Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
03-26-2014, 01:57 AM,
Any MD/DC/VA locals? Need help
I've given up trying to install this tachometer. Before this goes to the pros, I'd much rather give my money to a local who can hook it up just the same.
03-26-2014, 03:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2014, 04:17 AM by Mr RCOM.)
RE: Any MD/DC/VA locals? Need help
Whats wrong?

You need a Dual Fire tach.

And to quote the wiki....

For tach wiring, you would use one of the coil mounting bolts for the tach ground, use the red/black striped wire (either coil) for the power for lights on tach, and then the orange wire (right/battery side) or gray (left/kickstand side) for the measuring/feed wire.
LoLrcycle rider Cool
03-26-2014, 09:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2014, 09:06 PM by Cambo.)
(03-26-2014, 03:38 AM)Mr RCOM Wrote: Whats wrong?

You need a Dual Fire tach.

And to quote the wiki....

For tach wiring, you would use one of the coil mounting bolts for the tach ground, use the red/black striped wire (either coil) for the power for lights on tach, and then the orange wire (right/battery side) or gray (left/kickstand side) for the measuring/feed wire.

haha, it's the wiring that's screwing me up....maybe I'm using crappy taps. But I'm tapping into the wires I think I'm supposed to...but no chicken dinner when I fire her up

The bikers choice comes with 4 wires as follows:

Green to negative coil

Red to ignition on

Blue to lamp on

Black to ground

So I wired her up as follows, and I pulled this into from the various vstar resources...

1st attempt:
Green tapped to orange
Red and blue together, and tapped to blue wire behind lamp
Black grounded to coil bolt

Result: No chicken dinner

2nd attempt:
Green still tapped to orange
Red and blue together, but this time tapped to red and blue wire off ignition
Black still grounded to coil bolt

3rd attempt:
Green still tapped to orange
Red tapped to red and blue wire off ignition
Blue tapped to blue wire behind lamp
Black still grounded to coil bolt

4th attempt:
Threw socket wrench across the street
Made a snowball and pelted 2year old son in face
told wife to make me a sandwich
ended up having to make myself a sandwich and her a sandwich too

So yeah...could be using crappy taps...and I hate to throw in the towel. but I'm not good at this stuff to begin with and I don't want to make any critical mistakes. The bike was already running roughter than usual when I ceased and desisted and put her back together...and in my head, it's because of something I just did...
03-26-2014, 09:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2014, 09:41 PM by Mr RCOM.)
Its not picking up the spark? Or the back light?

I noticed you hooked up the green wire to the orange wire in each attempt. You say the bikers choice says hook the green to the negative coil. Could the grey wire on the kickstand side be the negative coil?
LoLrcycle rider Cool
03-26-2014, 09:55 PM,
(03-26-2014, 09:38 PM)Mr RCOM Wrote: Its not picking up the spark? Or the back light?

I noticed you hooked up the green wire to the orange wire in each attempt. You say the bikers choice says hook the green to the negative coil. Could the grey wire on the kickstand side be the negative coil?

It's not picking up the spark or back light. Now that you mention it...perhaps I should hook it up to the battery to see if it even lights up lol. Darn it...that should've been step 1 before all this mess...

All the documentation I read said I could choose to use either the left or right side (grey vs orange)...but the recommendation was to use the orange wire on the right side coil because the grey side was the coil with the rev limiter in place.

I believe, and I definitely could be mistaken, this is only what I've interpreted from what I've read...but there doesn't seem to be a positve or negative coil per se...but a positve and negative lead off of each coil. In this case, the grey and orange being the negatives. I did see the positive coil wire (the red/black wire) BUT the only reason I didn't tap into that one for power was because that was another recommendation that I read...that it was not good practice to tap into your coil if you could avoid it.
03-26-2014, 10:03 PM,
Ok yeah you should check it stright off the battery then get out your mutimeter and check if the switched power source was/is actually is acctually powered lol
LoLrcycle rider Cool