Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12-01-2014, 12:46 AM,
Thinking Seasonally On Oil?
Hi again, just throwing some thoughts I'd had and haven't seen it anywhere else.

I'm the kind of guy who likes to keep an ample supply of fluids and parts for anything I work on. So, I've started digging for prices and good/better/bests for everything for my new(to me) XVS650A. One point of curiosity I found is with Engine Oil. I see that many people on the forum recommend using 20W50, which is neither the 10W30 or 20W40 that is Manf recommended. I currently live in Las Vegas, and came from the Midwest so winter here is still riding weather for me, and I plan to do so all 12 months. I'd like to put away something that is viable for all times of year here, which can range between 25-115F. Can I go in-between the Yamaha ratings and use 10W40? Can 20W50 handle that bitter cold? Wont 20W50 increase the amount of wear from cold starts?

These sorts of things I could keep wondering about, but as I'm getting ready to practically rebuild my bike this month (Oil/Filter done, next is Carburetor, fork seals, rear suspension upgrade, forward controls changes) it helps to know how to be my own fully stocked garage.

Thanks!
12-01-2014, 11:00 AM,
RE: Thinking Seasonally On Oil?
hell i use Shell Rotella T6 from wally world as well as available many other places, pure synthetic and much thinner, ride almost year round in Dallas in pretty much those same temps for years now on my 1100.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

12-01-2014, 11:20 AM,
Just FYI 20W50 is not going to give you any more wear from cold starts than 20W40 would - the cold viscosity is the same for both.

Bottom line...if you ride enough to change oil pretty frequently then I would run the 20W50 in the hottest months where you are and follow the mfr recommendations the rest of the year. If you don't ride enough to change the oil more than a couple of times a year then I'd probably go with the 20W40 year round.

Remember that these Star engines are not real high tech. Manufacturing tolerances and metallurgy are basically at 1970's levels.

The one thing you don't want to do is use any of the various oils or additives that are advertised as "friction reducing" or improving gas mileage, etc. The clutch is bathed in the motor oil and these "modern" oils will ruin the clutch.

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
12-01-2014, 07:23 PM,
yeah, you do want to go with a lower thus thinner 1st number for the winter, provides better start up lube, thus what @OldePhart was talking about on the 20 numbers being a thicker. the rotella that I have been running for years is a 5-40 no issues at all and my bud on a 919 rocket has been using it too, reports of even goldwings using it for well over 100k, sweet thing is use it in my truck also. thing being a diesel oil it has a much higher shear to it cause that diesel engine is working that oil, so it has to provide much better lubrication even with 14 quarts, yep hurts the pocket when time to change it in the big girl.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

12-02-2014, 05:12 AM,
Thinking Seasonally On Oil?
Cool, so I'll ride out the AMSOil 10w30 I just put in and next time round I'll have a boat load of 20W50 sitting tight. Good to know these engines won't be too picky too. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
03-18-2015, 05:12 PM,
I also use the 5w40 Shell T6 Rotella full synth oil. I live in Upstate NY and riding temps range from 40-90. Yea like someone said avoid the Energy Conserving oils... I think it's on the circular/seal looking thing on the back of the bottle.