Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10-21-2015, 06:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-21-2015, 06:30 PM by Maustarman.)
The Phantom Bobber Built
Ok... It's been more than a year since I did my last built the Purple Death ...
Health is getting better bits at the time so I decided to jump in to the garage and start my next creation!
I have lots of plans for it but need to take it easy.

It's really difficult for me to work on a build with out a name for it ....it's like it doesn't have a purpose I just can't see where I'm going ..... So, the name will be......

**The Phantom **

It's a 02 Vstar 650 I picked up the other day
Lots of bad things wrong with it but that makes it more interesting....
-Bad engine (already ordered a 09 engine with 7k miles to mount in it)
-Rusted wheels ...pretty bad so will have to sandblast and powder coat.
-Bad fork seals
-Gummed Carbs ...so bad that the needles are stocked.
-Needs new tires

Already got the engine out here is the how to video I made..
http://youtu.be/wa-l68ZJKbY

Here is what it looks like after a few days of work :)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

10-22-2015, 08:57 AM,
RE: The Phantom Bobber Built
(10-21-2015, 06:29 PM)Maustarman Wrote: Ok... It's been more than a year since I did my last built the Purple Death ...
Health is getting better bits at the time so I decided to jump in to the garage and start my next creation!
I have lots of plans for it but need to take it easy.

It's really difficult for me to work on a build with out a name for it ....it's like it doesn't have a purpose I just can't see where I'm going ..... So, the name will be......

**The Phantom **

It's a 02 Vstar 650 I picked up the other day
Lots of bad things wrong with it but that makes it more interesting....
-Bad engine (already ordered a 09 engine with 7k miles to mount in it)
-Rusted wheels ...pretty bad so will have to sandblast and powder coat.
-Bad fork seals
-Gummed Carbs ...so bad that the needles are stocked.
-Needs new tires

Already got the engine out here is the how to video I made..
http://youtu.be/wa-l68ZJKbY

Here is what it looks like after a few days of work :)

what's a bike in that condition cost, how do find them. i'v been looking for a parts bike.
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
10-22-2015, 11:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-22-2015, 11:19 AM by Maustarman.)
The Phantom Bobber Built
@pauli466
It depends...
But normally around $500 I've paid as low as 300 for an entire bike
This one in particular wasn't taken care off but some I've found just need some tlc ...
So, 500 plus a new engine another 5 or 6 hundred = 1100 you have a good running bike :)
In my case that's just the start because the modifying part is the next step :)
I can normally find 1 or. 2 per year within 50miles radius .....that is *Vstars because I just don't bother with others.

I just have a craigslist app in my phone with certain search criteria and when that gets posted I get notified and I'm the first person inline 99% of the time.
10-22-2015, 11:56 AM,
(10-22-2015, 11:16 AM)Maustarman Wrote: @pauli466
It depends...
But normally around $500 I've paid as low as 300 for an entire bike
This one in particular wasn't taken care off but some I've found just need some tlc ...
So, 500 plus a new engine another 5 or 6 hundred = 1100 you have a good running bike :)
In my case that's just the start because the modifying part is the next step :)
I can normally find 1 or. 2 per year within 50miles radius .....that is *Vstars because I just don't bother with others.

I just have a craigslist app in my phone with certain search criteria and when that gets posted I get notified and I'm the first person inline 99% of the time.

ok i'll set up a craiglist acc in my area, have you ever bought out of state? if so what's the cheapest way to get a bike shipped to you. also if it's a salvage title do they usually come with the insurance adjusters quote because the quote is needed in ct. to get a salvage bike inspected, i think ct. is looking to see if it a parts only and unrestorable bike.
10-22-2015, 12:55 PM,
The Phantom Bobber Built
No, haven't bought anything from Out of state... I've sold must of my builds to people out of state and they are the ones who arrange a freight co to pick up the bike...
Normally there are a bunch of companies where you can post where you need the bike to be picked up at and where it needs to be taken to and different drivers bit on it and you can choose what is more convenient to you.
I don't buy salvage ...a none working bike with a salvage tittle its negative numbers for me.
The only salvage bike I would ever buy is an expensive almost new bike that has been totaled due to cosmetics & I would be planning to keep.
A bike like the ones I get and with a salvage tittle I would never pay more than $50.
10-23-2015, 04:34 PM,
The Phantom Bobber Built
I got the engine yesterday...
It looks dirty and it was outside for a while so it needed some repainting etc.

