Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
08-16-2014, 07:21 AM,
Windshield for Road Star
well time to look for a windshield any suggestions? thinking I better stick with 7" headlight cut out since I still want to put different front turn signals and light bar on. I'm not sure how someone would think these are a wise choice for turn signals[Image: u2unyqyh.jpg]

well guess while I'm at it any suggestions for turn signals and lights? I do routinely ride in the early dark hours (4am) so I want the deer and other animals to see me coming plus living by the Mexican border I need to be able to see our local border patrol agents and any international traveler when they are on foot.

Thanks for your suggestions

Kim
08-16-2014, 08:09 AM,
RE: Windshield for Road Star
I would highly recommend the National Cycle wind shields. http://www.nationalcycle.com/ They have a lot of sizes, styles and the best material.

.pdf   Windshield Height.pdf (Size: 3576 KB / Downloads: 11)
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
08-16-2014, 08:55 AM,
love my Memphis Shades has the big cut out too and can get in a variety of colors along with excellent customer service, did not put thread lock on the mounting bolts and lost a couple, i emailed them and they sent 2 to me free.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

08-16-2014, 12:10 PM,
Windshield for Road Star
common. thanks for the height info. that help and makes sense.

Keith - can't beat good customer service. now a days that speaks volumes.
08-16-2014, 12:23 PM,
Holy carp! Are those the factory turn signals? Not only really small, but small and that close to the headlight they've got to be darned near useless! Granted, it's a lot more important that the rear signals be prominent, but still, those might as well not even be there.

I plan on getting some Oberon bar-end signals. They are bright for LED units and they can be seen from front and back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6HJiFQyTws
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
08-16-2014, 01:19 PM,
i have seen additional turn signals on the mirrors on a few bikes lately, now that was wise to do that as can be seen much better just like the later model cars and trucks have.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

08-17-2014, 12:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 12:58 AM by Kimsnot.)
Windshield for Road Star
(08-16-2014, 12:23 PM)OldePhart Wrote: Holy carp! Are those the factory turn signals? Not only really small, but small and that close to the headlight they've got to be darned near useless! Granted, it's a lot more important that the rear signals be prominent, but still, those might as well not even be there.

I plan on getting some Oberon bar-end signals. They are bright for LED units and they can be seen from front and back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6HJiFQyTws

lol not factory thank god. the rear turn signals are no better. [Image: urugenyb.jpg]. can you see them? lol when I see my daughter behind me in this [Image: 2uvuhyty.jpg] I want to make sure she sees me and those little POS turn signals aren't cutting it

(08-16-2014, 01:19 PM)Keith Wrote: i have seen additional turn signals on the mirrors on a few bikes lately, now that was wise to do that as can be seen much better just like the later model cars and trucks have.

I was looking at those online last night. just need to get the ex hubby on board to do the wiring for everything I'm going to be changing out and adding. lol I will do anything to my bike and truck heck even the house but when it has live current count me out. I don't want to blow something up or get another shock. once was enough.
08-17-2014, 03:21 PM,
Yeah...front signals are less important in my book...not unimportant...just not as critical as the rear. If I'm turning left it's my responsibility not to turn in front of oncoming traffic, anyway. It's those people barreling up behind me that don't see me stopped waiting to turn left that worry me a lot more. I'll actually go a few blocks out of my way to turn where there is a dedicated left turn lane but sometimes that's just not an option.

The signals I've got on now are actually more visible than the signals on most sport bikes but still are barely adequate in my book...that's why I want the Oberon bar ends because they're visible from back and front and they stick out so far that if I am at the left of a lane people can see them even if there is a cage between me and them.

John
08-19-2014, 09:25 PM,
(08-17-2014, 03:21 PM)OldePhart Wrote: Yeah...front signals are less important in my book...not unimportant...just not as critical as the rear. If I'm turning left it's my responsibility not to turn in front of oncoming traffic, anyway. It's those people barreling up behind me that don't see me stopped waiting to turn left that worry me a lot more. I'll actually go a few blocks out of my way to turn where there is a dedicated left turn lane but sometimes that's just not an option.

The signals I've got on now are actually more visible than the signals on most sport bikes but still are barely adequate in my book...that's why I want the Oberon bar ends because they're visible from back and front and they stick out so far that if I am at the left of a lane people can see them even if there is a cage between me and them.

