Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
06-20-2014, 08:25 AM,
Plastidip anyone? pics...
When I got the bike, it had 2 fairly big dents on top of the tank. Bought new open box tank on eBay and paint color/scheme was just a bit off. I decided to do flat black plastidip on tank and fenders. I can easily take it off if I don't like it. Came out surprisingly good except for the last coat on tank, I ran out so it has some texture to it on the top. There's metallizers for it too, gunmetal!

Has anyone tried this?[Image: u3ypezaj.jpg][Image: 6uhesubu.jpg]

Live free, ride hard!
06-20-2014, 08:41 AM,
RE: Plastidip anyone? pics...
Yeah that look really really good. Way better than my matte black job. I used like some epoxy paint though cause i didnt know about plasti dip at the time. Ive never used it myself but after seeing how it turned out on 2 coworkers wheels and online im gonna try it out.

I plan on doing mine either flat black again or doing like a yellow or lime green on my tins and leaving the frame and whatnot black
LoLrcycle rider Cool
06-20-2014, 09:42 PM,
I've heard good things about plasti dip. I may give it a shot just to see what my bike would look like matte black instead of gloss.
06-20-2014, 11:43 PM,
Re: Plastidip anyone? pics...
Yeah, it's very inexpensive at about $6 a can. Took 1 can to do fenders and tank. I'd do two cans if you're doing the side covers as well. It's durable but also easy to take off when you want to change the look, peels off in one piece like a sticker!

Live free, ride hard!
06-21-2014, 09:15 AM,
Wow only one one or two cans?

But i did read this on the dip website it doesnt like gas. So when your filling up make sure you dont spill a ton or wipe it up super quick. And leave it down a bit when its super hot out. Itll vent out the cap. Its happened to me once!
LoLrcycle rider Cool
06-21-2014, 11:36 AM,
Yeah, there's no protection coating against chemicals. Last night my girlfriend has her grandfather sit on the bike to take a pic and when he got off, he accidentally scraped the rear fender with his boot. A line of plastidip came right off... I'll have to touch it up, it is after all just a rubber coating of sorts.
06-21-2014, 12:31 PM,
Goo. How many coats did you put on your pieces?
LoLrcycle rider Cool
06-21-2014, 01:31 PM,
Four coats.
06-21-2014, 03:54 PM,
Does it spray out the same as a rattle can paint. It seems like it would almost spray out "chunky", if that makes sense. I guess what I'm asking is... does the final coat get as smooth as paint, or is it more like a bed liner type of surface?
06-21-2014, 05:14 PM,
It sprays just like normal paint as far as the mist and I use the same technique. But it's a flat rubbery texture to the touch. There's other final coats you can apply to it, like plastidip Metalizer and flakes. There's even a guy on YouTube that did a carbon fiber finish with plastidip!
06-22-2014, 10:16 PM,
I got some black and blaze green two days ago and today i painted some of my stuff.

The green didnt turn out as id hoped but i might use it to accent some stuff. i did my side cover, tank, and headlight cup and ring with tue black and it looks like itll turn out really great. I need to get another can to finish the rear fender and the handlebar and mirrors.

So far i really like using it. I think its easier to use than regular paint
LoLrcycle rider Cool
06-23-2014, 04:15 PM,
I was debating on painting my side covers black so I decided to dip them first in case I didn't like it. The plasti dip turned out better then I expected. The application was super easy because the only prep work was cleaning and drying the parts, the matte finish matches my frame almost perfect, and it's pretty durable. I put 5 coats on, and have put around 200 miles on since, and they still look perfect. I thought the heat from the exhaust would cause some problems, but it hasn't yet. I would be careful with the tank because gasoline will deteriorate the plasti dip. You guys should check out https://www.dipyourcar.com/ They have some great how to videos, plus there are some really crazy colors and finishes you can do with plasti dip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY...SoeD_ZogTz
'07 1100 Custom; Cobra Pipes, Kuryakyn Hypercharger
06-23-2014, 04:31 PM,
Good to hear the black dip comes close to matching the frame. I havent put the parts ive done back on the bike yet and i was wondering how it would look.

I dont think the gas will be a super big deal... it sorta goofed up the paint on the previous job so ive gotten used to getting a paper towel and being more careful.

I did spray these parts in my basment cause its pretty humid out and i didnt really think to wear a respirator and after 2 coats on the pieces my throat started hurting. Id recomend anyone spraying this to wear one... its pretty comon sence i guess... but for me i overlook that kind of stuff a lot
LoLrcycle rider Cool
06-23-2014, 05:35 PM,
(06-23-2014, 04:31 PM)Mr RCOM Wrote: I did spray these parts in my basment cause its pretty humid out and i didnt really think to wear a respirator and after 2 coats on the pieces my throat started hurting. Id recomend anyone spraying this to wear one... its pretty comon sence i guess... but for me i overlook that kind of stuff a lot
Eeek, not good, friend. I 'spect your lungs looked a bit similar to the bike parts for a while, there. Fortunately the body is pretty good at flushing our stupidity as long as we don't do it too often (should have seen me after I rattle-canned a crew-cab dually pickup in my garage one time).

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
08-03-2014, 01:10 AM,
Plasti-Dip Rules
Knowing no guy would buy a hot pink bike I started experimenting with Plasti-Dip.
On my 950, I got tired of polishing the chrome.
My Road Star they guys asked if it was going to be pink so I tried purple but that wasn't meConfused so its PINK...
I love fact that I can change it when ever I feel the need. Never know I might try Green or Blue someday

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post up pics Matt 161 36,246 05-28-2017, 04:26 PM
Last Post: jonesberg
  V-Star 1300 Deluxe-Pics of Custom Seat and Bag Covers. Montero1 1 2,434 09-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Steph70
  Last pics before I tear it down for Paint spidr 47 7,964 08-21-2014, 10:48 PM
Last Post: spidr
  Pics finally working DocLubo 13 3,561 08-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Last Post: OldePhart
  Pics for Mike DocLubo 12 3,248 08-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Agspace