sorry
[Image: 3-spike-2_zps52a82b02.jpg] My V-STAR 1300 is my 22 Motor Cycle
Been riding over 50 years
The motor on the 1300 is twice as big as any bike I've owned before.
11-25-2013, 05:31 PM,
bet you could get a deal on ebay, a fair amount o $ and their original metal.

11-27-2013, 03:12 AM,
Thanks guys... All good ideas!
Today I got to spent a couple of hours figuring out how to mount the batwing.
The unit I got came with to small brackets but I have no idea what or where they were supposed to go.
Anyways, the first thing I found out was that it would not work with the Silverado windshield brackets I had in my bike... So, vstar classic brackets were in order...
The best part is that I happen to have those in my garage from the basket of goodies I picked up a couple of months back.
Here the Silverado top bracket
[Image: yryty2y3.jpg]
Replaced with the vstar classic brackets
[Image: 8aza6yra.jpg]
My handle bars back in place ( this are the T-bars/ super chubby drag bars from LA choppers---- really thick bars = 1 3/4"
[Image: 4azarune.jpg]
Next I made two brackets that will hold the fairing in place
Pic pending

The fairing is about 2"& 1/4" wider that the windshield brackets so I was trying to figure out what to use for spacer and I saw a socket laying around and used it to measure the distance and dammed if it was exactly 1 1/8" so I remembered I had somewhere a set of sockets of those you get at the dollar store and I used 4 of those for spacers they are perfect ! And shiny chrome :)
[Image: unase9e9.jpg]
Aligned everything and fits like a glove !!
I can take the whole faring down in 3 minutes or less :)
[Image: eteje8ub.jpg][Image: 2a3yhuda.jpg]
Also today got the Stereo and the 2 on-board cams!
[Image: yteduquz.jpg]
[Image: erybyne7.jpg]
11-27-2013, 02:20 PM,
Great write up and pics. I'm learning as you go and can refresh my memory any time here on the forum. Life is great. Thanks.
Shy Bert
12-05-2013, 05:01 PM,
Today the mail lady brought me 4 packages with goodies !
[Image: ahery7yq.jpg]

One thing to remember here is that I'm a deal hunter and I'm in a very specific budget so might have to wait a little linger to get what I need for the right price!
12-05-2013, 05:08 PM,
sweet, oh what happened on the fairing, thought originally you were going to get a hd fairing.

12-10-2013, 12:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013, 01:05 AM by Maustarman.)
@keith ...
I did lots of research and what drove the decision into the 1300 batwing was the finances and the amount of work...with this fairing I had choices like 6x9 speakers or just 6.5 speakers, 2 or four speakers etc..
Now the HD options were more limited and by the time you buy the outer and the inner plus brackets for that and brackets to to adapt it to the vstar ... Just didn't make any sense.

Ok,Got a giant package in the mail today!
It was the HD saddlebags
[Image: zasu6yme.jpg]
Now, if you are going to mount HD bags to a Vstar is quite a lot of work mods etc..
I had the idea if just using the quick release brackets.....Amazing!
Best part if it is that you can Lick the brackets or unlock and take the bags off in 30secs or less......so, you can have bags or no bags in terms of a minute total !
[Image: y9usyzyj.jpg]
Here is what the bags look now in the bike..
[Image: ydu8y3uq.jpg]
They come already painted vivid black and clear coated ready to roll....later I'll just do the airbrushing and clear coat again.
[Image: y7e3a7a5.jpg][Image: 5ahadevy.jpg]
Now, to focus in the fairing..
Need to take it down and Paint with the vivid black and clear coat it ..after I come back from 6 weeks in Costa Rica (Vacation Baby!!!) I'll do all the airbrushing and tank extension along with all the paint job.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fun Winter Projects dkerwood01 19 4,090 01-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Last Post: pablotech1
  No power after mods...HELP!!!!!!! tpmpro687 8 3,405 08-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Last Post: jmck
  1100 Classic Bolt on mods... Magnuts 10 6,232 04-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Magnuts