Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
08-20-2015, 09:33 AM,
V star 650 2006
got bike used with 2000 miles about a month ago, had to replace carb as it wasnt running with full power, bike runs great now but shop noticed oil leak when it was there
and said it may be neutral switch or O ring, gonna bring it in, I noticed oil build up under engine in the crack between the crankcase/engine where its bolted together, hoping its not that, oil drips near kickstand as tilted down in that direction,
bike did sit for many years and I cant say if it was in a garage or covered.
Anyway, bike runs great and I want to keep it, any ideas about what to expect when shop starts looking at it?
Thanks
08-20-2015, 04:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-20-2015, 04:20 PM by pauli466.)
RE: V star 650 2006
(08-20-2015, 09:33 AM)frankeluv Wrote: got bike used with 2000 miles about a month ago, had to replace carb as it wasnt running with full power, bike runs great now but shop noticed oil leak when it was there
and said it may be neutral switch or O ring, gonna bring it in, I noticed oil build up under engine in the crack between the crankcase/engine where its bolted together, hoping its not that, oil drips near kickstand as tilted down in that direction,
Anyway, bike runs great and I want to keep it, any ideas about what to expect when shop starts looking at it?
Thanks
neutral switch is a common leak, the bolt ears usually crack. you can replace it yourself in 20 min very easy fix, i'v never seen a 650 with the cases leaking. the neutral switch uses torx screws i believe #25 3 torx screws and one philip screw and done. dealer price 75.00 labor 35.00 for the part. you can get the part on e-bay 19.99 free shipping.
08-27-2015, 08:41 AM,
RE: V star 650 2006
(08-20-2015, 04:18 PM)pauli466 Wrote: You were right, the dealer charged me $49 for labor and parts and it was the neutral switch, mechanic said previous owner tried to patch the old one, leak stopped and I was relieved, thanks for your input and reply, I appreciate it and enjoying not seeing oil everywhere!!
(08-20-2015, 09:33 AM)frankeluv Wrote: got bike used with 2000 miles about a month ago, had to replace carb as it wasnt running with full power, bike runs great now but shop noticed oil leak when it was there
Thanks
neutral switch is a common leak, the bolt ears usually crack. you can replace it yourself in 20 min very easy fix, i'v never seen a 650 with the cases leaking. the neutral switch uses torx screws i believe #25 3 torx screws and one philip screw and done. dealer price 75.00 labor 35.00 for the part. you can get the part on e-bay 19.99 free shipping.