Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
03-24-2015, 11:54 AM,
oil leak
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and have been riding for about 9 months after getting my license in Nov 13 (at 65 yrs old). I changed the oil and filter on my v star 650 in May '14 and rode it from April 14 to November 14 with no visible leaks. In December I went to start it and charge the battery and noticed a small leak coming from oil pan?? I cleaned it and again it leaked and has continued to do so a drop at a time. I checked filter area and it's clean. It does not appear to be coming from oil drain plug but very close to it. My friend told me that I may not have put a washer on the drain bolt and I really don't even remember a washer on the bolt. Any ideas? I wanted to try fixing myself before I took it to a mechanic. Anxious to get started after a long snowy winter here in NJ. Huh
03-24-2015, 12:07 PM,
RE: oil leak
One possibility is the oil drain plug washer as your friend said. I think they replace those periodically? Reusing them can work but they can also leak as I understand it any way. The onther thing that happens I have heard is people leave the old one on AND put on the new one. Not saying you did that just something to be careful of.... Good Luck.
03-24-2015, 07:02 PM,
Bikes don't leak oil. They mark their territory.

Word of caution. The washer is not an off the shelf washer (it's a crush gasket style). It's made for sealing the drain plug screw. I'm cheap and don't change them out each oil change, but I do keep a spare in case it leaks.

Your leak may be elsewhere. I just wanted to throw in my two cents.
03-24-2015, 09:52 PM,
oil leak
@jerseynick are you sure your on a V Star not a Harley. It's not common for stars to mark their territory.

Kimberly aka Plasti-Dip Freak
Gracie 2007 RoadStar 1700
2015 STAR Chapter 224 President, El Cajon CA
03-25-2015, 01:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-25-2015, 01:25 PM by kenstogie.)
(03-24-2015, 07:02 PM)sparkn Wrote: Bikes don't leak oil. They mark their territory.

Word of caution. The washer is not an off the shelf washer (it's a crush gasket style). It's made for sealing the drain plug screw. I'm cheap and don't change them out each oil change, but I do keep a spare in case it leaks.

What he said also. It's no fun to leak oil not to mention the messiness of it.... but please also make sure you check your oil level to prevent running a dry motor...
03-25-2015, 03:15 PM,
If somebody has installed the drain plug without a crush washer chances are decent that the bolt head has scored the case...then installing a crush washer later might not be enough to seal.

I've heard of guys getting high temp silicon o-rings of the appropriate size and using them under the bolt head. I haven't tried it myself but the theory is good, since the drain plug is not under pressure. You can probably find an o-ring of the appropriate size at most hardware/auto parts/or hydraulic service shops.

Whatever you do don't over-torque the drain plug - it's surprisingly easy to do.
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
03-30-2015, 03:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-30-2015, 03:44 PM by pauli466.)
(03-25-2015, 03:15 PM)OldePhart Wrote: If somebody has installed the drain plug without a crush washer chances are decent that the bolt head has scored the case...then installing a crush washer later might not be enough to seal.

I've heard of guys getting high temp silicon o-rings of the appropriate size and using them under the bolt head. I haven't tried it myself but the theory is good, since the drain plug is not under pressure. You can probably find an o-ring of the appropriate size at most hardware/auto parts/or hydraulic service shops.

Whatever you do don't over-torque the drain plug - it's surprisingly easy to do.
wouldn't tighting down on a o-ring squeeze it out then if you just snug it you risk it backing out. I would try using fine sand paper to remove the imperfections a file maybe? just make sure you clean up well. I wouldn't try this on the fill plug.only the drain plug. if done on the fill plug remove cover for easy clean up of filings. I bought a mini file set just for issues like this.

(03-25-2015, 01:24 PM)kenstogie Wrote:
(03-24-2015, 07:02 PM)sparkn Wrote: Bikes don't leak oil. They mark their territory.

I do the same thing keep a spare
What he said also. It's no fun to leak oil not to mention the messiness of it.... but please also make sure you check your oil level to prevent running a dry motor...
03-30-2015, 04:12 PM,
It's possible but those orange high-temp silicon o-rings are pretty strong - I think as long as you had a flat washer between the bolt head and the o-ring it would probably work.
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
03-31-2015, 01:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2015, 01:33 PM by pauli466.)
(03-24-2015, 11:54 AM)jerseynick Wrote: Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and have been riding for about 9 months after getting my license in Nov 13 (at 65 yrs old). I changed the oil and filter on my v star 650 in May '14 and rode it from April 14 to November 14 with no visible leaks. In December I went to start it and charge the battery and noticed a small leak coming from oil pan?? I cleaned it and again it leaked and has continued to do so a drop at a time. I checked filter area and it's clean. It does not appear to be coming from oil drain plug but very close to it. My friend told me that I may not have put a washer on the drain bolt and I really don't even remember a washer on the bolt. Any ideas? I wanted to try fixing myself before I took it to a mechanic. Anxious to get started after a long snowy winter here in NJ. Huh
check neutral switch under transmission cover .they all leak eventualy, crack too, left cover 4 screws on gromets others are for show. see the torx screws that's the neutral switch look close at the alt.wires also. you didn't see the washer cause it was crushed to the drain bolt. but I bet it was there.
03-26-2016, 04:52 PM,
(03-24-2015, 09:52 PM)Kimsnot Wrote: @jerseynick are you sure your on a V Star not a Harley. It's not common for stars to mark their territory.

Kimberly aka Plasti-Dip Freak
Gracie 2007 RoadStar 1700
2015 STAR Chapter 224 President, El Cajon CA
oh hell Kim, my VStar 1100 thinks it's a Harley Softtail, pisses everywhere I park it, lol
VStarCowboy aka Don

2001 VStar 1100AN - my bastard bike with loads of chrome.
Mustang seats, Mustang tank bra, Cobra pipes w/o baffles, DynaTek 3000,Engine guard, Hiway pegs,Metzeler 888's, SlipStreamer Windshield, 3.5" Chrome billet risers, Leather handgrip fringes.
03-26-2016, 09:03 PM,
don't over tighten the new neutral switch and it won't crack like the old one.
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil Leak. How to choose part to change? Mediator 0 229 06-06-2017, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mediator
  Oil Cap Leak Keith 0 694 08-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Keith