Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
05-20-2014, 01:15 PM,
XVS650C Check Engine at highway speed
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have an issue with my v star 650.

I've had my '08 V Star for a little over a year and the speedo cable came loose from the wheel last week on the highway. The inner core came out. I've since ordered a new cable. The issue is that the check engine light comes on at highway speeds but not at regular speeds (35 to 50mph). Are there sensors associated with the speedo cable that will trigger the check engine light at high speeds? It seems to be running okay but has a little excessive vibration going on. Thanks in advance for any input.

~LW
05-20-2014, 02:28 PM,
RE: XVS650C Check Engine at highway speed
There shouldn't be any link between the speedo cable and the CE light. On the 650 the CE light really only comes on for the TPS sensor or a related issue in the Igniter (ECU).

For what it's worth, I bought a held over 2011 650 last year and it's been doing that since new. I've had it in the shop a couple of times and I need to take a day off and get it in again before the warranty expires. I know it's an ECU, the dealer knows it's an ECU, Yamaha doesn't want to replace it so they keep having the dealer check the TPS even though they not only checked it but replaced it at one point. :(

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
05-23-2014, 06:51 PM,
(05-20-2014, 02:28 PM)OldePhart Wrote: There shouldn't be any link between the speedo cable and the CE light. On the 650 the CE light really only comes on for the TPS sensor or a related issue in the Igniter (ECU).

For what it's worth, I bought a held over 2011 650 last year and it's been doing that since new. I've had it in the shop a couple of times and I need to take a day off and get it in again before the warranty expires. I know it's an ECU, the dealer knows it's an ECU, Yamaha doesn't want to replace it so they keep having the dealer check the TPS even though they not only checked it but replaced it at one point. :(

John
I finally got the cable installed this afternoon, right before a rain storm blew over. Gonna let the pavement dry then go for a test run. My guess, after discussions with the scooter shop guy, is that the CE light is coming from
a sensor on the transmission. Basically telling me, hey dipshit, yer speedo cable is broke. lol

This is my second bike and the first was an '83 XVS750MK (Midnight Virago). Obviously there's a huge technological advancement between the two. I don't know squat about the 650! Still looking for a Clymer manual too. I've had it for a little over a year. This is the first issue I've had with it other than the lack of power on the highway.

Thanks for the input John.

~ Lee W.
05-23-2014, 07:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-23-2014, 07:04 PM by OldePhart.)
(05-23-2014, 06:51 PM)Lee Dubya Wrote:
(05-20-2014, 02:28 PM)OldePhart Wrote: There shouldn't be any link between the speedo cable and the CE light. On the 650 the CE light really only comes on for the TPS sensor or a related issue in the Igniter (ECU).

I'm taking a "staycation" all next week so hopefully I will be able to get Yamaha to let the shop fix this thing!

John
I finally got the cable installed this afternoon, right before a rain storm blew over. Gonna let the pavement dry then go for a test run. My guess, after discussions with the scooter shop guy, is that the CE light is coming from
a sensor on the transmission. Basically telling me, hey dipshit, yer speedo cable is broke. lol

This is my second bike and the first was an '83 XVS750MK (Midnight Virago). Obviously there's a huge technological advancement between the two. I don't know squat about the 650! Still looking for a Clymer manual too. I've had it for a little over a year. This is the first issue I've had with it other than the lack of power on the highway.

~ Lee W.

It will be very interesting if that's the case. ;) If it is it means there is a pretty huge error in the schematics in the shop manual. These 650's have got a pretty simple ECU (that's what drives the light, according to the schematic). The only inputs are engine location and TPS and the outputs are the drive for the spark plugs and the one to the check engine light. Some of the fancier VStars have much more complex units similar to modern cars where the CE light can mean anything from "your gas cap is loose" to "your $900 catalytic converter is shot." LOL

The 650 doesn't even use the CE light to display trouble codes, like most of the other bikes do. Most of the other bikes when you turn the ignition on the CE light will blink "n" times for one condtion, "m" times for another. There is even at least one place in the 650 shop manual where it claims that as well, but it was apparently a "cut and paste" error from another manual because in other places it explicitly says that the 650 CE light does not display codes.

Keep me posted on what it eventually turns out to be and I will do the same. From the behavior, I'm pretty darn sure that in my case it is a voltage regulator inside the ECU that provides the supply voltage to the TPS that is failing. I say that because it's clearly temperature sensitive (in my case) because when I've been riding a long way the light will come on as soon as I restart the bike instead of waiting until I hit 50 or so.

