Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
08-06-2014, 10:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-06-2014, 10:07 AM by Kimsnot.)
Wrapping Exhaust pipes 2009 Road Star 1700
Opps should be 2007

I have short legs and since moving to the Road Star I have a nice burn on the inside of my right leg from where it hits the back pipe when I am at a stop.

I know to get the wrap wet and have been told go back to front so exposed edge is down wind. but I've seen different reviews about removing heat shields first but then I hear they may not go back on over curves or just leave them and wrap over them, which causes fatter pipes.

what to do what to do. any advice?
08-06-2014, 02:29 PM,
RE: Wrapping Exhaust pipes 2009 Road Star 1700
I haven't wrapped pipes but I would check to see if the heat shields on your Road Star attach using ordinary hose clamps like many aftermarket units do. If so, you can get longer hose clamps from a hardware store and they should fit over the wrapped pipes.

I think it would be difficult to get a smooth wrap over and around the heat shields.

Hmmmm...how effective is wrapping the pipes, I wonder? If effective enough couldn't one omit the heat shields entirely?

I can sympathize with the burn thing - I have a similar issue since I put V&H Cruzers on my 650 - finally got a chance to ride for a couple of hours last Saturday...the first decent ride since replacing the pipes. Sat at one light for a long time and then when pulling a way my hot pants leg got my attention when I lifted my foot onto the floorboard. Guess I'm going to have to get me some skinny jeans... LOL

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
08-06-2014, 03:29 PM,
yeah, my pipes get really hot and sitting at a light in this 100 degree weather wow, all you keep saying to yourself, come on green, come on green! then when put up leg learn to scoot it over to the far edge of the floorboard.

do more research on the wrap surely someone has how much it will affect the felt heat. thought someone here had wrapped their pipes, maybe our untaggable Mr R Com.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

08-06-2014, 11:49 PM,
ok took better look no way to take covers off welded on so guess I'm wrapping over them.
08-07-2014, 01:12 AM,
i hack sawed the shields off mine. back then i didnt have a 4.5" grinder which would of made it much easier.

i like the wrap though. i wouldnt touch the head pipes but back where my legs are i can touch them without worry
LoLrcycle rider Cool
08-07-2014, 07:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2014, 08:00 AM by Kimsnot.)
[Image: zu7ybaja.jpg]

this is where I need to decrease the heat. are you saying that you would not wrap this high? I basically need from about 1 inch off header down pipe about 6 inches (the curve) to be wrapped to decrease heat and keep from burning my leg more.
08-07-2014, 09:22 AM,
morning, i believe he was saying that he had to cut his shields off, so a dremel with a cutting wheel should do it, thought it was odd that they are heat shields but they get so dang hot so not shielding much. he cut the welds off his with a hack saw then taped up the pipe, hack saw would be a lot of work.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

08-07-2014, 11:33 AM,
lol thankfully I have a few garages full of power tools I can chose from if I need to take mine off. No hacksaw action for me specially after shoulder surgery.

my ? is he says header pipes. wouldn't that basically be the area I'm needing to do?
08-07-2014, 12:32 PM,
yep, that would be the area that you are feeling the extreme heat from.

08-07-2014, 12:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2014, 12:36 PM by Kimsnot.)
(08-07-2014, 12:13 PM)commonground Wrote: Dumb question: If there is a heat shield on there, can you piggyback another piece of heat shield on top? Just a thought. Dodgy

I believe that would then keep me from being able to flatfoot that side. and I'm not sure that would work. any one else have an idea about a second heat shield?

and there's never a dumb question.
08-07-2014, 12:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2014, 12:50 PM by OldePhart.)
That first bend gets really, really, REALLY hot - it's all but "in" the combustion chamber - depending on your fuel/air mix and timing it's not unusual for that area to actually contain flame.

I wonder if you could attach some sort of heat shield to the side cover?... That way it wouldn't pick up heat from the pipe or existing heat shield. Maybe fiberglass over a piano wire form extending out and forward to keep pant leg off the pipe? Of course, you'd have to be sure it didn't press against the pipe and get hot enough for the heat to travel back and melt the side cover...

Hmmm...Kim, didn't you say you always wear riding pants? Easiest solution might be to sew an insulated shield to the outside of the pants leg...probably only needs to be a little oblong patch three by four inches...

BTW...are you missing a fastener at the back of that side cover?

John

Hmmm, rather than the side cover it might be better to attach some sort of heat-shield "skirt" to the bottom of the seat or the frame under the seat...
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
08-07-2014, 01:42 PM,
@OldePhart if attached a skirt to the bike to keep heat away, would that then keep air from getting to the cylinder thus making it run hotter?

08-07-2014, 03:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2014, 03:36 PM by Kimsnot.)
common. lol I don't even ride my horse like that.

(08-07-2014, 12:42 PM)OldePhart Wrote: That first bend gets really, really, REALLY hot - it's all but "in" the combustion chamber - depending on your fuel/air mix and timing it's not unusual for that area to actually contain flame.

Hmmm...Kim, didn't you say you always wear riding pants? Easiest solution might be to sew an insulated shield to the outside of the pants leg...probably only needs to be a little oblong patch three by four inches...

BTW...are you missing a fastener at the back of that side

yea it gets hot I have 2nd degree burn for it thru my riding pants.

my personal doc suggested a leather wrap just for when in riding she made one out of a six inch wide piece of leather and put Velcro to hold it around her thigh.

and phew I ran out to check that side cover bolt then remembered I had replaced it with a black one. lol
08-07-2014, 03:43 PM,
here is the suggestion I got from the Neurosurgeon I work for[Image: vadygysa.jpg]

he's soooo funny. not!
08-07-2014, 03:45 PM,
lol I'm sure.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aftermarket pipes - recommendations? Yamahopper 6 1,634 04-07-2016, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Yamahopper
  V Star aftermarket exhaust. Tracker 16 7,632 10-10-2015, 05:48 AM
Last Post: MUDD
  question about v star 950 exhaust fusion 8 5,727 08-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Jquinn