Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
07-08-2014, 11:41 PM,
Found some decent compact LED turn signals.
I found some decent compact LED turn signals, and they aren't terribly expensive. They aren't great out of the box, but are more visible than the stock LED signals on some of the newer sport bikes and are definitely more visible than the tiny bullet lights some guys are running on their bobbers. I'm going to put a set of these at the rear of my fender, replacing the stock units.

BTW, these are SpeedMetal brand, one of Cycle Gear's brands, and I'm way under impressed with most of their LED lighting. But, this unit is actually half decent...and the fact that it can be easily disassembled and modified makes it actually useful. ("SpeedMetal Micro LED Diamond Indicators")

[Image: speedmetaldiamondledsignal2.jpg]

Can you guess which one I modified? Biggrin

As I mentioned, out of the box they're so-so...I'd almost consider them adequate. But, since I have some CREE super bright LEDs I decided to replace one of the LEDs with one of mine...

[Image: speedmetaldiamondledsignalled.jpg]

Definitely a big difference. I've also done some experimenting with using glitter behind the LEDs to reflect the light emitted from the back of the LED (almost as bright as the front) back to the front and also break it up so it is not so directional. Here is a stripped board getting some bling...

[Image: speedmetaldiamondledsignalglitter.jpg]

That is orange glitter and not quite as reflective as gold...but I was out of gold and wanted to keep more red component because the amber LEDs are a bit more yellow than true amber incandescent signals.

Finally, here's another picture of the modified and unmodified lights side by side, at the same angle. Notice in the this photo and the first one how much more side-scatter there is from the modified signal. That's the glitter at work. So, bright LEDs, wasted backward firing light reflected forward, and more sidescatter so the signal is more visible from a wider offset angle.

[Image: speedmetaldiamondledsignal.jpg]

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
07-08-2014, 11:56 PM,
RE: Found some decent compact LED turn signals.
Talent? Boredom? maybe both!!
Awesome job either way
'07 Double One Hundred Custom Black Cherry w/Ghost flames
Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes
Barons ORK
Disabled AIS
Cobra Carb Needles
Every cage is trying to kill you so always remember, Grip it and Rip it!!!

07-09-2014, 05:31 PM,
be interesting to see same bulbs in both to show how much difference the glitter really does, would think maybe a chrome paint to the mount would reflect it better than glitter maybe?
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

07-09-2014, 07:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2014, 07:30 PM by OldePhart.)
Actually, I tried that - not on these specific units but that was one of my early experiments. The chrome paint was effective, but not as effective as the glitter. Real chrome plating (or silver mylar) would probably reflect more of the light...but it wouldn't scatter it like the glitter does. LEDs are very directional...the scattered lights help the signals be seen by somebody that is off-axis.

John
07-10-2014, 03:34 PM,
(07-09-2014, 05:31 PM)Keith Wrote: be interesting to see same bulbs in both to show how much difference the glitter really does, would think maybe a chrome paint to the mount would reflect it better than glitter maybe?
I was wondering the same thing, glad to see it was already tried.
I realized how dim mine seem during daylight when I forgot something and had to run back in the garage to get it. On the way back to the bike I could hardly tell the lights were on...
07-10-2014, 03:42 PM,
my taillight is a kuryakyn tombstone led from like 5 yr ago, wonder if i could replace the led's with some current tech as am sure current would be much brighter. the back turn signals are actually landscape reflector bulbs in a bullet style mount.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

07-10-2014, 06:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-10-2014, 06:46 PM by OldePhart.)
@Keith - it depends on how the light is designed. These Speedmetal turn signals are a rarity in that you can actually get them apart rather easily to work on them. I bought a Speedmetal auxiliary brake light designed to be mounted on the bottom two bolts of the plate. It is actually reasonably bright...but it is also sealed up tight with the lens glued on all the way around and no way to get it apart without destroying it. It's a shame, too, because inside I can see a circuit board with through-hole resistors even...just begging to be modified. Angry

If you can replace the led's chances are you will see anywhere from 100% to 200% increase in brightness, and if you put red glitter behind, even more. (I've found that "Duck" tape makes a red glitter craft tape that is way easier to work with than glue and glitter, too.)

