Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
06-25-2015, 09:53 AM,
Hard to start
Here recently Ive had a bit of trouble starting my 04 1100. Went and got a new fuel filter and installed that but still having the same issue. One thing I actually noticed this morning was I didn't hear the fuel pump. Is there a fuse for it? How many of you have had fuel pump issues and had to replace them? The bike has 19000 miles on it. Once I get it started it runs fine, just seems that I have to crank it longer than normal and worried about starter clutch in the end as well.
06-25-2015, 09:28 PM,
RE: Hard to start
(06-25-2015, 09:53 AM)stantheman Wrote: Here recently Ive had a bit of trouble starting my 04 1100. Went and got a new fuel filter and installed that but still having the same issue. One thing I actually noticed this morning was I didn't hear the fuel pump. Is there a fuse for it? How many of you have had fuel pump issues and had to replace them? The bike has 19000 miles on it. Once I get it started it runs fine, just seems that I have to crank it longer than normal and worried about starter clutch in the end as well.
is it hard starting both cold & hot?
06-25-2015, 09:36 PM,
you could drain the fuel bowls . then you would hear the pump refilling them.what is your idle set at?
2007 1100 custom,cobra longs and pods,doubled clutch spring.
06-26-2015, 11:12 AM,
Check the battery too, measure the battery while cranking.
06-26-2015, 07:04 PM,
Well found the problem I believe. Noticed fuel pump not ticking. Found there is a relay by the battery and noticed it was melted. Got the number and called Yamaha to verify. $74 relay from them. Found some cheaper elsewhere. Thanks for the input guys.
06-28-2015, 01:28 PM,
(06-26-2015, 07:04 PM)stantheman Wrote: Well found the problem I believe. Noticed fuel pump not ticking. Found there is a relay by the battery and noticed it was melted. Got the number and called Yamaha to verify. $74 relay from them. Found some cheaper elsewhere. Thanks for the input guys.

Are you talking about the relay located to the rear of the battery, almost right next to the rear wheel? It controls a few things and I would suggest you investigate why that relay melted before you just go replacing it, you might just melt the new one too. Check for short-to-grounds to cause melting like that.
06-28-2015, 08:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2015, 08:46 PM by pauli466.)
(06-28-2015, 01:28 PM)indie_rocker Wrote:
(06-26-2015, 07:04 PM)stantheman Wrote: Well found the problem I believe. Noticed fuel pump not ticking. Found there is a relay by the battery and noticed it was melted. Got the number and called Yamaha to verify. $74 relay from them. Found some cheaper elsewhere. Thanks for the input guys.

Are you talking about the relay located to the rear of the battery, almost right next to the rear wheel? It controls a few things and I would suggest you investigate why that relay melted before you just go replacing it, you might just melt the new one too. Check for short-to-grounds to cause melting like that.
a stuck pump might cause a meltdown. i would jump the pump directly to the battery if the wires get real hot you'll know you've solved the problem. it would be a shame to ruin your new relay. don't connect the new relay without being sure the pump is ok.
06-29-2015, 12:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-29-2015, 12:54 PM by stantheman.)
Yeah its kinda got me worried but have also thought about just removing the fuel pump entirely.

No its the relay to the front of the battery.
06-29-2015, 09:53 PM,
(06-29-2015, 12:53 PM)stantheman Wrote: Yeah its kinda got me worried but have also thought about just removing the fuel pump entirely.

No its the relay to the front of the battery.
the front relay is the starter solenoid if you crank the engine to long without letting it cool down between starting atempts it will get hot enough to start melting. which is most likely what happened. that relay has nothing to do with the fuel pump or the ignition. the fuel pump/ignition relay is at the rear of the battery. if the bike is still cranking then that front/melted relay is still working. sounds like you just have a bad pump, put 12v to it directly and listen for the ticking and you'll know for sure.
06-30-2015, 12:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2015, 12:56 PM by stantheman.)
Ok thanks, Ive got the relay out now and it still starts and runs. I have had to crank it excessively to get it to start before. Generally you would think the starter wouldn't engage with the relay out.

Im also seeing it may be a safety relay after doing some more looking.
06-30-2015, 05:35 PM,
Well got in touch with a friend that works at a dealer and she said that relay is for the oil lamp... back to the drawing board.
07-01-2015, 12:15 AM,
so my 07 hates starting when the petcock is in the RES position. possibly you left your in that position the last time you refueled? on another note, my starter sometimes gives me a hard time, I remove it and clean it and it starts great again!!
just my $.02 worth, hope it helps.
'07 Double One Hundred Custom Black Cherry w/Ghost flames
Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes
Barons ORK
Disabled AIS
Cobra Carb Needles
Every cage is trying to kill you so always remember, Grip it and Rip it!!!

07-01-2015, 10:23 AM,
Mine actually starts better in the res position. Might look into removing and cleaning the starter sometime. never thought about doing that. I found a cheap used relay online. Figured what the hell it was 19 vs 75 at dealer.
07-07-2015, 09:39 AM,
So found a used relay, oil light works again. couldn't find another relay around the battery. Found connection to pump and put a test light to it. It only gets voltage when the starter button is pushed. The fuel pump pumps every few seconds while running. Nothing when turning the key on. I ordered a cheap pump just to see what happens, Ill post more when I get it and try it out.
07-07-2015, 01:30 PM,
(07-07-2015, 09:39 AM)stantheman Wrote: So found a used relay, oil light works again. couldn't find another relay around the battery. Found connection to pump and put a test light to it. It only gets voltage when the starter button is pushed. The fuel pump pumps every few seconds while running. Nothing when turning the key on. I ordered a cheap pump just to see what happens, Ill post more when I get it and try it out.
it wont run when you first turn the key if carb bowls are full but after it starts the bowl drains a little and it pumps to refill em. so t sounds like it's working correctly. see what happens when you drain the bowls and just turn the key without starting. the pump should run about 10 seconds. then turn the key off and on again it should run another 10 seconds it will do this cycle until the bowls fill up. this is how mine worked after winter storage with everything drained.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bullet_wrench Help. V Star 1300 will not start! MotoMike 3 1,134 06-30-2016, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Elk
  How hard is it to replace bar end caps? OldePhart 6 1,257 07-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Last Post: commonground
  Start Early Knucklehead 7 1,376 04-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Matt