Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
06-11-2014, 09:17 PM,
LED turn signals = load resistors or Flasher
So, I knew this could happen but did it anyways..
Replaced my turn signals bulbs with LEDs and of course they flash to fast...
Now, supposedly the solution is an Load resistor not bad is about $10 for 4 but they are kind if big and would have to figure out where to install....
The other alternative is a LED flasher witch would fix the problem...
I personally would love the flasher Because is easier to install
PROBLEM:
The vstar has a 5 pin flasher and the LED flashers I've found are 2 or 3 pins...
The vstar flashers has auto canceling ...I don't care for that..

Question:
How can I make one of those 3 pin flashers work ? Is it even possible ?
06-11-2014, 11:30 PM,
RE: LED turn signals = load resistors or Flasher
You should be able to make a 3 pin flasher work - I will have to study the schematic when I get a chance.

That said, if you replaced ALL the signals with LEDs I'd just let them flash fast - I think they're more noticable that way. You don't want to let them flash fast if you have some incandescent signals in the mix though because they don't shut on and off fast enough so they just kind of "pulse" and are less noticeable.

BTW, if you add the load resistors you will negate any current you saved by switching to LEDs, assuming that's the reason you switched. The load resistors for the front signals will be powered up all the time, just the way the bulbs are.

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
06-12-2014, 12:14 AM,
John as always thank you
Yes, the idea is to save power and yes I was wondering if having resistors would help at all..
Based on what I've found out I would need the resistor for the turn signal filament/led equivalent and not the running side of it
06-12-2014, 09:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-12-2014, 09:47 AM by OldePhart.)
(06-12-2014, 12:14 AM)Maustarman Wrote: John as always thank you
Yes, the idea is to save power and yes I was wondering if having resistors would help at all..
Based on what I've found out I would need the resistor for the turn signal filament/led equivalent and not the running side of it
Yeah, you're right about that. I wasn't thinking, or rather, I was thinking about the custom replacements I made for my front lollies. They actually use the brightest setting for running and when the signal flashes it shuts the LEDs off. So the lollies "run" bright and they blink bright-off-bright-off instead of dim-bright-dim-bright.

As for power savings - using the resistors won't hurt you too bad if you put them on as either one for each signal or one for each side (after the signal switch). Just don't do like some guys do...they wire a load resistor between the blinker relay and the signal switch. It lets you get away with one resistor but that resistor runs very hot because the blinker relay is running under load constantly, even when the signals are not being used. That actually uses more average current than the stock signals (by a LOT)! I read about one guy who mounted the resistor under his seat and it melted the seat, might even have caught fire a bit.

John
06-12-2014, 05:45 PM,
@Maustarman - I downloaded a service manual for the 1100 so I could check that schematic for you.

Please see the fragment of the schematic below, I've marked it up for you. This schematic is for the 2006/2007 models but I doubt that there are any differences. The aftermarket 3-terminal flasher will probably be marked something like "+", "-", and "S" or something similar. The brown wire goes to +, the black wire to -, and the brown wire with the white stripe goes to the S. The white/green and yellow/red wires are for the auto-canceling so you won't need them.

[Image: 2006_2007_vstar_1100_flasher.jpg]
06-22-2014, 02:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2014, 02:25 AM by Maustarman.)
@oldephart
Thank you john.. This was great.
I tried as you recommended and it worked for the most part.
The only thing was that if I disconnected the black wire from the stock relay and used it for the led relay I would get this weird thing where all 4 lights will flash.
I connected the black to the main flasher and wired a - negative directly from the frame and magic happen :)
Now everything works just perfect.
Thank you very much friend. As always your advice was right in the target.

Disconnected the pins from the OEM relay connector and covered them with heat-shrink tubing and used the same blade connectors for the LED relay
[Image: y7asesaq.jpg]
Here it is all connected
[Image: 3e5eny2u.jpg]
Used double sided tape to piggy mounted to the OEM relay and it looks like factory done
[Image: 7a6uqage.jpg]
06-22-2014, 03:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2014, 03:21 PM by OldePhart.)
Looks good. That's weird with the ground feeding back like that. It shows on the schematic that the black wire is a straight frame ground. Well, schematics have been known to be wrong!

What counts is it's working!

John

(06-22-2014, 03:20 PM)OldePhart Wrote: Looks good. That's weird with the ground feeding back like that. It shows on the schematic that the black wire is a straight frame ground. Well, schematics have been known to be wrong!

I would have just removed the original flasher completely. What counts is it's working!

John
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turn Signal Issues mlawson 0 448 04-14-2018, 04:10 PM
Last Post: mlawson
  How to disconnect front turn signal wires Holtmann 3 735 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Holtmann
  Help!! I have no turn signals at all!! mikeinflo 0 1,324 03-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Last Post: mikeinflo
  any way to make front signals flash on and off rather than dim and bright? Herubinr38 3 2,247 05-26-2016, 08:16 AM
Last Post: huntpro13
  Installed LED turn signals, now no speedo hckycoz 3 2,032 02-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Last Post: OldePhart
  Turn signals are funky rvader 4 2,244 12-15-2014, 11:35 PM
  Turn signals cancelling stantheman 14 8,007 10-02-2014, 09:55 AM
  Strange Spark Signals indie_rocker 6 2,340 08-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Last Post: indie_rocker
  Found some decent compact LED turn signals. OldePhart 22 9,328 07-12-2014, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Mr RCOM
  DPDT Toggle switch for Turn Signals... Help! Maustarman 3 3,006 12-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Last Post: colonel