John
05-23-2014, 07:14 PM,
(05-23-2014, 07:02 PM)OldePhart Wrote:
(05-23-2014, 06:51 PM)Lee Dubya Wrote:

I'm taking a "staycation" all next week so hopefully I will be able to get Yamaha to let the shop fix this thing!

John

~ Lee W.

It will be very interesting if that's the case. ;) If it is it means there is a pretty huge error in the schematics in the shop manual. These 650's have got a pretty simple ECU (that's what drives the light, according to the schematic). The only inputs are engine location and TPS and the outputs are the drive for the spark plugs and the one to the check engine light. Some of the fancier VStars have much more complex units similar to modern cars where the CE light can mean anything from "your gas cap is loose" to "your $900 catalytic converter is shot." LOL

The 650 doesn't even use the CE light to display trouble codes, like most of the other bikes do. Most of the other bikes when you turn the ignition on the CE light will blink "n" times for one condtion, "m" times for another. There is even at least one place in the 650 shop manual where it claims that as well, but it was apparently a "cut and paste" error from another manual because in other places it explicitly says that the 650 CE light does not display codes.

Keep me posted on what it eventually turns out to be and I will do the same. From the behavior, I'm pretty darn sure that in my case it is a voltage regulator inside the ECU that provides the supply voltage to the TPS that is failing. I say that because it's clearly temperature sensitive (in my case) because when I've been riding a long way the light will come on as soon as I restart the bike instead of waiting until I hit 50 or so.

John
Whoa! I was expecting a flashing engine code from the CE light. More knowledge I didn't have 20 minutes ago. So, is there a port for a code reader on the 650? I noticed an oil leak or something earlier today also. yuck! Man, I gotta get a Clymer manual!
05-23-2014, 11:22 PM,
(05-23-2014, 07:14 PM)Lee Dubya Wrote: Whoa! I was expecting a flashing engine code from the CE light. More knowledge I didn't have 20 minutes ago. So, is there a port for a code reader on the 650? I noticed an oil leak or something earlier today also. yuck! Man, I gotta get a Clymer manual!

Nope, no port, either. The ECU on the 650s is a very, very simple little device (they don't even call it an ECU - they call it the "igniter"). Nothing fancy at all. Basically all it does is calculate spark based on engine position sensor (from which it presumably derives RPM as well) and the TPS - and it will work without the TPS though performance will suffer a little.

We're basically talking late 70's, maybe early 80's technology on the 650.

John
05-25-2014, 12:26 AM,
this service manual is from the 650 site.... http://650ccnd.com/webslinger/Mods/Manua...ce_MAN.pdf

I think its for a California model and theres a box down a few pages that says 1997....LOL. So it may not be 100% super accurate but It might help you with some things. *Shrug*
LoLrcycle rider Cool
05-25-2014, 03:10 PM,
(05-25-2014, 12:26 AM)Mr RCOM Wrote: this service manual is from the 650 site.... http://650ccnd.com/webslinger/Mods/Manua...ce_MAN.pdf

I think its for a California model and theres a box down a few pages that says 1997....LOL. So it may not be 100% super accurate but It might help you with some things. *Shrug*

Except for the ECU and maybe a couple of minor cosmetic changes I don't think that there have been any changes on the 650 since 1997!

I think that's the same manual I have - file name indicates it's for 1998-2011. The basic manual is © 1997, and the last supplement © was in 2005.

John
05-08-2017, 11:08 PM,
2006 v star 650 Same problem but I get eror codes highway speed I get down on it I get a check engine light to come on. Come to a stop turn off by kill switch on handlebar leave key on engine light blinks 4 long 2 short.
I've checked TPS, neutral switch, kickstand switch, everything OK cannot figure it out bike seems to run OK
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Check engine light reset Dholland2121 1 659 05-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Steve Lank
  Check Engine light / speedo pulse - update OldePhart 6 1,987 05-08-2017, 10:41 PM
  V star 650 check engine light Dholland2121 1 840 05-08-2017, 10:36 PM
  Valve clearance check david_harrisson 5 1,207 07-01-2016, 03:03 AM
Last Post: ddog6900
  650 Top Speed Boomer 14 6,397 08-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Boomer