Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
07-14-2015, 03:48 PM,
Wired the dual USB port
Today during lunch I finally got around to wiring the dual USB port that I installed in the front of the instrument cluster on my 650 about a year ago.

It was interesting when I pulled the instrument cluster off, though. I thought it came off way too easy compared to the other times I've had it off...the speedometer cable nut was completely loose so the cable just fell out of the speedometer when I pulled the cluster up. The last time the cluster was off was when the shop replaced the speedometer under warranty. I don't know if it backed off or if they never tightened it.

Anyway, when I put it back together I used just a DAB of medium thread locker.

Now I'm all set to charge my phone and iPad on the trip and if I feel like it I can use my Garmin GPS.
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
07-14-2015, 05:32 PM,
RE: Wired the dual USB port
so going to put the garmin up on your fairing right or a mount on the handlebars, so no looking down a the tank where the put the speedo out of view (duh)
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

07-14-2015, 05:39 PM,
(07-14-2015, 05:32 PM)Keith Wrote: so going to put the garmin up on your fairing right or a mount on the handlebars, so no looking down a the tank where the put the speedo out of view (duh)
Yeah, if I use the Garmin I'll put it well up in the line of sight. My old eyes aren't so good at changing focal points any more.

I'm thinking I may bring my large tank bag instead of the little one. More room to toss my toys and stuff in and it's got waterproof pass-through ports for device wiring for the phone charger and whatnot. If I do though I'll use the Garmin because the large bag pretty much completely hides the instrument cluster. I don't look at the speedometer much when riding anyway (because of it's stupid location). The speed readout on the Garmin is a lot more accurate than the bike's speedometer and easier to see, though.
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
09-18-2015, 04:07 PM,
Got any pics of this? Id like to do it soon myself.
09-18-2015, 07:53 PM,
@Llyodchristmiss our esteemed member @Oldephart has been MIA for over a month now, a lot of us miss his input and just being around. We do hope that he is okay and just taking a bit of time off.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

09-19-2015, 06:44 PM,
(09-18-2015, 07:53 PM)Keith Wrote: @Llyodchristmiss our esteemed member @Oldephart has been MIA for over a month now, a lot of us miss his input and just being around. We do hope that he is okay and just taking a bit of time off.
i hear ya i'm starting to get very worried about john, the man is great with electronics.
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
09-22-2015, 11:46 AM,
Damn that's not cool. Hopefully everything is okay with him. Ill start another thread..just had a dumb quick question.