Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
06-23-2014, 08:14 AM,
Anyone using this LED for headlight?
Found this on the Stryker forum. Would this work for VStar?

http://shop.nightflasherleds.com/other/l...-bulb.html
Sent from my HTC X8 Windows Phone using Tapatalk
06-23-2014, 11:25 AM,
It would probably fit the only problem is that it doesn't have a double function ie: low/high beams it only has one setting that's why you see it in bikes with double headlights
06-23-2014, 12:16 PM,
RE: Anyone using this LED for headlight?
From the specs it does appear to be a two function bulb, "Power Hi-15W/Lo-10W". In some of the headlight change discussions that I've read, it was stated that the reflector in the OEM housing is designed for the Halogen bulb and not the best for HID and LED bulbs. There is a difference. Dodgy
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
06-23-2014, 12:20 PM,
Oh ok...
I guess I didn't read the specs all the way
06-23-2014, 12:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2014, 12:37 PM by commonground.)
Yeh, sometimes I read something several times over and then a light comes on. Usually it is a lighted sign that says "sit down and shut up Aug". Smile

Here's a good read on different types of headlight bulbs. Some of the comments are good too.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/battle...26530.html
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
06-23-2014, 01:17 PM,
yeah, @commonground have read the same in regards to HID, but then some still swear by them for night riding, supposedly not as focused a beam just throws it but lights up the road very well. so would imagine that could very well be the same result with the led.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

06-23-2014, 05:41 PM,
I've heard of pretty bad problems with HID replacements because of the mismatch with the housing/lens design. The "throw" from an HID is in a different plane than the "throw" from a halogen - so when you replace an H3 with an HID "replacement" the result is blinding to oncoming drivers but doesn't really throw a very good pattern for the rider to see by.

This is LED, though, and may not be as big an issue. Also, the main complaint I've seen with the LED replacements is that they throw more light close to the bike (sides and low) giving a false sense that one can see well when in fact it affects the night vision and you end up not being able to see as well at the end of the beam. I.e. it seems like LED lights would be great for low speed riding and maybe even freeway riding in metropolitan areas but probably not so good on dark highways at fast speeds (60's and up).

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
06-27-2014, 07:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-27-2014, 07:35 PM by OldePhart.)
Had a heck of a time finding this thread again...

Anyway, does the 950 use a headlight bulb other than an H4? The bulb referenced at the top of this thread doesn't look like it would plug and play for an H4...and that might put the emitters in the wrong place to work right with the reflector and lens.

Anyway, I updated this thread to remark that I've found a 2000 lumen LED replacement for the H4 and I've ordered one to try in my 650. Some guys in the sports car forums are using them with good results.

Whatever you do, avoid the cheap ones with a bunch of small LEDs. They are worse than useless. You want the ones similar to the one at the top of this post, with a single high-power emitter for each beam. There are some LED replacements for H4s that are DOT approved, now (surprised me, actually). GE makes a set but they only sell them in sets of two and they are 200 big ones online.

I found an H4 replacement using CREE emitters (one of the pioneers in highpower, as opposed to super bright, LEDs) and ordered that from this place http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/h4-c...e-kit.html

Less than $75 with shipping for a single bulb, which is about the cheapest I've found for "real" bulbs that I would consider trusting my life to...

John
06-27-2014, 08:26 PM,
@Oldephart
John thank you this is really cool info
I'll be looking forward to your review of it
06-27-2014, 10:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-27-2014, 10:27 PM by matty032.)
[quote='OldePhart' pid='27521' dateline='1403908463']
Had a heck of a time finding this thread again...

Anyway, does the 950 use a headlight bulb other than an H4? The bulb referenced at the top of this thread doesn't look like it would plug and play for an H4...and that might put the emitters in the wrong place to work right with the reflector and lens.

