Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10-13-2014, 03:53 PM,
issue with LED tail light installation
I just bought an LED integrated tail light from Chrome Glow and went to install it on my '05 v star 1100 Classic this weekend. Installation is supposed to pretty much plug and play. I got the motherboard plugged into the socket and the turn signal wiring done. The problem that I have is that the turn signals are running fast and now the brake light doesn't work. I unplugged the LED motherboard and plugged the bulb back into the socket and the brake light still will not come on after grabbing the brake lever or pushing down on the brake pedal. I pulled the turn signal relay out from under the tank per the instructions but I'm having trouble determining which wire is the 12v constant and which one is the 12v flashing wires to hook their relay up to.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
10-13-2014, 05:08 PM,
RE: issue with LED tail light installation
sounds like a job for @Oldephart!
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

10-13-2014, 05:19 PM,
Some of those third party "plug'n'play" aren't as plug and play as they're supposed to be.

LED signals flashing rapidly is called "hyper flashing" and it's normal if you replace a signal with an LED (it doesn't happen if you just add LEDs without removing any of the incandescent signals). Hyper flashing can be fixed by replacing the flasher relay with one designed for LEDs, or by adding load resistors so the flasher thinks the incandescent bulbs are still in the system.

Load resistors get hot, and replacement flashers typically make your self-cancelling signals stop cancelling.

Brake light sounds like a wire got broken or disconnected somewhere.

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
10-13-2014, 06:10 PM,
@Keith just couldn't help myself as soon as I saw your post this is the image of oldephart that popped into my head.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

10-13-2014, 06:12 PM,
hah @Kimsnot pretty much what was intended.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

10-13-2014, 07:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-13-2014, 07:19 PM by OldePhart.)
(10-13-2014, 06:10 PM)Kimsnot Wrote: @Keith just couldn't help myself as soon as I saw your post this is the image of oldephart that popped into my head.

Heh, heh. But, I'm a lot more handsome than that guy and I taught him everything he knows when I was his personal trainer... Wink

John

Oh, and let's not forget that my only faults are my excessive modesty and shy, reclusive personality...

Oh, and @Snaykbyte knows that Hap Shaughnessy and I are the only real heroes left in the world...
10-13-2014, 07:39 PM,
i keep wondering why the queen @Snaykbyte is not longer active only on rare occasion. she took her long down under excursion then pfffft.

10-13-2014, 08:20 PM,
I heard Washington was invaded by Canadians.

KimSnot aka Pasti-dip Freak

Ride: "Gracie" 2007 Road Star 1700
2014 President STAR Chapter 224, El Cajon, CA
10-13-2014, 10:15 PM,
(10-13-2014, 07:39 PM)Keith Wrote: i keep wondering why the queen @Snaykbyte is not longer active only on rare occasion. she took her long down under excursion then pfffft.
Well...everybody knows @Snaykbyte is one of those fair weather riders and lives up there in arctic territory so we probably won't hear from her 'til next July... :)

(heh, heh, if that don't get a response nothing will)

John
11-10-2014, 01:40 AM,
(10-13-2014, 10:15 PM)OldePhart Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 07:39 PM)Keith Wrote: i keep wondering why the queen @Snaykbyte is not longer active only on rare occasion. she took her long down under excursion then pfffft.
Well...everybody knows @Snaykbyte is one of those fair weather riders and lives up there in arctic territory so we probably won't hear from her 'til next July... :)

John
ARCTIC!? I live in the freaking DESERT of southeastern Washington. Don't be a boob American. Look up Tri-Cities, Washington.
That's spelled T-R-I-C-I-T-I-E-S.
Work it out.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
11-10-2014, 11:37 AM,
(11-10-2014, 01:40 AM)SnaykByte Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 10:15 PM)OldePhart Wrote:

John
ARCTIC!? I live in the freaking DESERT of southeastern Washington. Don't be a boob American. Look up Tri-Cities, Washington.
That's spelled T-R-I-C-I-T-I-E-S.
Work it out.
Average high temperature from Nov - Feb about 45 degrees - that's near enough arctic blast for me... Biggrin
11-10-2014, 07:40 PM,
Ugh, I'd kill for an average of 45 for nov-feb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-10-2014, 08:03 PM,
yeah i love how they say average, that pulls from the 20's and the 95+ we have very few days in the 70's would love that, did today for a midday run even with gusty winds breaking tree limbs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LED Stop/Tail Light w/Modulator gman1951 2 290 10-11-2018, 01:53 PM
Last Post: gman1951
  Brake Light Lens ET_Geckoe 13 4,234 06-20-2015, 01:11 PM
Last Post: ET_Geckoe
  Turn signal light bulb ET_Geckoe 14 13,620 06-29-2013, 02:20 AM
Last Post: ET_Geckoe
  Saddle bag issue Dlucky07vstar1100 0 1,567 05-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Dlucky07vstar1100