Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
04-23-2015, 01:25 PM,
NEW TIRES?
I will ask that you forgive my ignorance over and over again. Mechanically inclined, i am not. Nor do i have much motorcycle knowledge. I guess both are big reasons why i joined this forum, now that i got that out of the way.

My 2012 VStar 1300 Tourer has approx 5700 miles with the original tires. Although the tires appear to have a good amount of meat on them, i was told they are beginning to dry-rot and i should replace them by end of season.

is Dry-rot a common occurrence, what is the cause? is it preventable. What is the typical life span of a motorcycle tire.

Lastly, should i wait to replace them or do it now?
04-23-2015, 01:28 PM,
RE: NEW TIRES?
well would say look at the date of manufacture on the tire, would say the tires are several years old and it just sat up causing the rot. car tires will do the same if not taken care of and can be dangerous as the sidewalls are breaking down, so would say go get some new metzlers or shinko tires bud, we only have 2 tires so have to trust them.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

04-23-2015, 01:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2015, 02:05 PM by OldePhart.)
Yep, tires are critical on a motorcycle - both tread and strength. Would get a second opinion on the dry rot though because the tires on a three-year-old bike really shouldn't be rotting unless they were old stock when they were put on and have been left out in really harsh weather ever since (or run under-inflated quite a lot).

What did the person who told you that they were rotted cite as evidence of dry rot? Oh...and was it someone trying to sell you tires? :)

Google "pictures dry rot tires" - if your tires are showing cracking or scaling like that shown in the images then replace them immediately. The sidewalls are absolutely critical on motorcycle tires. However, if the tire sidewalls look smooth and sound then I'd make a mental note that the person who said they were rotted is probably not the most reliable person from whom to seek advice about your bike...

Note that small chips in the treads are not usually evidence of dry rot (assuming the sidewalls are clear) but of having been ridden on rough, perhaps gravel, surfaces.

Just to clarify...if you see that cracking anywhere on the tire it should be replaced. Usually it will show up most clearly on the sidewalls, but sometimes the cracking will show in the grooves of the treads.
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
04-23-2015, 02:59 PM,
(04-23-2015, 01:42 PM)OldePhart Wrote: Yep, tires are critical on a motorcycle - both tread and strength. Would get a second opinion on the dry rot though because the tires on a three-year-old bike really shouldn't be rotting unless they were old stock when they were put on and have been left out in really harsh weather ever since (or run under-inflated quite a lot).

What did the person who told you that they were rotted cite as evidence of dry rot? Oh...and was it someone trying to sell you tires? :)

Google "pictures dry rot tires" - if your tires are showing cracking or scaling like that shown in the images then replace them immediately. The sidewalls are absolutely critical on motorcycle tires. However, if the tire sidewalls look smooth and sound then I'd make a mental note that the person who said they were rotted is probably not the most reliable person from whom to seek advice about your bike...

Note that small chips in the treads are not usually evidence of dry rot (assuming the sidewalls are clear) but of having been ridden on rough, perhaps gravel, surfaces.

Just to clarify...if you see that cracking anywhere on the tire it should be replaced. Usually it will show up most clearly on the sidewalls, but sometimes the cracking will show in the grooves of the treads.
as crazy as this will sound, for the life of my i am unsure who told me about the tires. it may have been the original owner.

if i'm not mistaken the side-walls are pretty good and the rot was pointed out in the grooves. I have to inspect further when i get home later.
04-23-2015, 03:14 PM,
(04-23-2015, 01:42 PM)OldePhart Wrote: Yep, tires are critical on a motorcycle - both tread and strength. Would get a second opinion on the dry rot though because the tires on a three-year-old bike really shouldn't be rotting unless they were old stock when they were put on and have been left out in really harsh weather ever since (or run under-inflated quite a lot).

Two of my wife's front tires on her Sportster (Dunlops) have dry-rotted while they still had pretty good tread on them. Both had recent dates on them. Shop told us some tires can come from a batch of rubber that just doesn't hold up as well and that he had seen this in other manufacturer's tires too. But typically he said it was (like others have said) from old tires or left out in the sun everyday. He also cautioned us not to use tire products like Armour-all or tire black types. I asked him about RuGlyde because my dad use to work with tires a lot & they used that for changing tires. We used it to get a natural tire black on our cars/trucks & bikes. He said that was ok & actually good for the tires. If you want to try it NAPA carries it. If you want to look at it here's the link to it:
(Ps: Like others have said, if the tires are dry rotted you want to get new ones soon as you can!)
RuGlyde Rubber Lubricant
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...0361142441
04-23-2015, 04:08 PM,
If you do need tires, I have been really happy with my Michelin commander II
04-23-2015, 04:14 PM,
Yeah, sunlight is probably the biggest factor in dry rot. It always bugs me when I see those tire shops that have big racks of tires that they wheel into the shop at night for security but then push outside in the sun all day to make room to get cars in the bays. I don't buy tires at those places...I don't care if they do think they have a fast enough turn over to make it not an issue.