Since the engine was out I decided to do the "diamond cut" of the fins like one of my previous projects ..
Prep:

Here is the start

Coming along

Final product

10-23-2015, 06:48 PM,
(10-23-2015, 04:34 PM)Maustarman Wrote: I got the engine yesterday...
It looks dirty and it was outside for a while so it needed some repainting etc.

Since the engine was out I decided to do the "diamond cut" of the fins like one of my previous projects ..
Prep:

Here is the start

Coming along

Final product

i would like to brighten up my fin edges and repaint jugs/heads i going to remove the carbs,head covers,exhaust and ais lines, any ideas on paint and how it can be done. i'm looking to get it back to oem, i figure i can tape and cover areas that may get over spray. the thing is how do i get the paint off the fin edges and polish them to get nice sharp lines. the jugs look like wrinkle but the heads are some other kind of paint. any ideas?
10-25-2015, 01:26 PM,
The Phantom Bobber Built
@pauli466
I would polish the fins first, use 1/8 airbrush masking tape to cover the fins and than spray the black, take the tape off the fins and clean up.
Spray again this time with a engine clear coat.
10-25-2015, 06:03 PM,
(10-25-2015, 01:26 PM)Maustarman Wrote: @pauli466
I would polish the fins first, use 1/8 airbrush masking tape to cover the fins and than spray the black, take the tape off the fins and clean up.
Spray again this time with a engine clear coat.

sounds good but i'd like to get the edges shinny before taping, i don't want to dull em further by using the wrong method to polish em. i was thinking a 400 sand then maybe using rouge and buffing, wada ya think?
10-26-2015, 11:34 AM,
The Phantom Bobber Built
You got it...
10-28-2015, 09:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-29-2015, 10:28 AM by Maustarman.)
The Phantom Bobber Built
Got the engine back in the frame...
[Image: 7ee1688efc339d37ddb0c041692168fc.jpg]
Next... Clean the carbs but I found an unpleasant surprise :(
When I got the bike it was obvious the PO had taken somethings apart... Well, carb 2 has completely broken corner...
[Image: 2ca2513904dc0f7d2ed9fd47374416f1.jpg]
[Image: b91f258d424ad0f6108e8b36858b6da4.jpg]
That's an expensive surprise :(

Now ..,on the market for a set of carbs
10-28-2015, 09:22 PM,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-06-YAMAHA-V-S...Rk&vxp=mtr out of curiosity i looked on ebay and carbs are over $250.00 i scrolled down a ways and seen these. you know what they say if it sounds to good to be true. it usually is.,,...anyways maybe there good for parts
2007 1100 custom,cobra longs and pods,doubled clutch spring.
10-28-2015, 10:08 PM,
The Phantom Bobber Built
That a good deal for sure
But that's for a 1100 and my project is a 650
10-28-2015, 10:18 PM,
i could'nt tell from the picture, the cylinders looked big but the valve covers are off, sorrry
2007 1100 custom,cobra longs and pods,doubled clutch spring.
11-06-2015, 04:53 PM,
The Phantom Bobber Built
Well...Got it JB welded ...it looks OK ...we will see what happens when I finally get to the point where I can start that baby.

Today I took 1hour to slash cut the exhaust and do all the 3rd baffle mods...
It looks pretty nice ...just have to use the paint to detail.
[Image: 33df2f999cdcc166dd123207398e7525.jpg]
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My v-star 650 bobber apetkovic 0 882 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Last Post: apetkovic