John
I just Ordered this type I lke how it does not draw attension from looking at the bike

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2009 Vstar1300 crash bar,screen,Air Kit,Cobra Swept exhaust,rack/bag,Fi2000R fuel/ign Modulator,mini pillion & Hawker Forward controls n pegs
08-19-2014, 09:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-19-2014, 10:17 PM by commonground.)
@bean07 Are you referring to the turn signals or the windshield? I assume the windshield but, you were replying to the @OldePhart post about turn signals, so was not sure.

The windshield is pretty stylish. You will have to let us know how it works. It is really narrow at the top. I'm curious about the spill over from the sides.
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
08-19-2014, 09:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2014, 10:51 PM by bean07.)
(08-19-2014, 09:42 PM)commonground Wrote: @bean07 Are you referring to the turn signals or the windshield? I assume the windshield but, you were replying to the @OldePhart post about turn signals, so was not sure.

The windshield is pretty stylish. You will have to let us know how it works. It is really narrows at the top. I'm curious about the spill over from the sides.

sorry yes the windsheild, I read if its level with your nose it will deflect the buffeting correctly, it,s a gamble on my part but my mate Goody with his XJR1300 got a similar screen and has made a majour differance to buffetting, thats my main aim besides not drawing attension to it!,it,s coming from the USA so in say two weeks I,ll post a responce on how it works out
2009 Vstar1300 crash bar,screen,Air Kit,Cobra Swept exhaust,rack/bag,Fi2000R fuel/ign Modulator,mini pillion & Hawker Forward controls n pegs
08-19-2014, 09:57 PM,
(08-19-2014, 09:25 PM)bean07 Wrote: I just Ordered this type I lke how it does not draw attension from looking at the bike

That's very close to the style you see on many "adventure" and sport touring bikes. It will be interesting to see how the design works on a cruiser. It might work well on one with pulled-back bars like the bike shown...but I wonder if it might be a bit narrow for a bike with wider, flatter bars, where your arms and shoulders are pulled out more to the sides but torso is still upright...

Let us know how it works out.

John
09-03-2014, 11:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2014, 11:04 PM by bean07.)
It arrived this morning and I installed it I must say I like how it,s not in ya face type look like some i,ve seen , as for how it is on a ride well I wont know that till my L/H femur and my R/H forearm is ok.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

09-04-2014, 03:34 PM,
man @bean07 that has to be the smallest shield ever seen on a cruiser, but like they say if you like it, thats all that matters!

09-14-2014, 02:02 PM,
Windshield for Road Star
Well I got a windshield. ended up with Memphis Shades Fat 17".

This past week I have been packing and Friday while taking a break I decided to put the thing on. lol yea right! those damn little front turn signals that the last owner put on her are hidden by the mounting brackets. so back in the box it went until I get new front turn signals. my ex is an eBay addict so he spent the day looking around found me the light bar that I like and it's from someone local. so hopefully next weekend I will have the front light bar and windshield on. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Kimberly
President STAR Touring and Riding
Chapter 224, El Cajon, CA.
"Plasti-Dip Freak"
[SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES] "Gracie" 2007 RoadStar 1700.

Asphalt, the worlds fastest tattoo remover.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windshield mount - lower triple tree hex bolts (turn signal) chesapeake301 0 516 06-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: chesapeake301
  Windshield Lowers causing problem TimandSally 1 1,129 02-20-2017, 03:02 AM
Last Post: jmck
  Windshield size Question on 2014 V-Star 950 Tourer TimandSally 5 1,467 09-25-2016, 02:12 AM
Last Post: TimandSally
  Silverado windshield Blackacre1066 1 953 06-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Last Post: pauli466
Emoticon_unhappy Yamaha "Genuine" Star windshield mount - broken! jc_08_vstar_classic 18 3,156 04-29-2016, 08:07 PM
Last Post: pauli466
  Memphis Shades or Yamaha windshield crazydog 5 1,853 06-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Keith
  Memphis Shades or Yamaha windshield crazydog 0 685 06-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Last Post: crazydog
  Help with windshield install ddb 0 792 06-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Last Post: ddb
  Windshield help Elk 8 2,657 04-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Elk
  Cleaning windshield away from home Kimsnot 7 2,087 11-13-2014, 07:17 AM
Last Post: ralph21