HOWEVER...even with brighter LEDs and reflective material you're still dealing with the same current ratios so the nasty little problem of the brake light being only about three times brighter than the tail light doesn't go away.

John
07-11-2014, 01:04 PM,
jeez, still working on rewiring this thing, come on kuryakyn, use bright colors, nooooo, turn signal wires are violet and brown, inside that dang fender it all looks black, found a stripped out red wire, managed to splice it back together, working from under the fender with hardly any light is a major pita. if it happened when had the flat, the tech had to of seen the mess to the wiring! couple of wires had all the insulation peeled away so taped them up. but still have a long way to go matching up, splicing and plugging.

07-11-2014, 01:18 PM,
If it's anything like the 650 Custom it's well worth removing two bolts and loosening the other two to swing the fender up where you can work on it...
07-11-2014, 01:54 PM,
hope so, cause hardly room for my big ol head to fit under the classic fender to peek under it, then trying to get hands in there to work, splicing, pulling, good times bro.

07-11-2014, 05:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2014, 05:33 PM by OldePhart.)
@ Keith on the Custom there are two large allen-head bolts on each side that hold the fender stay to the frame - up near the front of the stay. Remove the seats and the rear bolts, loosen the front bolts a little, and the whole fender assembly swings up from the back. On mine the sissy bar and tail rack don't need to come off or anything. It only takes about 5 minutes or so and will save you a ton of "fiddly" work.

I put the rear bolts back in a few turns to keep the assembly from falling back down, though it never has tried.

I can't imagine the 1100 Classic being that different...

John
07-11-2014, 06:00 PM,
@OldePhart be trying tomorrow spray off all over my yard is squito central, pull a fan out on high and go to work, with fender up will try to adjust my shock too.

07-11-2014, 07:06 PM,
(07-11-2014, 06:00 PM)Keith Wrote: @OldePhart be trying tomorrow spray off all over my yard is squito central,

Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
07-11-2014, 07:12 PM,
good one @commonground yep and we have been bad on the virus they give down here, so bites not good, i have at least 10 still showing. deep woods sprayed on, bet still get bit!

07-11-2014, 07:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2014, 07:25 PM by commonground.)
(07-11-2014, 07:12 PM)Keith Wrote: good one @commonground yep and we have been bad on the virus they give down here, so bites not good, i have at least 10 still showing. deep woods sprayed on, bet still get bit!
We are having a scurge of wood ticks here. I'm not sure why. I put the flea and tick stuff on the dog and the ticks then look for other hosts. I've been targeted as especially tasty. Angry

From cheap LEDs to wood ticks. Where are the cats?
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turn Signal Issues mlawson 0 298 04-14-2018, 04:10 PM
Last Post: mlawson
  How to disconnect front turn signal wires Holtmann 3 533 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Holtmann
  Help!! I have no turn signals at all!! mikeinflo 0 1,209 03-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Last Post: mikeinflo
  any way to make front signals flash on and off rather than dim and bright? Herubinr38 3 2,016 05-26-2016, 08:16 AM
Last Post: huntpro13
  Found Gracie's 2nd cousin Kimsnot 2 1,240 12-03-2015, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Kimsnot
  Installed LED turn signals, now no speedo hckycoz 3 1,848 02-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Last Post: OldePhart
  Turn signals are funky rvader 4 1,993 12-15-2014, 11:35 PM
  Turn signals cancelling stantheman 14 7,360 10-02-2014, 09:55 AM
  Strange Spark Signals indie_rocker 6 2,106 08-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Last Post: indie_rocker
  LED turn signals = load resistors or Flasher Maustarman 6 8,897 06-22-2014, 03:20 PM