Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12-30-2014, 09:23 PM,
Running wires through taillight stalks
I plan to switch my 650 Classic taillight bulbs to the Custom Dynamics Dynamic Cluster LEDs for turn/brake/and run lights on the turn signal stalks. Amber turn signals are socket mounted but need to feed brake/run wires up to the junction behind the license plate where they will be spliced in. Is there an easy way to feed the wires from the buckets through the tubes (my old coathanger method will not work here) or will I need to drill a hole in the buckets and run the wires outside behind the stalks?
2nd question - where is a good place to mount a brake light modulator? I don't think there is room behind the license plate.

Wiring concepts are challenging.
2007 V-Star Classic
Hard-Krome Straights, Mustang seat and backrest, 4" risers,
4" control extensions, LED headlamp, LED tail/brake light board, LED rear running light/brake/turn signals, LED front running lights/turn signals, brake light modulator, Stebel air horn, tank bra, EasyBrackets

12-31-2014, 09:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-31-2014, 10:03 AM by Kimsnot.)
Running wires through taillight stalks
Don't know if it helps but to thread wires I use a Drawstring threader. Cuts down on my use of colorful language. If your other half sews she will know what I'm talking about. here's a picture -they are strong and flexible. feed in from opposite end and then thread wires thru the tip and pull thru. I usually wrap tip of wire to threader with thin tape to keep end from getting caught on other wires and bends.

KimSnot aka Pasti-dip Freak

Ride: "Gracie" 2007 Road Star 1700. 2014/2015 President STAR Chapter 224, El Cajon, CA
12-31-2014, 10:08 AM,
RE: Running wires through taillight stalks
I mounted my modulator under the seat - stuck to the plastic "bulkhead" that the battery and wiring are mounted to. The wiring for the rear lights is there, anyway, so it's an easy point to tie in. On the custom, at least, the area behind the taillight is extremely tight and somewhat of a mess to work on...I don't know for sure but I suspect that the classic might be worse in that regard.

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
12-31-2014, 04:15 PM,
KimSnot - no other half but I know where the sewing store is - thanks for the Drawstring tip.

OldePhart - it's definitely tight behind the license plate and will be more so with the splices from the taillights. Under the seat looks like the best bet. Thanks!
(12-31-2014, 09:59 AM)Kimsnot Wrote: Don't know if it helps but to thread wires I use a Drawstring threader. Cuts down on my use of colorful language. If your other half sews she will know what I'm talking about. here's a picture -they are strong and flexible. feed in from opposite end and then thread wires thru the tip and pull thru. I usually wrap tip of wire to threader with thin tape to keep end from getting caught on other wires and bends.

KimSnot aka Pasti-dip Freak

Ride: "Gracie" 2007 Road Star 1700. 2014/2015 President STAR Chapter 224, El Cajon, CA
2007 V-Star Classic
Hard-Krome Straights, Mustang seat and backrest, 4" risers,
4" control extensions, LED headlamp, LED tail/brake light board, LED rear running light/brake/turn signals, LED front running lights/turn signals, brake light modulator, Stebel air horn, tank bra, EasyBrackets

02-01-2015, 07:42 PM,
Assuming there is a hole all the way thru the stalk, use a plastic zip tie, feed it thru and tape a strip to the end. pull the string thru. tie/ tape the string and wire together, then carefully/gently draw the wire thru the stalk. Hope this helps, I've done this kind of thing many times, working on cars,trucks, boats. Try to make the joints between the string and wire as small as you can so it doesn't get hung up inside. I've had to start over many times, so if at first you don't succeed,try,try again. Or go have another beer, lol

Good luck
VStarCowboy aka Don

2001 VStar 1100AN - my bastard bike with loads of chrome.
Mustang seats, Mustang tank bra, Cobra pipes w/o baffles, DynaTek 3000,Engine guard, Hiway pegs,Metzeler 888's, SlipStreamer Windshield, 3.5" Chrome billet risers, Leather handgrip fringes.
02-01-2015, 11:15 PM,
Glue or tie a bit torn from a cotton ball to the end of a piece of fishing line. Tie/tape/glue the other end of the fishing line to the wires that need to be pulled. Blow the cotton ball end through with compressed air and then use the fishing line to pull the wires through. Fishing line is slick and then so it doesn't bind and the bit of cotton ball (sized to the hole) will blow through pretty easily. The fishing line is also strong so as long as your connection to the wires is good it can pull even through a fairly snug fit.
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replacement Light running/driving outdoor 0 1,156 03-22-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: outdoor