Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10-04-2015, 09:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 09:41 PM by joelmatt89.)
New to the forum and just custom mounted some Harley bags... check it out
Just picked up an 08 1300 with 6k miles for $5k. I was looking for a cruiser after having always owned sports bikes. The previous owner had put a batwing fairing with a 4 speaker radio. The bike is super clean, not a scratch on it. Besides the fairing he upgraded the horn, did the airbox mod and drilled the exhaust. Since I bought it last week I relocated the horn behind the dummy panel and since I'm not really a huge fan of chrome covered plastic everywhere I plasti dipped some of the plastic chrome pieces on the bike. I also lowered it 2 inches and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was, some people had talked about it taking two hours. It took me about ten minutes to figure out how to jack the bike and still be able to remove the links and then ten minutes to replace the links... much easier then expected and looks way better. Also since I was expecting to have to relocate the turn signals for bags I replaced all the turn signals with led strips. I also mounted the license plate directly to the fender using the empty holes from the turn signal/license plate bracket.

The bike has really grown on me especially after putting these bags on. I looked at a lot of bags and ultimately decided I pretty much hate the look of all the bags except the harley bags. And I looked at a lot of options using brackets online but didn't like the looks of any of the ones I could buy. They all hold the bags way to far off the bike making it look really obvious its not stock. So I opted to make my own. I was able to reuse the front hole for the stock bracket but had to drill one new hole for the back. It took be about 8 hours start to finish to fab it up but I got both sides mounted perfectly. They line up perfectly on either side with each other and the lines of the bike and are as close to the fender as you can get them. They aren't very easy to remove but they are rock solid the only way to have less movement is if I mounted them directly to the frame. I am really happy how they turned out. Now I just have to decide if I want to upgrade exhaust or stay stock!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

10-05-2015, 06:31 PM,
RE: New to the forum and just custom mounted some Harley bags... check it out
Looks good! Nice job integrating them with the bike.
10-05-2015, 08:11 PM,
New to the forum and just custom mounted some Harley bags... check it out
Solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-05-2015, 10:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 10:47 PM by pauli466.)
(10-05-2015, 08:11 PM)Greasyjonny Wrote: Solid

once their painted the whole bike will look oem. i'm thinking of switching my leatherlyke bags to something like you did. is that foward peg mounted to the board? if so where did you get them?
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
10-06-2015, 09:39 AM,
@joelmatt89 more detail on how you mounted them please, i have a set of HD that am wanting to mount and the ghost/easy mounts are bit pricey plus don't seem like they will hold much weight as they are weight rated so by the time you do hard bags, cannot put much gear.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

10-06-2015, 11:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 12:50 PM by joelmatt89.)
(10-06-2015, 09:39 AM)Keith Wrote: more detail on how you mounted them please, i have a set of HD that am wanting to mount and the ghost/easy mounts are bit pricey plus don't seem like they will hold much weight as they are weight rated so by the time you do hard bags, cannot put much gear.
Keith I will try to take some close up photos when I get home. But I will say what your saying is exactly where I was at I wouldn't have a problem paying for some good brackets that were solid and held the bags close to the bike but the problem is they aren't out there. For good reason though after having done this I realized using existing holes there are to many obstructions that would prevent a solid install you really have to get creative. But I do know mine are very solid and I have no concern putting just about anything in there besides maybe a lot of liquids.