If you don't keep your bike in a garage a full bike cover is a pretty good investment. I keep mine under a carport and still try to remember to cover it if I'm not expecting to ride for a couple of days...enough sun angles in under the carport in the afternoon to probably do a number on the tires.
04-23-2015, 06:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2015, 06:48 PM by pauli466.)
(04-23-2015, 01:25 PM)steve0158 Wrote: I will ask that you forgive my ignorance over and over again. Mechanically inclined, i am not. Nor do i have much motorcycle knowledge. I guess both are big reasons why i joined this forum, now that i got that out of the way.

My 2012 VStar 1300 Tourer has approx 5700 miles with the original tires. Although the tires appear to have a good amount of meat on them, i was told they are beginning to dry-rot and i should replace them by end of season.

is Dry-rot a common occurrence, what is the cause? is it preventable. What is the typical life span of a motorcycle tire.

rubbers enemy is sunlight ie ultra violet light really dries them out park in the shade when ever possible anyway hard tires last longer but have less grip.soft tires have great grip but don't last. I would sacrifice longevity for grip every time. the metzler 880s are pretty reasonable or the 888s a little harder but a higher milage tire than the 880 and are also a good buy. ride safe brother...always check the date code on a tire before you buy..very important. over 6yrs old is pushing it
04-24-2015, 09:57 AM,
(04-23-2015, 06:37 PM)pauli466 Wrote:
(04-23-2015, 01:25 PM)steve0158 Wrote: I will ask that you forgive my ignorance over and over again. Mechanically inclined, i am not. Nor do i have much motorcycle knowledge. I guess both are big reasons why i joined this forum, now that i got that out of the way.

rubbers enemy is sunlight ie ultra violet light really dries them out park in the shade when ever possible anyway hard tires last longer but have less grip.soft tires have great grip but don't last. I would sacrifice longevity for grip every time. the metzler 880s are pretty reasonable or the 888s a little harder but a higher milage tire than the 880 and are also a good buy. ride safe brother...always check the date code on a tire before you buy..very important. over 6yrs old is pushing it
There goes my exhuast and fuel commander money...lol.....

Safety first!!!
04-24-2015, 10:50 AM,
(04-24-2015, 09:57 AM)steve0158 Wrote:
(04-23-2015, 06:37 PM)pauli466 Wrote:

There goes my exhuast and fuel commander money...lol.....

Safety first!!!
Always the best plan! Not always the most fun. Wink
04-24-2015, 10:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2015, 11:02 AM by Keith.)
price them around too bud, a lot of the motorcycle dealers will be higher on their tires, so price around and even check out the good ol web, ebay, etc then of course find a shop to mount them if get the tires off the web. some jack up the fee if don't get the tires from them.

check both tires good, a lot of the time only 1 tire needs to be replaced, most times back will go before the front.

oh the shinko is cheaper than the metzeler and several of us on here have them and have been pleased with the performance of them. my buddy loves his michelin as mentioned, not sure how it compares price wise with shinko.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

04-24-2015, 06:22 PM,
did you see the links i put up on your exhaust post, hey better than stock at least and think be happier with it! @steve0158

04-24-2015, 06:30 PM,
I've been looking at the Shinkos for my first change just because in the sizes that fit my 650 they have a model that seems to have a little more aggressive tread pattern than anything I've found from other makers. The factory tires suck pond water even on smooth gravel and dirt. I can't really afford to replace tires before this trip up through the mountains but I'd like to because some of the campgrounds I plan on staying at are at the end of 20 miles of dirt Forest Service roads. They're pretty well maintained during the summer, but they still ain't pavement.
04-24-2015, 06:58 PM,
ok from all that have read and researched out, lighter bikes like the shinko good, the heavy hd have some complaints on handling, but hey same hd say metzeler is not great too, and they love dunlap, i had dunlap on my kaw police and it handled very bad, so think something to do with the weight.

04-25-2015, 11:24 AM,
NEW TIRES?
(04-24-2015, 06:58 PM)Keith Wrote: ok from all that have read and researched out, lighter bikes like the shinko good, the heavy hd have some complaints on handling, but hey same hd say metzeler is not great too, and they love dunlap, i had dunlap on my kaw police and it handled very bad, so think something to do with the weight.

You are probably on to something here: heavy bike= bad handling ;p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new tires bounce at low speeds Amygurl 2 279 04-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Amygurl
  Time for tires RichieDrago44 5 1,054 01-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Last Post: RichieDrago44
  Tires for 2012 950 Tour cynot 4 1,382 11-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Last Post: bevo1981
  Tires - DOT XXXXXX0406 Blackacre1066 2 700 10-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Last Post: Keith
  Shinko Rear Tires for 1100 [170/80/15] zag 41 8,615 09-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Last Post: indie_rocker
  DIY Seating Tires Linden 8 3,545 12-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Last Post: braunicus
  Seating Tires advice requested CAVstar8 10 3,296 10-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Last Post: Matt
  Dunlop Elite 3 tires bevo1981 0 1,301 09-25-2012, 02:39 AM
Last Post: bevo1981
  White wall tires for 2003 Vstar 1100 classic charlie79 5 5,174 08-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Last Post: fusion