Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
12-04-2013, 04:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013, 05:07 AM by Maustarman.)
Vstar 650 Bobber Built-- *Purple Death Dragon*
Ok.. As everyone here knows a couple of weeks ago I got a 2002 Vstar 650 classic that had been stored under a tart for the last 3 or 4 years.. Gas had gone bad etc etc..
Rust was starting to do its work and in general the bike was in bad shape..
Since I had lots of fun with my last project *Dead Man's Hand*
I decided to come out with something a little different in looks but still bobber style..and this is the official thread for the project.
Pics of when I got it..
[Image: y8usyze9.jpg]
[Image: aqamujun.jpg]
[Image: 3e8u6uru.jpg]
[Image: a3apynuq.jpg]

The first thing I did was get the bad gas out.. Clean up the tank and open the carbs ... "Not good :( .. The gas had become more of a goo/gel and wasn't liquid anymore.
[Image: vy4azyby.jpg]
The cleaning process was tedious but seems it's looking good now
Next thing was to fire it up..
It did fire up but it ran really rough ..
Tested the compression and it was good in the front cylinder but BAD in the rear one.. Almost 50% difference.
Sad and down about it I decided to run a leak down test to see what I was looking at..
Interesting enough the it started with a 60% leak in the rear but all of sudden it had a "pop and no leakage!
So, it had an stocked intake valve..
Just yesterday I filled up the tank with sea-foam and went for a 60mile ride ( came back and ran the leakage test and not leakage [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]. tested compression and both cylinders are at 145 [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Next I decided I didn't want the stock tank... And as many of you who have tried to modify this item in ur vstar would know, this is a not an easy task..
The double back bone makes the options very limited.
After trying about 5 or 6 different HD tanks I decided to go with and aftermarket 1988 Sportster peanut tank. I needed a bunch if modifications but the it has pretty much the same shape as the double bones in the frame.
[Image: dy6y5e2u.jpg]
Next thing was to cut the petcock bung so it doesn't touches the one of the back bones.
[Image: unyhy4u5.jpg]
[Image: a9any3yb.jpg]

Yesterday I got to work in what is going to be the seat
[Image: gymeqene.jpg]
Drilling the holes in the pan
[Image: ysy3u7a5.jpg]
Let's grind the heads of the bolts to have and almost flush surface
[Image: a6e8aryh.jpg]
Got the bolts in .. Not to spot weld the bottom of the pan.
[Image: y9u5a8ud.jpg]

My idea is to have the front bolt of the seat also holding down the rear tank bracket.
[Image: gu6erady.jpg]
Here is what it looks like mounted
[Image: u2avyzuv.jpg]
[Image: esyna9y5.jpg]

Next thing:
Getting a bobbed rear fender.. In my last project I used a flat fender .. In this one I decided yo used the dented front fender...
[Image: y8emy2ur.jpg]
Mark where I wanted to cut and bring the cutting tool
[Image: bybavane.jpg]
[Image: ysygy6et.jpg]
Mucked it up
[Image: puby8e7y.jpg]

Attached to the swing-arm using 2 U-bolts
[Image: y7ytuvum.jpg]
And this is what I have so far
[Image: dy6u2a4u.jpg]

Today I took the AIS system off
http://youtu.be/m1z-LBWVmdQ
12-04-2013, 06:12 AM,
RE: Vstar 650 Bobber Built-- *Purple Death Dragon*
Hey Maustarman, I got a quick question for you buddy. How hard is it to remove or in my case re -install the carbs on a 650? I got a guy whos selling one but its all taken apart he saids. Don't know if i want to deal with any problems with carbs and missing parts if any etc. but i'm also looking at a 1100 too but with hi-mileage. anyway thanks!
"Cruising a 2007 six5zero V'Star Classic in the city of Lost Angels"
12-04-2013, 01:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013, 01:09 PM by Maustarman.)
@rudyjoe
Carbs are fairly easy to install ...I agree with you that I wouldn't want to deal with carbs with missing parts etc... Oh boy they have lots of really small pieces and if one of them is missing or wrongly placed... those carbs will give hell.
Also, based based in my latest experiences buying a bike that can't be started because of missing carbs, missing battery etc is a big risk that unless you are paying close to nothing isn't worth the risk.
This one I'm working on came like that but I only paid 400 so I could get that by selling the parts if necessary
12-04-2013, 04:18 PM,
I think @Maustarman has the right of it - if it ain't running don't pay any more than you would if you were looking at buying something that somebody was parting out.

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
12-04-2013, 05:11 PM,
(12-04-2013, 01:04 PM)Maustarman Wrote: @rudyjoe
Carbs are fairly easy to install ...I agree with you that I wouldn't want to deal with carbs with missing parts etc... Oh boy they have lots of really small pieces and if one of them is missing or wrongly placed... those carbs will give hell.
Also, based based in my latest experiences buying a bike that can't be started because of missing carbs, missing battery etc is a big risk that unless you are paying close to nothing isn't worth the risk.
This one I'm working on came like that but I only paid 400 so I could get that by selling the parts if necessary

Yeah, this one is for $900 but i really don't want to chance it as you mentioned. I might check out this other one but again, we'll see. thanks!
"Cruising a 2007 six5zero V'Star Classic in the city of Lost Angels"
12-04-2013, 09:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013, 09:20 PM by Maustarman.)
Pipes:
Today I'm dealing with what I want for pipes
Don't want the stocks for sure and in my last project I used the stocks and slash cut them
This time I'm going to use the stock heaters and modify the crap out of them..
The 650s have a cross/connecting tube from the front pipe to the rear one..[Image: e5u2uzyv.jpg]
I cut that so I can use the heater and eliminate the exhaust [Image: y7a9edy3.jpg]
Now: the stock pipes are only 1" diameter almost cartoonish ...even thought hey look big it's all head shields designed to make the pipes look beefy ..
So, what ever I do I have to go from 1" to 2" to make the whole thing look consistent.
I got to pieces of 2" exhaust tubing at the local auto parts $30 and I'll be doing some creative stuff to make it happen
[Image: gegy2uny.jpg]

As much as we love our yamahas there are some engineering parts of it that are just plain stupid ...ie: welding the head shield down instead of making them removable ..
I had to cut the shield here [Image: ezyhypu7.jpg]

All-right
Finished all the welding and this is what they look like.
[Image: uje8e6y7.jpg]
12-05-2013, 02:37 AM,
I like the simplicity of the rear fender, but aren't you worried about movement from the vibrations? or does it feel pretty stout? I recently did the flat fender on mine and reinforced the crap out of it. (guess i'm a lil paranoid) haha.

So far looking good, cant wait to see the final product, keep it up!:)
12-05-2013, 11:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013, 11:23 AM by here to learn 1300.)
Emoticon_grin  RE: Vstar 650 Bobber Built-- *Purple Death Dragon*
Here are some dirt cheap shielded to cover the welds.
You'll probable wrap them but just an idea.
The guy also has a cool looking rear fender for $50 "plastic"
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Exhaust-/35573/m...ld3288gold
[Image: 3-spike-2_zps52a82b02.jpg] My V-STAR 1300 is my 22 Motor Cycle
Been riding over 50 years
The motor on the 1300 is twice as big as any bike I've owned before.
12-05-2013, 12:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013, 12:20 PM by Maustarman.)
@fort9erfan
I put two self taping screws with thread lock bolted into the swing arm from the inside.
I actually can sit on it an doesn't move..
Of course not safe to seat there while driving but I was thinking that I give it more clearance and weld some iron rods underneath I might be doable but at the end this isn't a bike for two anymore
@hear to learn 1300
Thank you .. Im planning to used a wrap but since this an always changing project is good to have those in the list of possibilities
12-05-2013, 04:36 PM,
Heh, heh. I knew the stock pipes were hiding under those heat shields but I never tried to look at the back side so I didn't realize just how wimpy they are. That's pretty comical. All the more reason to get my V&H pipes mounted, I guess.

John
12-05-2013, 04:42 PM,
(12-05-2013, 04:36 PM)OldePhart Wrote: Heh, heh. I knew the stock pipes were hiding under those heat shields but I never tried to look at the back side so I didn't realize just how wimpy they are. That's pretty comical. All the more reason to get my V&H pipes mounted, I guess.

John
I think pretty much all the pipes sold have an outer shell, helps them look bigger, safer from burns and no bluing of the pipes.
[Image: 3-spike-2_zps52a82b02.jpg] My V-STAR 1300 is my 22 Motor Cycle
Been riding over 50 years
The motor on the 1300 is twice as big as any bike I've owned before.
12-05-2013, 04:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013, 04:44 PM by Maustarman.)
(12-05-2013, 04:36 PM)OldePhart Wrote: Heh, heh. I knew the stock pipes were hiding under those heat shields but I never tried to look at the back side so I didn't realize just how wimpy they are. That's pretty comical. All the more reason to get my V&H pipes mounted, I guess.

John

Absolutely...
The vstar pipes are only 1" in diameter ;) one inch ?? I was laughing when I saw that !
I guess is expected..... When you look in the left side behind the engine the cover for the drive shaft it even has a couple of dummy bolts to make it look like some sort of big transmission or something.. I'm not surprised they cover the wimpy pipes with big shields ;)
12-05-2013, 05:26 PM,
My 2005 Kia Sportage had this big silver plastic molded piece over the top of the 4-cyclinder engine - it was molded to look like the intake for a modern fuel-injected V-6. I took it off once just to see what it was hiding - basically some very rough castings and exterior tubing and such for the motor. Don't get me wrong, it ran fine and was one of the most reliable, low-maintenance vehicles I've owned, but it sure was cheezy looking. I guess I should lift the hood on the 2014 Forte one of these days and see if they're still doing that...

John
12-05-2013, 05:50 PM,
Go ahead, buy it. You can find out what's inside afterwards. Sound familiar? Smile
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
12-05-2013, 07:34 PM,
(12-05-2013, 05:50 PM)commonground Wrote: Go ahead, buy it. You can find out what's inside afterwards. Sound familiar? Smile

Yeah...seems like I've heard something like that somewhere before...

I've had the Forte since early September, I guess one of these days I really should get around to lifting the hood...kind of a contrast from the bike where I had the rear fender off in the first 200 miles, huh? LOL

John
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Award_star_gold_1 Blue Collar Bobber kit for sale... carlzapata 0 493 05-08-2017, 02:24 PM
Last Post: carlzapata
  engine removal Re:bobber project masterhermit 6 2,083 10-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Last Post: pauli466
  Vstar Bobber 2.0 Maustarman 6 2,507 08-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Last Post: OldePhart
  Vstar 650-project built- Dead Man's Hand team ;) Maustarman 125 37,434 07-04-2014, 12:00 AM
Last Post: rabenoja
  BOBBER HELP WANTED PAbobber 64 21,950 08-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Last Post: fort9erfan