I also attached a really bad sketch with some really bad notes that might help a little. It shows the location of the bolts I added. The highlighted bolts are the ones that go into the bags the two that aren't highlighted are the existing bolts for the stainless steel trim that I used to mount a bracket to. Everything I used was 1/4" stainless steel bolts with lock nuts and 1.5" fender washers, besides the all thread which was 5/16 stainless. I also used some 1" bar stock to make brackets as shown in a few spots on the sketch. You really have to taylor make everything to fit the bike. Where you need spacers to hold the bags off, home depot and a lot of other stores sell chrome spacers in 1/4" increments and various id's. You are going to spend probably at least $60 in hardware, stainless steel is not cheap and neither are the spacers. If you want to do it the way I did I would plan on it taking at least a Saturday if you want to do it right. It takes a lot of time for each hole to mark the hole, test fit mark the next hole, test fit etc. Also you can see in the one location I put a hole in the belt guard, this was not as much structural but the bag was very close to the guard and I didn't want them constantly bumping/rubbing against each other so I decided to hold them tight together. Also I placed the hole at the same alignment coming off the other two bolts there so if the bags were removed you could put a dummy screw and nut there that would conceal the hole. Same with the new holes I drilled in the fender I put them under where the stainless trim goes so if you remove the bags the stainless trim could conceal them. The other detail that isn't straight forward is the stainless steel all thread at the bottom I placed this a few inches behind the wheel just barely below the fender so its concealed by angle of the fender when looking at the bike from behind but doesn't actually require a new hole through the fender. I then used two pieces of flat bar to capture the fender from the inside. This detail is critical as it provides by far the most rigidity to the system.

(10-05-2015, 10:43 PM)pauli466 Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 08:11 PM)Greasyjonny Wrote: Solid

once their painted the whole bike will look oem. i'm thinking of switching my leatherlyke bags to something like you did. is that foward peg mounted to the board? if so where did you get them?
I haven't decided yet if I will paint them or not, in this photo they look like a different color, I think mostly because my fender is dirty and had some smudges on it so it looks lighter. They are the hd vivid black but in person the two shades of black look the exact same. So far the people I showed them too thought I had painted them to match my bike. My experience with trying to match paint anyways is even if you use an oem color it almost never comes out looking exactly like the factory anyways unless you pay a lot of money for a really good job.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

10-06-2015, 03:08 PM,
(10-06-2015, 09:39 AM)Keith Wrote: @joelmatt89 more detail on how you mounted them please, i have a set of HD that am wanting to mount and the ghost/easy mounts are bit pricey plus don't seem like they will hold much weight as they are weight rated so by the time you do hard bags, cannot put much gear.
where can i get a highway peg that mounts like that?
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
10-06-2015, 03:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 03:46 PM by joelmatt89.)
(10-06-2015, 03:08 PM)pauli466 Wrote:
(10-06-2015, 09:39 AM)Keith Wrote: @joelmatt89 more detail on how you mounted them please, i have a set of HD that am wanting to mount and the ghost/easy mounts are bit pricey plus don't seem like they will hold much weight as they are weight rated so by the time you do hard bags, cannot put much gear.
where can i get a highway peg that mounts like that?
search google for "adjustable cruise peg mounts floorboard mounted peg mounts" mine were on there when I bought the bike I think Kuryakyn makes them. They look exactly like the kuryakyn ones I am seeing online, they are surprisingly adjustable which is nice. I am 5'8" and the guy i bought it from was 6' I could barely touch them with my toes before adjusting them and now they fit fine.
10-06-2015, 07:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 07:39 PM by Keith.)
my highway pegs are omg hd, they swivel too so top and bottom can be used depending on your mood for hwy pegs on the crash bars that means that the rest itself the top and bottom can be just moved around and of course up out of the way if needed, have heard that some do not mount or stay mounted well, guess this is one that hd got right.

I had a kaw police before carried a 18 of brew in one bag, most of the mounts would say that exceeds the weight, then if I was to go on a trip could have all sorts of things stuffed in each bag and the back rack has been way over its limit many times, had a case and playmate and a camp chair and a 3 man tent strapped onto it.

the back rack was on the vstar of course, was no rack on the kaw
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

10-06-2015, 08:58 PM,
See video below

04-24-2016, 09:39 AM,
I know this is an old thread but that looks sharp. I've been looking to do this for awhile now. Nice job.
A great man once said you can never learn if you don't ask.