Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
07-30-2012, 02:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012, 02:45 PM by Coleman.)
V star 950 back firing problem
Hey all, hopefully someone has some insight on this. I'm going to have to take my bike into the shop....what a crappy weekend...but anyway, does anyone have any ideas. I have a lot of back firing on my bike. Any ideas?
Life is short...enjoy the ride.
07-30-2012, 02:47 PM,
RE: V star 950 back firing problem
When does the back firing happen? All the time? Acceleration? Cruising? Lifting off the throttle? Is the bike warmed up or does it happen when it is cold.

We need more a bit more information. Thanks!
07-30-2012, 02:51 PM,
Deltaforce22 raises some excellent questions.

If you get those answered we can probably help you out. How long have you had the bike?

Thanks,

Matt
07-30-2012, 02:56 PM,
Um, it seems to happen only when I'm coasting. I haven't really noticed it backfiring any other times. When I am coasting...like say off an exit ramp. Bike is warmed up when doing it. Is not back firing when I am accelerating or just cruising. Just when I'm coasting now that you mention it.
Life is short...enjoy the ride.
07-30-2012, 10:29 PM,
is this a common problem? i'm actually thinking about getting a 950 myself
07-31-2012, 06:32 PM,
From what it sounds like this is just un-burnt fuel igniting in the exhaust system. Nothing to worry about at all. What happens is when you left off the throttle a little bit of fuel will not ignite in the ignition chamber/ cylinder and it goes into the exhaust. The exhaust is, of course, very hot and therefore it ignites the fuel. I personally think it sounds cool. So, I'm 90% certain nothing to worry about!
07-31-2012, 06:40 PM,
I agree with MrTomD. This is just unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust. High performance cars that do not have catalytic converters can do this. I don't know if I mentioned this elsewhere, but friend of mine had a Porsche that would do this if you let off the throttle. It would shoot flames out the back on shifts. Pretty cool. I drove it one time in town and got on it and a lady pulled up beside me and said the car was on fire. LOL. Biggrin

If this were happening on acceleration, or when it was starting up I think you'd have a problem, but I think you've got nothing to worry about. Let us know if things change and it happens elsewhere. Good luck!
08-01-2012, 06:37 PM,
Hey Coleman,

Check out this thread here: question about v star 950 backfiring

Zag has some advice on what you can try if it is a big problem for you. Hope this helps. Report back if you can and let us know what happens.
04-16-2017, 03:32 PM,
Is your check engine light on? If so what code?

If not, is your O2 sensor connected? The ECU needs this to adjust the mixture to 14.7:1.

An engine running too rich will pop on decel.