Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10-30-2014, 09:13 AM,
Shock Adjustment?
ok all the info that i can find says that the shock has numbered sequence to adjust the firmness on it, the shock that i got for replacement does not have any numbers. has all the holes for the spanner to attach and on top of that area is a stair case with it currently at the 2nd from the top stair. so is the firmest or softest setting?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

10-30-2014, 09:39 AM,
RE: Shock Adjustment?
Looks like as you "climb the stair" it compresses the spring more so I would say that the top of the stair is the firmest setting, the bottom the softest.

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
10-30-2014, 11:00 AM,
wow so prior owner had it almost as hard as would get, think i will back it off 1-2 steps with the addition of my progressive spring.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

10-30-2014, 01:08 PM,
My 650 would bottom even going gently over speed bumps until I adjusted the spring a couple of notches higher from the factory setting (4). I don't think it has bottomed since, even when I've hit a couple of decent pot holes.

John
10-30-2014, 01:29 PM,
Shock Adjustment?
(10-30-2014, 09:39 AM)OldePhart Wrote: Looks like as you "climb the stair" it compresses the spring more so I would say that the top of the stair is the firmest setting, the bottom the softest.

John

The manual agrees
[Image: 197faf52282a7d7a70a96796871beaa0.jpg]
[Image: 1e57a60eeba6a394143f48faa141bdb8.jpg]
10-30-2014, 01:34 PM,
hmmm, @OldePhart @Maustarman but if i follow the turning directions, it says direction A spring load is increased but that would take it down the stairs?

10-30-2014, 01:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-30-2014, 01:43 PM by Maustarman.)
Shock Adjustment?
Hmmm confused here ;(

Looking at the setting in your picture...yes, it seems the shock is almost at its hardest point= #6
10-30-2014, 02:02 PM,
just the 2nd page of the manual telling which way to turn says turn direction A which is counter clockwise which in the case of my shock would bring it down the stairs to firm up the ride according to what Direction A states.

well she is up on the lift, seat off side panels off, dog bone loosened up for access and shock bolts soaking in wd.

10-30-2014, 02:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-30-2014, 02:47 PM by OldePhart.)
That diagram doesn't show the actual construction of the factory shock, though. And, what it does show is misleading; the numbers don't wrap all the way around the shock like they do in that diagram (i.e. 1 is next to 7 in the diagram but, at least on my 650, the steps go about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way around.

It's possible that the factory shock has the steps going in the opposite direction.

John

(10-30-2014, 02:43 PM)OldePhart Wrote: That diagram doesn't show the actual construction of the factory shock, though. And, what it does show is misleading; the numbers don't wrap all the way around the shock like they do in that diagram (i.e. 1 is next to 7 in the diagram but, at least on my 650, the steps go about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way around.

It's possible that the factory shock has the steps going in the opposite direction.

John
yeah...from what it does show it looks like the steps are on the bottom of the part that turns on the factory shock, vs on top of the part that turns on your shock.

Bottom line is that the more preload you put on the spring the stiffer the suspension will be. On your shock climbing the ladder compresses (preloads) the spring more.

John
10-30-2014, 03:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-30-2014, 04:17 PM by Keith.)
well dang this is a job getting the thing off, wow. then of course my wife scheduled a supper with the folks, great, got to spend the day playing taxi for them yesterday when was going to do it yesterday too. have everything off cept that fracking top shock bolt, cannot even see the booger, got the nut off, bolt is binding and have to drill out the battery box to take the bolt out through that way or remove the battery box (thats not a easy feat either).

hell yeah! got the box loose enough to see the entire shock, that thing is at the shop, pick up in the morning, told him don't are bout the told shock or the spring on the new shock, just want my old spring on the new shock end case scenario. yeah! made the diff being able to eyeball it! ended up bring it out the side with the battery box area. always said if i can see it i can do it as far as fixing things.

10-30-2014, 06:12 PM,
Sometimes I miss the old days when things were easy to work on...then I remember they weren't! :rofl:

John
10-30-2014, 06:32 PM,
DAMN @OldePhart ! wife worked overtime told me to get the correct turn signal for the bike, yep fender had been altered for the mount already, so I found one and ordered it, they stuffed the package with a older front turn signal mount, can in no way be used for mine, bottom of package was a jagged cut and the rest was stapled shut, they better make right, thats a lot of money for us now!

10-31-2014, 05:18 AM,
if i remember right im pretty sure i turned the shock wrench clockwise when i tightened mine.
LoLrcycle rider Cool
10-31-2014, 09:35 AM,
@OldePhart hah these guys smoking good stuff up in PA, they said return it so they can send back to the manufacturer as they had packaged it incorrectly. good one, manufacturer cut it open and stapled it in areas not done by factory. so i get to pay return shipping, great.

10-31-2014, 04:08 PM,
wow, i took it 2 notches down the stairs, glad i did if up is firmer, wow so this is how a shock feels n still felt pretty stiff, guess have had no shock for quite a while, thanks @Maustarman for the hookup.