Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
05-14-2015, 06:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-14-2015, 07:14 AM by tjcrichfield.)
my custom exhaust project
So, rather spending an enormous chunk of change on an exhaust system, I decided start fabricating my own( more like Jerry rigging). I'm going to try and make this a diy kind of thing, just to show what's involved in doing out yourself. The price cost is insanely cheaper. I plan on a drag pipe style exhaust wrapped with exhaust wrap for looks and for easily hiding my rigged job. I have started cutting my pipes already, I have had the mufflers off since I first got the bike, so I had that part finished early. I only have pictures of the rear header pipe so far, and is just what the pipe looks like without the heat shield. Hope this works, and hope it helps another poor soul such as myself. Enjoy.

The start. I'm doing all my cutting with a small hack saw, recommend you getting power tools our at least a regular hack saw. Trust me, it sucks using a small one. Here's the pic of the rear header pipe as it sits on the bike after the heat shield was removed. [attach]2124[/attach] [attach]2125[/attach] [attach]2126[/attach]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

05-14-2015, 07:25 AM,
RE: my custom exhaust project
I hope your project turns out.

you should source yourself a 4.5" angle grinder. i was living the hacksaw life till i found one at a tool re-sale place. I see harbor freight has theirs on sale for 17.99. its worth it lol
LoLrcycle rider Cool
05-14-2015, 07:59 AM,
I plan on at least borrowing one for the rest of the project. That mounting bracket and small attaching pipe are the only ones I'm truly worried about, they are made of a stronger steel and in an awkward location making using a hack saw nearly imposible, or at least harder than I'm willing to work at sawing.
05-14-2015, 12:02 PM,
(05-14-2015, 07:25 AM)Mr RCOM Wrote: I hope your project turns out.

you should source yourself a 4.5" angle grinder. i was living the hacksaw life till i found one at a tool re-sale place. I see harbor freight has theirs on sale for 17.99. its worth it lol
One of the top 3 tools I use (mostly back in the Jeep days, but still very useful for other stuff).
05-14-2015, 12:14 PM,
I got my first angle grinder a couple of years ago when I was building a garden barn and I saw how much use the guy who was helping me got out of his (he called it his "eraser"). I can't imagine being without one, now.
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
05-14-2015, 12:34 PM,
dang it something else to add to that list of to get.

angle grinder
aux diesel tank
locking folding bed cover
coolant filtration system
1300 fairing
ghost mounts
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

05-14-2015, 03:11 PM,
(05-14-2015, 12:34 PM)Keith Wrote: dang it something else to add to that list of to get.

angle grinder
aux diesel tank
locking folding bed cover
coolant filtration system
1300 fairing
ghost mounts
From personal experience, move the coolant filter to the top of the list... Undecided
05-15-2015, 05:46 AM,
Front header pipe is cut now. As you can see yamaha played some tricks on us and has a hidden pipe inside a pipe, not fun when cutting thinking you finally got through the pipe only to find that there is still more pipe... Stopping at the auto store for some pipe fitments today. [attach]2130[/attach]

05-15-2015, 10:43 AM,
wth is that? their version of a heat shield?
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

05-15-2015, 10:53 AM,
(05-15-2015, 10:43 AM)Keith Wrote: wth is that? their version of a heat shield?

I'm not 100%, but I thinks a type of baffle. The inner pipe has holes in it. prier to my ccutting, that outer pipe was sealed, when I get home I will get a photo of the header and the part I cut off so you can see it.
05-17-2015, 12:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-17-2015, 01:05 PM by tjcrichfield.)
Here's the piece I cut off, as you can see the outer pipe was a sealed pipe, while the inner pipe had holes allowing it to vent into the outer pipe, not sure why they did it exactly. But I ran the bike with the cut pipe and the horrible back firing I had when the bike either engine braked or revved down is almost completely gone.

First pipe is done getting it's makover, it is getting wrapped, but I have to order it. Used a little over half a tube of jb weld, I put it on the part of the pipe that slid into the other pipe to insure a seal would be made. And slathered the rest of it. Turned out good. Installing it today hopefully to see how it sounds.

05-18-2015, 10:00 PM,
the jb wont melt but it will get brittle. i had two pieces with a sorta tight slip fit and i was able to tap the joined section with a hammer and it broke the jb weld bond
LoLrcycle rider Cool
05-19-2015, 11:41 AM,
JB Weld is just epoxy with embedded powdered metal. It's pretty strong but is brittle as Mr RCOM notes...even in the absence of heat it tends to be brittle. It should seal fine, but don't expect it to hold exhaust pieces together and, in fact, on a motorcycle especially I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks down and basically turns to powder if it is all that is holding two pieces together. This won't happen immediately, of course, but I think over time vibration is going to take a toll.
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
05-19-2015, 03:43 PM,
heard of a 3m bonding agent that guy supposedly got at ace for use on metal and is high heat

05-19-2015, 07:48 PM,
jb weld is rated for up to 550 degrees so im not to worried about the heat part, and it wont be the only thing that is holding it together. it is getting wrapped in exhaust wrap, and sprayed with high heat silicone sealer. i do plan on eventually doing something different so this wont be a forever thing. but it is a simple inexpensive fix for me.

i have it almost finished, im working on the last of the jb welding now. im still unsure what im going to do about the rear header. its a major difference in size, and since im wrapping it i need something to act as a filler or insulator that can go around the pipe so when i wrap it it will look like its the same diameter as the rest of the exhaust. i have thought about some steel wool, or fiberglass muffler packing. im just not sure about what would work best. anyone got any options on that?