Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
04-30-2015, 04:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-30-2015, 04:56 PM by pauli466.)
floorboard extensions
can anyone tell me how the brake light switch is connected when moving the floorboards up 4" on a 650 classic. i'm not seeing any thing in any of the kits to do it.
04-30-2015, 05:56 PM,
RE: floorboard extensions
If I remember right on my Custom there seemed to be some slack in the harness where the brake switch wires went into the main harness over on the left side of the frame just in front of the engine. I wasn't changing to forward controls, though; I just needed an inch of slack because the factory wiring was pulled tight enough I didn't like the strain it was under...I noticed it when the switch stopped working and I had to adjust it.

It's been over a year ago though, and I've slept once or twice since then, so I won't swear to it... ;)
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
04-30-2015, 06:25 PM,
(04-30-2015, 05:56 PM)OldePhart Wrote: If I remember right on my Custom there seemed to be some slack in the harness where the brake switch wires went into the main harness over on the left side of the frame just in front of the engine. I wasn't changing to forward controls, though; I just needed an inch of slack because the factory wiring was pulled tight enough I didn't like the strain it was under...I noticed it when the switch stopped working and I had to adjust it.

It's been over a year ago though, and I've slept once or twice since then, so I won't swear to it... ;)
the 650 differs from an 1100 as it has a mechanical rear brake. there is a little spring that pulls the plunger in the brake switch.
looking at extension kits I don't 'see where to hook that spring.
04-30-2015, 06:56 PM,
Ahhh...thought you were talking about the wiring.
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
04-30-2015, 09:09 PM,
floorboard extensions
The extensions I used came with a longer rod for the back brakes that has a place for the spring to attach in the original factory position. You shouldn't have to move the switch for your brake light.    
05-01-2015, 06:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-01-2015, 06:41 AM by pauli466.)
(04-30-2015, 09:09 PM)indie_rocker Wrote: The extensions I used came with a longer rod for the back brakes that has a place for the spring to attach in the original factory position. You shouldn't have to move the switch for your brake light.

my brakelight switch bracket is welded to the frame tube not bolted to large boss like yours. are you positive your is a stock bracket. I'm going to check if your style bracket is available. if so, I can drill and tap a hole for it.
ok , after further checking I got it figured out, my bike is a 2000 classic which came with pegs, that's why the bracket is different. see i swaped the pegs for floorboards with a guy from this forum. anyway your style bracket is available for $4.00 thanks for the photo i couldn't have figured it out without it
05-02-2015, 12:43 AM,
floorboard extensions
No problem, glad I could help! I understand the dismissal pegs... I ride an 08' 650 Custom, the first thing I did was get rid of the stupid pegs for some kuryakyn mini boards, then came the extensions.
05-02-2015, 06:18 PM,
(05-02-2015, 12:43 AM)indie_rocker Wrote: No problem, glad I could help! I understand the dismissal pegs... I ride an 08' 650 Custom, the first thing I did was get rid of the stupid pegs for some kuryakyn mini boards, then came the extensions.
I ordered an oem bracket the idiot who welded the broken one put silicone in the hole where it bolted to then painted it. what a hack job it was. when I put the new bracket in it will be at the proper angle for the extensions.
05-02-2015, 06:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2015, 06:40 PM by sbzro870.)
(05-02-2015, 06:18 PM)pauli466 Wrote:
(05-02-2015, 12:43 AM)indie_rocker Wrote: No problem, glad I could help! I understand the dismissal pegs... I ride an 08' 650 Custom, the first thing I did was get rid of the stupid pegs for some kuryakyn mini boards, then came the extensions.
I ordered an oem bracket the idiot who welded the broken one put silicone in the hole where it bolted to then painted it. what a hack job it was. when I put the new bracket in it will be at the proper angle for the extensions.
Sorry to hear ur having problems with the floors. The pegs u swapped with me are great. I put the mounts on bought some harley pegs to match the grips and had to make some adjustments but all in all everything worked out great on my end. 2 things I might have to modify tho.1- change the postion of the shifter on the spline bcuz the shifter at its lowest just a tad too high for the boots I wear and when I shift up I kinda have to kick it up instead of it being right by my foot. And 2 finding a way to get just a bit of freeplay in the brake pedal as it too is just a tad too high. Good luck man.
2006 v star 650 Silverado(Modified) V&H cruizer pipes, Jetted carb, LED lights all the way around, Skunk stripe grips and pegs, The Clevver clutch lever, a boatload of chrome and super j slammed! Full of attitude.
05-02-2015, 09:52 PM,
(05-02-2015, 06:36 PM)sbzro870 Wrote:
(05-02-2015, 06:18 PM)pauli466 Wrote:
Sorry to hear ur having problems with the floors. The pegs u swapped with me are great. I put the mounts on bought some harley pegs to match the grips and had to make some adjustments but all in all everything worked out great on my end. 2 things I might have to modify tho.1- change the postion of the shifter on the spline bcuz the shifter at its lowest just a tad too high for the boots I wear and when I shift up I kinda have to kick it up instead of it being right by my foot. And 2 finding a way to get just a bit of freeplay in the brake pedal as it too is just a tad too high. Good luck man.
floorboards fit perfectly no problem there. problem lies with extending them forward IE the brake switch not lining up properly and I may have to loose the eng guards.i may just install highway pegs to the eng guards. you know the ones that swivel. pissed me off that the pegs cost twice what the extensions costs
05-31-2015, 08:18 PM,
Do you like the 4inch extention? Looks like scootmods extentions are the worth the cost? Also can engine guards still be added?

Thanks I'm new here. Have a 09 Vstar 650 classic
(04-30-2015, 09:09 PM)indie_rocker Wrote: The extensions I used came with a longer rod for the back brakes that has a place for the spring to attach in the original factory position. You shouldn't have to move the switch for your brake light.

By
05-31-2015, 09:01 PM,
(05-31-2015, 08:18 PM)jimbatt Wrote: Do you like the 4inch extention? Looks like scootmods extentions are the worth the cost? Also can engine guards still be added?

Thanks I'm new here. Have a 09 Vstar 650 classic

By
The 4" extensions are great for me, I'm about 5'10". They were worth every dollar in my opinion. I was not able to keep the engine guards though.
05-31-2015, 09:52 PM,
Figured it was going to be one or the other. May I ask which ones you bought? Easy install?
06-01-2015, 02:25 AM,
(05-31-2015, 09:52 PM)jimbatt Wrote: Figured it was going to be one or the other. May I ask which ones you bought? Easy install?
I used the ScootMods kit from eBay. From what I remember, the instructions were pretty comical and translated horribly. But the install is pretty simple and not very time consuming.
06-01-2015, 10:33 AM,
Thanks. That is the kit i have been looking at.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Highway/Crash bars with 6" extensions? danielxrxdavis 1 201 04-16-2017, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Drewxvs650
  Saddlebag extensions for a definite *Bagger look! Maustarman 5 1,299 09-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Frankenbiker
  Floorboard mount highway pegs on vstar 950 voodoo304 4 1,807 06-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Last Post: voodoo304