Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
04-19-2015, 04:47 AM,
Best way to get the drain bolt off?
So...as a budding mechanic I have been totally stymied by the oil drain bolt. I can't get it off. It's a new bolt since the dealership did the last oil change, so it's not rust or anything. It's just...really tight. I can't seem to get good purchase on the bolt with the 17 mm wrench that came with the bike: if I brace myself on the rear fork and pull the bolt seems to be threatening to round off sooner than turn. My sockets won't fit in there either. A mechanic friend said the owner's toolkit is garbage for any serious jobs and I should spring for some craftsman wrenches or something. But what works for folks here? Or am I just a weenie?
04-19-2015, 08:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2015, 08:49 AM by pauli466.)
RE: Best way to get the drain bolt off?
(04-19-2015, 04:47 AM)Crispy Wrote: So...as a budding mechanic I have been totally stymied by the oil drain bolt. I can't get it off. It's a new bolt since the dealership did the last oil change, so it's not rust or anything. It's just...really tight. I can't seem to get good purchase on the bolt with the 17 mm wrench that came with the bike: if I brace myself on the rear fork and pull the bolt seems to be threatening to round off sooner than turn. My sockets won't fit in there either. A mechanic friend said the owner's toolkit is garbage for any serious jobs and I should spring for some craftsman wrenches or something. But what works for folks here? Or am I just a weenie?
your going need a box wrench the tool bag wrench will just round it off. get a nice long box wrench for good leverage. agood one should be around 6 to 8 dollars. better yet get a combination wrench set from 8mm to 19mm it will cover every hex bolt on the bike. around 30$ except maybe the fork caps 22mm
04-19-2015, 01:45 PM,
yeah just get a set a MM wrenches from Sears or Home Depot, you will need them! but if like me, go hit up a few pawn shops and piece together a set for cheaper if don't mind digging!
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

04-19-2015, 03:59 PM,
I've heard that beer is the best lubricant for sticky bolts...
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
04-19-2015, 04:07 PM,
@OldePhart and don't we normally have to swear at it some too, to get its attention and to come lose?
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne