Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11-17-2014, 08:44 PM,
Chev Engine Code
ok, so light on her car, running fine bug of course she is freaking!

code P0121 Throttle Position Sensor

is this something that i just replace the sensor and done?
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

11-17-2014, 09:32 PM,
RE: Chev Engine Code
(11-17-2014, 08:44 PM)Keith Wrote: ok, so light on her car, running fine bug of course she is freaking!

code P0121 Throttle Position Sensor

is this something that i just replace the sensor and done?
Usually yes. It will take a while for the light to go off, but so long as there is only one code you should be good.
11-17-2014, 11:33 PM,
you can clear the code with your reader once you put the new sensor. did you do the basics?
'07 Double One Hundred Custom Black Cherry w/Ghost flames
Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes
Barons ORK
Disabled AIS
Cobra Carb Needles
Every cage is trying to kill you so always remember, Grip it and Rip it!!!

11-18-2014, 12:42 AM,
I would check the connections and then clear the code and see if it comes back. Sometimes you get a glitch in one of the sensors and it's only a temporary problem. If that is the case it will usually clear itself after several trips but if you have a reader it's easier just to clear the code.

My wife's old Toyota would consistently throw a code for a bad O2 sensor every time I drove it. When my wife or daughter drove it it never threw codes. Basically, it was reading lean when I was driving it because I'm a bit quicker on the throttle than they were. Probably a combination of an ancient fuel pump and a dirty fuel filter, rather than actually being an O2 sensor.

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
11-18-2014, 09:58 AM,
yeah it went off for a day then came back on during her trip home. i have a reader for my truck, not sure it will work on her car as it also is a diesel programmer.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

11-18-2014, 11:25 AM,
well dang it, cannot find a throttle position sensor online for a 07 malibu L4, called up local chev ouch, says is at the pedal and $121, not part of the throttle body like others.

11-18-2014, 02:55 PM,
You might try cleaning it with some spray "pot cleaner" or "tuner cleaner" from radio shack. The worst you can do is ruin it. Of course, if it's sealed you can't get the cleaner to it. Most TPS units are simple potentiometers (some are inductive or optical, but not many).

John
11-18-2014, 03:06 PM,
found the pedal one at the zone for 60, then found a article saying floor mat could mess it up also, then found another reference to a tps being built in to the throttle body so an entire throttle body would be required, man. yep told her to take the floor mat out 1st for the ride home tonite.

11-18-2014, 07:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-18-2014, 07:04 PM by Mr RCOM.)
hey if you look at advance auto's site and find one you want you can put it in the shopping cart and use the Promo code TRT30. it'll give you 30% off. there is another code for 50$ off 125$ too.

and you can select to pick it up at a local store or ship to home
LoLrcycle rider Cool
11-18-2014, 09:11 PM,
(11-18-2014, 03:06 PM)Keith Wrote: found the pedal one at the zone for 60, then found a article saying floor mat could mess it up also, then found another reference to a tps being built in to the throttle body so an entire throttle body would be required, man. yep told her to take the floor mat out 1st for the ride home tonite.

The reference to it being built into the throttle body doesn't sound right. I've seen GM do some squirrely things but I don't think even they would do something that crazy. That might be a case of somebody not being able to find the TFS because it was on the pedal so they assumed it must be built in...sometime's there is as much disinformation on the internet as information. LOL

If you can find it and it's not a sealed unit there is a real good chance that you can clean it with spray cleaner for electronics and it might be fine - especially if it's down around the pedals where dirt from our feetses gets into everything.

Car (and motorcycle) companies ought to be hung for piracy. When they thought the problem with my 650 was the TPS I checked on the price of the part (it was covered under warranty but I was curious). I don't remember exactly how much it was but it was something like 80 dollars if I remember right. I've seen the darn thing and it's basically a cheap (probably chinese) potentiometer with a bracket and shaft fitting to fit the carb - it probably costs Yamaha less than a dollar.

John
11-19-2014, 10:01 AM,
well car has run good the entire time, light went off again yesterday with no changes.

you guys missed out on a sight to behold yesterday, well was time to go to my interview, suit and tie jumped in the truck, battery tanked for good this time, great its cold and in a suit. i run through the house, throw on the suit jacket that was going to hang in the truck, grab the half helmet, sunglasses and gloves off the counter and on the bike i went, about halfway through the interview could feel my legs and face again. $200 in new batteries to install a bit later today then off to a different interview.

11-19-2014, 10:54 AM,
Good luck with the interviews. Riding the bike in the cold may be a plus - they might admire your fortitude. :) I don't know if you remember that huge ice storm we had back in Feb. of '94 (I think it was 94). Anyway, there was a half inch of ice on everything from west Fort Worth eastward. All the roads blocked by accidents and stalled traffic, etc. I lived in Weatherford at the time and was going for an interview near the ball park in Arlington. To this day I think I probably got that job mostly because I made it to the interview. I knew there would be nobody there to interview me but I can be stubborn that way... :) There were maybe five people (out of a few hundred) in the building and they were only there because they lived within a few blocks.

As expected the people who were going to interview me weren't there but one of the HR persons was and we had a good laugh and I left with an appointment for an interview later in the week.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to fix Error code 46 that indicates waste toner level? MarthaStewart 0 55 10-10-2018, 04:14 AM
Last Post: MarthaStewart
  oil on bottom off engine firstbike_1100classic 1 236 07-24-2018, 11:50 PM
Last Post: firstbike_1100classic
  Intermittent Noise-Engine-Right Side csonni 13 5,535 08-27-2016, 06:13 AM
Last Post: csonni
  1999 650 engine bogs in 5th gear street1771 7 5,559 07-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Last Post: street1771
  Discount code for brakes and other parts! Mr RCOM 0 961 03-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Mr RCOM
  Has anyone here replaced a 1100 engine dyeaton1 0 835 11-14-2012, 01:56 AM
Last Post: dyeaton1