Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
05-05-2015, 01:57 PM,
Motorcycle stand/lift
Hey guys, my FZ1 has a center stand so I just use that to store the bike and when I need to change the oil, but I guess I need to have something to level off my V-Star for oil changes. Has anyone used something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-...61632.html

Can you use a device like that to store the bike in an Upright position as well? If it is upright I can fit both my bikes and my car in the garage, might be too tight if the Vstar has to lean on the kick stand.
05-05-2015, 03:05 PM,
RE: Motorcycle stand/lift
I don't have one but I've thought about getting one. I've considered turning my garden barn into a motorcycle garage by building a ramp up to it, then using a stand like that to store the bike (so it doesn't lean and take up so much space) and make it easy to spin it around so I can ride in/ride out without having to back it down the ramp.

So, if you get one let me know how it works out... :)
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
05-05-2015, 03:30 PM,
hi, i have a similar one that have to use for oil changes due to mine being lowered, so even with that, i have to get the front and back tires up on a piece of patio block or 2x10 for clearance for the jack. not sure on long term use on it, i think some if you get it jacked up good has a lock for the arms so not all of the pressure is on the hydraulics all the time, which am sure would not be a good thing and over time proly start failing. have only had mine jacked up for about a day at a time to do suspension work. you would have to modify the area that it sits on for long term as they are not long enough to catch both sides of the frame well enough. there are write ups on guys attaching 2x4 to the jack for this purpose.
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100k...-jack-lift

my old kaw 1000P had a center stand that i used most of the time.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

05-05-2015, 04:20 PM,
(05-05-2015, 03:30 PM)Keith Wrote: https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100k...-jack-lift

Thanks for the link! I checked out those pages and bookmarked them. i was wondering about jack stands as I have used those as extra support when i change the tires on my FZ, but I was not expecting the mounting points they used... interesting. I think I will get that motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight because the local shop charges about $80.00 for an oil change as it is and I refuse to pay that much for such a simple job.
05-05-2015, 05:03 PM,
@klurejr check your local craigslist ads thats how i got mine, guy had sold his bike, got it for $50 delivered to my door (good thing as was home sick). same for you @OldePhart check craigs for a lift.

also if set on NEW, they will a lot of the time have a 10-20% off coupon online that you could print out to save more for HF.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

05-05-2015, 05:31 PM,
Motorcycle stand/lift
I use one just like that for my bike. Works great. Used it for winter storage, set the weight on the safety bars and off the hydraulics, made it really easy to move the bike around too. Just make sure you use a ratchet strap to secure your bike to the jack, it's a little wobbly otherwise.
05-05-2015, 06:13 PM,
great info, thanks guys!
05-05-2015, 06:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015, 06:36 PM by pauli466.)
(05-05-2015, 01:57 PM)klurejr Wrote: Hey guys, my FZ1 has a center stand so I just use that to store the bike and when I need to change the oil, but I guess I need to have something to level off my V-Star for oil changes. Has anyone used something like this:

Can you use a device like that to store the bike in an Upright position as well? If it is upright I can fit both my bikes and my car in the garage, might be too tight if the Vstar has to lean on the kick stand.
that jack dosn' work well on a vstar because the engine hangs below the frame. to center the jack for perfect balance the jack rail will hit the eng not the frame. the sissor jack with adjustable slides 60.00 on e-bay is perfect for most motorcycles. free shipping too. always use blocks on both sides of the jack after you get it up. safety first. right?
05-05-2015, 06:37 PM,
@pauli466 did you see the links for the mods to make it work? with the hydraulic with the mods be much easier to work with, hey old joints you know, thats mine and the bike.

05-05-2015, 06:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015, 06:50 PM by pauli466.)
(05-05-2015, 01:57 PM)klurejr Wrote: Hey guys, my FZ1 has a center stand so I just use that to store the bike and when I need to change the oil, but I guess I need to have something to level off my V-Star for oil changes. Has anyone used something like this:

I leave mine all 4 months of winter on it just lower it down a little on 4x4s and the jack so its like its on a platform if someone bumps it it wont go over. safe is the only way to be.

(05-05-2015, 06:37 PM)Keith Wrote: @pauli466 did you see the links for the mods to make it work? with the hydraulic with the mods be much easier to work with, hey old joints you know, thats mine and the bike.
what the point if the jack wont go under unless you block up the wheels and side stand. by the time you block the wheels and stand i'll be draining oil.that sissor jack fits with bike on the side stand the jack levels it off then up it goes
05-05-2015, 06:50 PM,
If changing oil is your main objective you don't really need a stand. You can change it on the side stand just fine. The drain plug is on that side of the case, probably on purpose. I do stand mine (650) up and rock it slowly from side to side a bit while it is draining. (However, I will not do this while wearing shorts again as the 1" X 3" deep 2nd degree burn on the inside of my calf is still healing from last time. Blush )

When I rock it then it ends up taking about 1/4-quart more oil to fill it back up to the same level then when I just let it drain on the stand...I assume that rocking it is letting some oil trapped in the head drain.
05-05-2015, 06:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015, 07:12 PM by pauli466.)
(05-05-2015, 06:50 PM)OldePhart Wrote: If changing oil is your main objective you don't really need a stand. You can change it on the side stand just fine. The drain plug is on that side of the case, probably on purpose. I do stand mine (650) up and rock it slowly from side to side a bit while it is draining. (However, I will not do this while wearing shorts again as the 1" X 3" deep 2nd degree burn on the inside of my calf is still healing from last time. Blush )

When I rock it then it ends up taking about 1/4-quart more oil to fill it back up to the same level then when I just let it drain on the stand...I assume that rocking it is letting some oil trapped in the head drain.
I always put 3qts whether I do the filter or not. I don't believe a few ounces over which it will be without a filter change will matter. it might even keep the oil cooler. just my opinion. I made a dipstick from a stiff white pull tie. after the 3qts went in I put two small pieces of 2x4 under the stand on level ground almost no weight on the stand. put the pull tie down the filler hole behind the flywheel tap it on the bottom. you will know when your there. then mark it at the edge of the filler hole. for depth gauge. then mark the oil level on it. now put the small pieces of 2x4 and pull tie in your bags.you got a dip stick. no more eye strain or guessing
05-05-2015, 07:05 PM,
After rocking it while draining it takes the full three quarts to bring it to dead middle in the sight glass, even without filter change.

I too am a firm believer in "a little too much" vs "a little too little". Typically, even if you overfill a little bit too much the bike will just burn it off (and you'll think you're "burning oil") :)

John
05-05-2015, 08:28 PM,
hmmm...I dont rock or lift during oil changes, I always change filter, it always takes 3.5Q
'07 Double One Hundred Custom Black Cherry w/Ghost flames
Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes
Barons ORK
Disabled AIS
Cobra Carb Needles
Every cage is trying to kill you so always remember, Grip it and Rip it!!!

05-06-2015, 08:42 AM,
read on the 1100 if overfill can go out into the air filter via the breather hose, so not good to overfill to get it in the filter.

hmmm, thought you jacked up the bike with no blocks, now theres blocks under the stand?