Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
04-16-2015, 04:22 PM,
Windshield help
I had the stock Tourer windshield on the 1300 and the buffeting was so bad I literally couldn't ride over 40mph so I took it off. I got a screaming deal on a 19 inch CeeBailey with bucks lowers so I tried again. There is minimal buffeting up to 35-40mph and then it gets worse quickly. I can't get over 65 due to the lack of vision. I moved lowers from one angle to the other and virtually no change. I don't really like riding with the windshield, but I want it for longer trips and cold weather. I'm 6'2" if that helps. I don't know where to go next.
Any help / suggestions / advice greatly appreciated.
04-16-2015, 04:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2015, 04:55 PM by OldePhart.)
RE: Windshield help
Short windshields can be worse than none, in my limited experience. First windshield I got with my bat wing was too low...dumped all the air right at the top of my chest/bottom of the helmet...worst place for it as the buffeting clobbers your head and makes for lots of helmet noise. I replaced that windshield with one two or three inches taller and wouldn't be without it. I'm only 5'9", have the tallest of the "spoiler" style wind shields for the Memphis Shades bat wing now, and it is just barely tall enough...in fact I wish they made one about 1 to 2" taller.

At 6'2 you are probably going to need the tallest windshield you can find and it still might not be enough.

Oh...one other thing...if you're not already wearing a full-face helmet try that...it can help a lot on long freeway-speed rides. I use an open-face around town but on longer highway rides I grab the Shoei Qwest; it fits better, is quieter, and provides better protection.
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
04-16-2015, 05:45 PM,
@OldePhart I can try riding with the full face (I got it for cold weather). I really don't want to spend the money for a new wind shield if I don't have to...
Thanks for the feedback!!
04-16-2015, 11:07 PM,
Where and how is the wind hitting you?
If is mostly you helmet and chest, you probably need a taller shield.
If its your helmet, chest and shoulders/upper arms; might need a taller, wider shield.
If it seems to be coming around your tank and hitting mostly the chest; adjust or get wider lowers.

I know Memphis Shades has add-on wings for thier windshields. I think Bailey's does as well.

If its still stumping you on where or how is the wind getting to you, take some masking tape and some short pieces of yarn ( 4"- 6").
I really can't go into much detail. But you will need to wind test your setup
Attach a few on each side and top of your tank. Also a few on the backside of the windshield, just above the bar risers. then take a short ride and notice how the yarn is moving.

Calm or slight movement, little or no turbulence.
Held flat against the surface, smooth wind flow.
Erractic movement, high turbulance.
Turbulance = buffetting

I'm suspecting you are getting "blow through" from around the headlight and over the lowers.
Believe it or not, a windshield bag and some fine adjustment might be all you need to solve this.
04-16-2015, 11:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2015, 11:34 PM by Elk.)
It seems to be coming from underneath the lowers. Like the need to longer. I can certainly stuff somthing in the gap above the headlight and steal something like yarn from the wife. I'm not getting any undo pressure on my chest or shoulders, it's just my head taking a beating.

I'll give it a try!
04-16-2015, 11:42 PM,
check cee baileys or memphis shades for the windshield extention. If its only your helmet, the shield needs to be taller
04-17-2015, 10:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2015, 10:56 AM by pauli466.)
(04-16-2015, 04:22 PM)Elk Wrote: I had the stock Tourer windshield on the 1300 and the buffeting was so bad I literally couldn't ride over 40mph so I took it off. I got a screaming deal on a 19 inch CeeBailey with bucks lowers so I tried again. There is minimal buffeting up to 35-40mph and then it gets worse quickly. I can't get over 65 due to the lack of vision. I moved lowers from one angle to the other and virtually no change. I don't really like riding with the windshield, but I want it for longer trips and cold weather. I'm 6'2" if that helps. I don't know where to go next.
windshields should never be higher than your nose with a slight rearward tilt. there not for looking through.

(04-16-2015, 04:22 PM)Elk Wrote: I had the stock Tourer windshield on the 1300 and the buffeting was so bad I literally couldn't ride over 40mph so I took it off. I got a screaming deal on a 19 inch CeeBailey with bucks lowers so I tried again. There is minimal buffeting up to 35-40mph and then it gets worse quickly. I can't get over 65 due to the lack of vision. I moved lowers from one angle to the other and virtually no change. I don't really like riding with the windshield, but I want it for longer trips and cold weather. I'm 6'2" if that helps. I don't know where to go next.
if your looking through a motorcycle windshield it to high

if you have to look through it its to tall
04-17-2015, 11:17 AM,
Hey Elk, I've got the stock V Star windshield that allows you to mount it lower or higher by about 2 inches. The day I rode mine home I thought I was going to lose my helmet. The person who owned it before me was obviously shorter, I moved it up and voila.. Problem solved. Being that you are 6'2" you just might need one a bit taller!
04-17-2015, 11:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2015, 11:28 AM by Elk.)
(04-17-2015, 10:50 AM)pauli466 Wrote:
windshields should never be higher than your nose with a slight rearward tilt. there not for looking through.

if your looking through a motorcycle windshield it to high

if you have to look through it its to tall
Definitely not looking through the windshield.

(04-17-2015, 11:17 AM)Canucklehead Wrote: Hey Elk, I've got the stock V Star windshield that allows you to mount it lower or higher by about 2 inches. The day I rode mine home I thought I was going to lose my helmet. The person who owned it before me was obviously shorter, I moved it up and voila.. Problem solved. Being that you are 6'2" you just might need one a bit taller!
I don't see any way to adjust mine. It's an 07 so maybe they changed the mounting on the newer modes?
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windshield mount - lower triple tree hex bolts (turn signal) chesapeake301 0 516 06-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: chesapeake301
  Windshield Lowers causing problem TimandSally 1 1,129 02-20-2017, 03:02 AM
Last Post: jmck
  Windshield size Question on 2014 V-Star 950 Tourer TimandSally 5 1,467 09-25-2016, 02:12 AM
Last Post: TimandSally
  Silverado windshield Blackacre1066 1 953 06-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Last Post: pauli466
Emoticon_unhappy Yamaha "Genuine" Star windshield mount - broken! jc_08_vstar_classic 18 3,156 04-29-2016, 08:07 PM
Last Post: pauli466
  Memphis Shades or Yamaha windshield crazydog 5 1,853 06-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Keith
  Memphis Shades or Yamaha windshield crazydog 0 685 06-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Last Post: crazydog
  Help with windshield install ddb 0 792 06-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Last Post: ddb
  Cleaning windshield away from home Kimsnot 7 2,087 11-13-2014, 07:17 AM
Last Post: ralph21
  Windshield for Road Star Kimsnot 23 5,420 10-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Last Post: bean07