Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
05-03-2014, 07:55 PM,
DIY Lower Wind deflectors/fairing lowers
Hi there
So, since I put the batwing on my vstar I keep getting some crazy buffeting and after researching this forums, google etc ....
I've decided that some lower deflectors might help.
I spent hours trying to figure out what deflectors to get...
Yamaha ? Harley? Etc etc ..
None of the options out there where looking good to me..
So, I decided to do my own.
First of all I wanted something that would go along with the lines of the fairing.
Secondly not expending big bucks was important.
I picked up some 1/4" bullet proof polycarbonate.
Made a cardboard template
Cut the polycarbonate and now to figure out how to mount them.
Used some U bolts and *bang baby! New lowers
Total invested about $22 :)
[Image: 2y2uqyhe.jpg]
[Image: ze4eza4u.jpg]
[Image: he9yte5u.jpg]
Here they are ready to go
[Image: quda8y5u.jpg]

Maurice
05-03-2014, 08:04 PM,
RE: DIY Lower Wind deflectors/fairing lowers
WOW! Those look great. Did you have to bend the polycarbonate and if so, how did you do it. Doesn't look like you have the Butty Buddy on there.
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
05-03-2014, 10:51 PM,
didn @Snaykbyte do something like this?
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

05-03-2014, 11:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2014, 11:01 PM by OldePhart.)
Nice! Can you show close ups of how you mounted them? I want to do something like this on my 650 before the long trip to Indiana in June...I've already got a couple of pieces of polycarbonate sheeting from Lowes but I've not figured out a good way to mount lowers that won't interfere with the fork travel...

Also, has anybody made "chaps" to go on engine guards? I've seen them and I'm thinking that a set of "half chaps" on the engine guards would keep the wind buffeting off my legs without interfering with the air cooling of the engine. On my trip to Oklahoma last fall one thing I noticed was that if I lifted my feet off the pegs at freeway speeds the wind buffeting wanted to yank them to the back of the bike. I'm sure that's where much of the fatigue was coming from. Now that I have floorboards I'd like something to get the wind buffeting off the legs.

Maybe lowers alone would be enough to get the wind buffeting off the lower legs? Any thoughts on that?

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
05-04-2014, 02:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-04-2014, 02:46 AM by Maustarman.)
@oldephart
John
I Looked at many lowers mounts and none that I really liked.
I wanted to mount these in a way that was almost unnoticeable and I think I accomplished just that :)
I used the U-bolts to mount the polycarbonate attached to the turn signal bar :)
You have no idea how much I've thought about killing the signal bar because I simply hate it, but today I was incredibly glad I had not done anything to it :)
I took the bike out for a 1.5 hour ride this evening ....man what a difference ...didn't feel any buffeting it's almost all gone ;)
I didn't feel much force pushing my legs neither.
And now I can hear my stereo at highway speeds !
If you want I can cut a paper template of the lowers and put it in the mail for you.
Let me know.

Maurice

Also will take pictures tomorrow

Maurice
05-04-2014, 09:46 AM,
Thanks @Maustarman - the template probably wouldn't help because my 650 is a little different than the 1100. I know the signals are mounted differently. I can make a cardboard template...I never thought about mounting to the signal stalks (the Custom has the front signals on stalks instead of a solid bar.

I'll look the bike over some and see what I can come up with for mounting.

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
05-05-2014, 02:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014, 02:28 PM by SnaykByte.)
@Maustarman, how can you even "cut" "bulletproof" poly?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

@OldePhart, see @Giibbo about your chaps question. He's a Man of Leather.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
05-05-2014, 03:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014, 03:11 PM by Maustarman.)
@snaykbyte
That's that the plastic store sold it to me as...
I had the same question.. What they said was that the the material will withstand any impact and not break in a million pieces ...they said that if you shoot at it it would get a impact mark but the bullet wouldn't go through...
At the end of the day I'm not planning to go out asking for bullets to be shot at me to prove them wrong of not :)
What it matter to me is that is a pretty tough and resistant to road rocks and what not ..
05-05-2014, 03:24 PM,
hey ill take a set of those templates....I been searching lowers but dont like the ones I see. yours are perfect!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
05-05-2014, 03:50 PM,
(05-05-2014, 03:24 PM)rleary360 Wrote: hey ill take a set of those templates....I been searching lowers but dont like the ones I see. yours are perfect!

Sure..
Your fairing looks a lot like mine ....so, you might just have a set, mark & cut :)
PM me you address and I'll send it out tomorrow

Maurice
05-05-2014, 09:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014, 09:36 PM by rleary360.)
PM sent....thanks

any trick I should know for the ubolt mountings

05-06-2014, 01:19 AM,
@rleary360
Got the address ...
To whom show I address it ?
With the U-bolts you just have to open the up a bit at the base so they have a tight fit around the turn signal bar.
Also make sure you use two of the little licking plates that come with the bolt ...one on each side of the poly..

Maurice
08-08-2014, 04:06 AM,
omg, I love your lowers. I was going to get some metal ones awhile ago but you had to also buy the winshield and brackets to go along. NOT happening. are you still helping others out with those plans? if so may I get a set from you? I have a 2006 1100.
08-08-2014, 01:18 PM,
Do you have any issues with the lower end flapping in the breeze? Seems to me that without a bend to keep it rigid the lower tip would move around a bit and possible scratch the forks. Just curious
08-08-2014, 01:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2014, 01:25 PM by Maustarman.)
(08-08-2014, 04:06 AM)fabarker Wrote: omg, I love your lowers. I was going to get some metal ones awhile ago but you had to also buy the winshield and brackets to go along. NOT happening. are you still helping others out with those plans? if so may I get a set from you? I have a 2006 1100.
Thanks..
Sure I can send a paper template so you can cut it etc..
Mine have that specific shape because I wanted to go along with the fairing style..but you can cut any shape you like.

(08-08-2014, 01:18 PM)summer Wrote: Do you have any issues with the lower end flapping in the breeze? Seems to me that without a bend to keep it rigid the lower tip would move around a bit and possible scratch the forks. Just curious
I got the 1/4 thick Poly...so there is no flapping because it isn't long enough to have flexibility.
So far I'm extremely happy with it and no, there aren't any scratches anywhere.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fairing kentaw 1 196 04-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Last Post: customvstar650
  Windshield Lowers causing problem TimandSally 1 488 02-20-2017, 03:02 AM
Last Post: jmck
  Cee Bailey wind screens Elk 2 707 03-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Elk
  Installation of Yamaha Lower Deflectors snakestang 13 4,160 02-25-2014, 12:28 AM
Last Post: hydroturf
  Aftermarket fairing Newfoundland Ken 8 6,462 02-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Last Post: rleary360