Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
08-19-2015, 01:38 PM,
wiped out and busted signal light.
So, yesterday, I wiped out in spectacular fashion on my bike. Fortunately, other than some road rash, a few bruises, my leather, and my pride, I'm not hurt.

My 650 however didn't fare so well, there's a good bit of cosmetic damage, a bent shifter and a busted signal light. I had to order some parts to fix the light, and figured in the meantime I would try to straighten it up. It's bent backwards at a fair angle. I took off all the broken bits of lens and bulb, undid all the screws, and now I don't know what to do. I thought it would be a simple matter to loosen it up, and move it back in on the rubber, but now it looks like the rubber piece extends out into the bulb area and back through the front bar and I can't seem to position it. I guess it looks like some of the rubber has been hauled out of the middle part of the bar and I can't get it to go back in to straighten it up. I didn't want to poke and prod at it too much in case I'd make it worse, or end up damaging the wiring for the lights.

Is there anything else I should be checking the bike over for after taking it into a left side slide? Things that might potentially have gotten damaged that are not immediately noticeable.

I did ride it back home, but if it was handling properly or not, I couldn't tell. I was having a mega off day, and had already lost it in an easy turn on familiar roads.
08-19-2015, 06:47 PM,
RE: wiped out and busted signal light.
Glad you weren't hurt worse. Hopefully someone here will have info on the light.
08-19-2015, 10:47 PM,
@Stormlady

Glad you are up and moving. Bravo to you for getting back up and riding home.

Kimberly aka Queen of Plasti-Dip Freaks.
Gracie 2007 RoadStar 1700
2015 STAR Chapter 224 President, El Cajon CA
08-20-2015, 12:01 AM,
Check for any leaks from the front jug all the way back to the rear drive.
It doesn't sound like you slammed hard, but you could have knocked something loose or possibly cracked a cover.
Check you handlebars and levers next. Stand the bike up and close your eyes as you check. I trust muscle memory over measuring tapes when it comes to this. Give the bars a slow waggle, listening for any strange clunk or unusual stiffness.

You are not the first to do a slow slide. I hate to admit it, my 1100 has been down on its left side a few times. Fortunately during slow parking lot maneuvers.
If all seems Okay, have another experienced rider give it a look, or better yet a motorcycle tech.

Most of all, congratulations on surviving the mishap. Leather, chrome and doodads can be replaced.
08-20-2015, 01:24 AM,
Oh yeah you didn't say anything about your helmet. If it hit the ground it's highly recommended that you replace it. There could be damage under the shell that you can not see. Always best to be safe.

Kimberly aka Queen of Plasti-Dip Freaks.
Gracie 2007 RoadStar 1700
2015 STAR Chapter 224 President, El Cajon CA
08-20-2015, 03:23 PM,
Even if you think the lid did not hit the dirt, you should heavily consider replacing it anyway. The forces involved in an accident even at slow speeds could have damaged it internally and there is no way of knowing. Consider that since your head is intact the lid did its job and can now retire.
'07 Double One Hundred Custom Black Cherry w/Ghost flames
Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes
Barons ORK
Disabled AIS
Cobra Carb Needles
Every cage is trying to kill you so always remember, Grip it and Rip it!!!

08-20-2015, 03:38 PM,
I am planning to get a new helmet, I didn't initially think my head hit the ground, but after taking a look over the helmet, it does look like I may have. I hate my current helmet, so I'm going to find a good one that I like this time.

My Yamaha dealership flew in the parts to fix my light, so I picked them up today, but I still have to figure what to do with the rubber to fix that part of it. I'm hoping by the weekend to be back on my own two wheels. I had to ride a VStrom today instead, and I'm just a tad too short for it.
08-20-2015, 03:45 PM,
Just really glad that you're mostly okay!!

Take care.
2008 Yamaha 1100 Classic
Pure stock cause totally mechanically challenged Confused
08-22-2015, 10:24 AM,
also invest in a engine guard/highway bars helps protect the bike on slow slides like that if you don't already have one.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

08-22-2015, 04:00 PM,
I do have a set of engine guards thankfully. A friend has a roll bar that he thinks will fit as well, he's planning to take a look at my bike, and if it will, swap out my engine guards for the roll bar.
08-22-2015, 04:58 PM,
roll bar, now am going to have to see that one, only seen engine guard/highway bars.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

08-22-2015, 09:02 PM,
highway bar is probably the same thing that I'm calling a roll bar, just like a wider engine guard I guess, but it helps save your legs if you go down along with the engine.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turn Signal Issues mlawson 0 104 04-14-2018, 04:10 PM
Last Post: mlawson
  How to disconnect front turn signal wires Holtmann 3 285 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Holtmann
  Oil light happy vstar rider 0 705 07-24-2017, 06:21 PM
Last Post: happy vstar rider
  Brake light modulator... camperbc 3 1,593 05-29-2016, 06:00 PM
Last Post: pauli466
  my neutral light stays on Adamjrdad 1 1,504 05-22-2016, 07:32 PM
Last Post: pauli466
  Speedometer and the Check Engine Light! smokindawg 4 2,764 05-16-2016, 12:19 AM
Last Post: smokindawg
  1157 VS. 2357 Brake light bulb. Mr RCOM 6 3,695 06-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Elk
  Relocating brake light switch ~ 1100 Mr RCOM 0 840 04-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Mr RCOM
  LED strips bright enought for brake light? Mr RCOM 8 2,622 12-12-2014, 01:59 AM
Last Post: Mr RCOM
  Daytime running light conversion Gibbo 4 1,568 12-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Gibbo