The 950 uses an H4. Comes with a 55 watt H4 bulb. Anyone tried on of these?
http://shop.nightflasherleds.com/

The 950 does use a 55watt H4 bulb.
Sent from my HTC X8 Windows Phone using Tapatalk
06-28-2014, 09:50 AM,
http://stores.advmonster.com/h4-led-headlight/

guy on the delphi forum foubd this for his 1100. Says its plug and play.
LoLrcycle rider Cool
06-28-2014, 09:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2014, 10:10 AM by OldePhart.)
(06-27-2014, 08:26 PM)Maustarman Wrote: @Oldephart
John thank you this is really cool info
I'll be looking forward to your review of it

I was excited to find that they've made this much progress in the high-power LED market because aside from the ignition the headlight is the biggest power hog on the bike. This unit supposedly pulls a bit over 2 amps as opposed to almost 5 for the stock headlight. That leaves 2 or 2-1/2 amps to run other goodies like additional lights, heated grips, etc. No other single change on a bike frees up that much current. Switching to LED front turn signals/running lights will save about 1/2 amp at most, ditto for the tail light.

Also, I use a headlight modulator and LEDs, because they run cooler, tend not to be as affected by pulsing as tungsten bulbs are.

I still would use caution, though. From what I've been able to find out these bulbs really are brighter than standard H4 bulbs (about 2000 lumen vs. 1100) and the properly designed ones have a throw pattern similar to that from a tungsten bulb. However, they still do throw more light to the sides nearby which can leave you a false sense of security that you can see further than you actually can. This is compounded by the fact that the higher light temperature (around 6000 instead of 4000 of a tungsten) makes some reflective materials respond well from further away...so again you have to realize that because you can see the reflectors 1000' ahead doesn't mean you can see the road and any objects in it that far away.

John

Sweet. I wish I had the money and time to do a shoot out with some of these bulbs against each other and the standard and super-bright tungsten bulbs. It would be really interesting to be able to measure light output and throw pattern accurately.

The thing that attracted me to the bulb I bought was that the cutoff region looked very similar to that of a standard bulb. The guy that blogged about them photographed the pattern they threw on his garage door. Many of the LED lights don't have a good cutoff - they throw too much light up and can blind oncoming drivers. This is one of the main reasons that there aren't many DOT approved LED lights yet, and no DOT approved HID replacement bulbs. Retrofit HID, in particular, is very dangerous to oncoming drivers.

Anyway, the cutoff on these bulbs was a little "softer" than that of a standard tungsten bulb but the cutoff line was still pretty distinct and at the same elevation as the stock bulbs. The guy and his brother went out in two cars and drove around at night seeing if the LED bulbs were distracting to other drivers either from behind or oncoming and they were okay, at least in that car (Mazda Miata, I think it was). Since the housings are designed very specifically for the tight design parameters of a tungsten H4 a bulb that works well in one housing designed for H4 should work well in any housing designed for H4.

John

(06-28-2014, 09:50 AM)Mr RCOM Wrote: http://stores.advmonster.com/h4-led-headlight/

06-28-2014, 02:18 PM,
(06-28-2014, 09:50 AM)Mr RCOM Wrote: http://stores.advmonster.com/h4-led-headlight/

Would it work for the 950 as well?
06-29-2014, 12:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-29-2014, 12:06 AM by Mr RCOM.)
Um if the bulb accepts a h4 type then sure... im not a light wizard. Im not even sure if h4 is the socket type or what lol.

There are a few id like to try. I think my headlight might be buring out soon.... heh heh...

All i know for sure is cause i was painting the headlight cup and there aint a lot of room for one of the lights with the huge heat sink. I think the ones with the fans could be too big
LoLrcycle rider Cool
06-29-2014, 11:56 AM,
my houston bike buddy has a vulcan 2000 said he is running the hid as he does lots of nite riding, says nothing lights up the road better. i am running the sylvania silver star now, its way better than stock, got a good deal off ebay on it, was like $15 less than wally.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headlight ON ?? Ohiwish 7 2,572 03-31-2018, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Batman
  Headlight Modulation Plug and play Wraven612 0 604 08-16-2017, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Wraven612