Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
07-27-2015, 05:13 PM,
Crazy mileage...
Yesterday I overfilled the tank and drove hard through the mountains (rarely over 65 indicated but up and down through the gears a lot with the throttle wide open a lot) and filled up at 156...without going to reserve.

Today I overfilled the tank and cruised 70-ish (75 indicated...occasionally 80) and had to switch to reserve at 109!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
07-27-2015, 06:44 PM,
RE: Crazy mileage...
dang @OldePhart that lil bike sucks the fuel! now the other one seems more like in town riding like I do cause I can get 140-150 out of a tank rarely up to 65 on our side streets though, only do that to get out of a parking lot of cars on the road where I feel they are not paying enough attention.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

07-28-2015, 12:09 AM,
That sounds about right for mine too. My my 650 get really thirsty cruising those speeds.
07-29-2015, 07:26 PM,
(07-27-2015, 05:13 PM)OldePhart Wrote: Yesterday I overfilled the tank and drove hard through the mountains (rarely over 65 indicated but up and down through the gears a lot with the throttle wide open a lot) and filled up at 156...without going to reserve.

Today I overfilled the tank and cruised 70-ish (75 indicated...occasionally 80) and had to switch to reserve at 109!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
109 is pretty bad even large cc engines do better. i can get near 50mpg @75mph on the clock 68 on the gps.
07-30-2015, 08:03 AM,
roughly 3.3 gallons to reserve so 109 miles on 3.3 gallons= 33 mpg now that is crazy.
07-30-2015, 09:52 AM,
(07-30-2015, 08:03 AM)pauli466 Wrote: roughly 3.3 gallons to reserve so 109 miles on 3.3 gallons= 33 mpg now that is crazy.

Yeah...it's been pretty consistent though that it gets lousy mileage at 75+ (indicated). This was the first time I'd run a full tank at those speeds so when it started missing at 109 miles I was thinking "no way it can be on reserve". I let it go for a bit until it was missing badly enough that it was obviously out of fuel. When I switched to reserve I didn't expect it to make a difference because I was thinking something had to be broken (that was largely why I waited so long to go to reserve I wanted to make sure that was the issue and not just coincidence). Sure enough, a second after I switched to reserve it picked right up and we went merrily along.

According to the manual the fuel tank is 4.2 gallons total and 0.8 reserve, meaning 3.4 to reserve but I'd over-filled the tank so it was probably closer to 3.7 gallons to reserve for a lousy 29.5 MPG.

Around town and at speeds up to 60 or 65 it does okay. The day before was 156 miles with much of it hard on the throttle and I didn't go to reserve - at a minimum that was about 156/3.7 = 42+ MPG. And the throttle was wide open much of the time climbing mountains and accelerating hard out of curves (l rubbed the last of the chicken strips off of my tires on Sunday Biggrin ). With normal riding around town I get close to 50 MPG.

I'm thinking maybe it is the bat wing. I would expect that a fairing would smooth the air flow out and actually improve mileage, even though the frontal area is larger. Maybe that's an erroneous conclusion, though. I know buffeting behind the 'wing increases dramatically at 70+ so it may be that there is a tipping point where the bat wing become a serious fuel hog.

John
07-30-2015, 06:14 PM,
(07-30-2015, 09:52 AM)OldePhart Wrote:
(07-30-2015, 08:03 AM)pauli466 Wrote: roughly 3.3 gallons to reserve so 109 miles on 3.3 gallons= 33 mpg now that is crazy.

Yeah...it's been pretty consistent though that it gets lousy mileage at 75+ (indicated). This was the first time I'd run a full tank at those speeds so when it started missing at 109 miles I was thinking "no way it can be on reserve". I let it go for a bit until it was missing badly enough that it was obviously out of fuel. When I switched to reserve I didn't expect it to make a difference because I was thinking something had to be broken (that was largely why I waited so long to go to reserve I wanted to make sure that was the issue and not just coincidence). Sure enough, a second after I switched to reserve it picked right up and we went merrily along.

According to the manual the fuel tank is 4.2 gallons total and 0.8 reserve, meaning 3.4 to reserve but I'd over-filled the tank so it was probably closer to 3.7 gallons to reserve for a lousy 29.5 MPG.

Around town and at speeds up to 60 or 65 it does okay. The day before was 156 miles with much of it hard on the throttle and I didn't go to reserve - at a minimum that was about 156/3.7 = 42+ MPG. And the throttle was wide open much of the time climbing mountains and accelerating hard out of curves (l rubbed the last of the chicken strips off of my tires on Sunday Biggrin ). With normal riding around town I get close to 50 MPG.

I'm thinking maybe it is the bat wing. I would expect that a fairing would smooth the air flow out and actually improve mileage, even though the frontal area is larger. Maybe that's an erroneous conclusion, though. I know buffeting behind the 'wing increases dramatically at 70+ so it may be that there is a tipping point where the bat wing become a serious fuel hog.

John
are bat wings frame mounted or fork mounted. i'v been thinking about one for a bigger look.
07-30-2015, 06:18 PM,
@pauli466 believe batwings are handlebar mounted. I want to do it on mine but not batwing, get the full 1300 tourer front.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

07-30-2015, 09:07 PM,
(07-30-2015, 06:18 PM)Keith Wrote: @pauli466 believe batwings are handlebar mounted. I want to do it on mine but not batwing, get the full 1300 tourer front.
i'v heard anything mounted to the bars or forks affects the steering/handling. mine handles much better with the windshield off but i leave it on for endurance reasons. i do a lot of miles. on any performance bike everything is always frame mounted. with my windshield on the front is a bit twitchy but nothing i cant handle.
07-30-2015, 10:41 PM,
Bat wings are fork mounted. Mine has the "spoiler" style windshield that is short but has an outward curve at the top to throw the air up over your head. It works pretty well up to about 65 or 70 indicated, then the buffeting sets in.

Anything fork mounted can be an issue in a strong crosswind but I've ridden in some strong crosswinds and it's only a minor annoyance. It's well worth having to keep overall fatigue down. I took mine off once last summer and rode about 200 miles. I put it on again as soon as I got home; that entire 200 miles I felt like I was being pushed off the back of the bike. Now that I think about it, I didn't get very good mileage on that run either, so I guess it's not the bat wing that is lowering my mileage.

I think the big black bat wing does make the bike look larger and it provides a better, less cluttered, background for the headlight to show against. I know that I noticed a very distinct difference in how quickly people noticed me with it on vs. off. I also prefer it over a windshield because in cold weather it provides quite a bit of protection for the hands and arms. I've ridden in the mid-thirties on a long highway trip and was quite comfortable behind the bat wing in a mesh jacket with quilted liner with a sweatshirt under that.

If I do get a 1300 Tourer I'll probably end up getting a Memphis Shades bat wing to replace the factory windshield. Or maybe I'll buy the base 1300 model and put factory bags and a MS bat wing on it; all depends on what kind of deal I can work when the time comes, I suppose. I thought about the Deluxe but it's 1500 more and most of that is for audio junk that will just be in my way. I ride to get away from electronic media noise, no way I'm taking it with me! LOL
07-16-2016, 10:39 PM,
I've been averaging between 45 and 50, best I ever got was 58 mpg the worse was 38. It all depends on how heavy my throttle hand is, and tthe damned tourist in town stopping at every pretty sight they see. Not to mention the idiots that dart out between cars.
07-31-2016, 03:30 PM,
I have been getting 55 MPG consistently in a variety of driving.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vstar 650 Mileage mike721 9 2,133 07-19-2015, 10:52 PM
Last Post: pauli466