Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
10-30-2015, 10:46 PM,
2001 Vstar upgrades
[Image: 20151030_132952_zpstiwcfk4s.jpg]

[Image: 20151027_202751_zps5jqfgh0v.jpg]

[Image: 20151027_202442_zpsvqqtqj2x.jpg]

I've been busy the past few days with my bike which I use as my daily commuter.
1. Two new Commander ll tires, got 23k miles on last set.
2. New EBC HH pads front and back, has 23k on last set, could have gone longer but had bike apart.
3. ED oil relocate kit, got tired of dropping exhaust, kit is great and really like personal note from manufacturer if I had any issues to contact them, don't see personal notes like that much any more that is hand written.
4. New cobra slash cut full exhaust, great fit, great looks and WOW it sounds great. My old front header pipe was starting to show it's age (like me, ha ha) and the rear heat shield had fallen off. One main reason I went with this exhaust is the rear header pipe is closer to the bike and is angled different. Being short legged I was always burning my leg.
5. Cleaned carbs as you can see from picture the trash from gas tank that I had cleaned a while back was still in carbs.
6. Rejetted carbs, started out with 112.5 and 115. Didn't run like I thought it should so went 115 and 117.5. I do have a KN stock replacement air filter so that may be why it liked bigger jets.
7. Drilled PMS plugs, went out half turn, still popped some so went out have more turn, no popping.
8. Synced carbs.
9. New plugs.

Bike runs better than ever before. All this work was completed in two day, as I said earlier this is my daily driver and could not be down.

I want to thank this forum and all the members who post on modifications to their bikes. Using this forum and a few others I was able to complete all the work with not issue and knew about the carb issues I might face. If anyone would like any more info on work done I will be happy to expand work done.
11-19-2015, 11:41 PM,
RE: 2001 Vstar upgrades
(10-30-2015, 10:46 PM)lesblank Wrote: [Image: 20151030_132952_zpstiwcfk4s.jpg]

[Image: 20151027_202751_zps5jqfgh0v.jpg]

[Image: 20151027_202442_zpsvqqtqj2x.jpg]

I've been busy the past few days with my bike which I use as my daily commuter.
1. Two new Commander ll tires, got 23k miles on last set.
2. New EBC HH pads front and back, has 23k on last set, could have gone longer but had bike apart.
3. ED oil relocate kit, got tired of dropping exhaust, kit is great and really like personal note from manufacturer if I had any issues to contact them, don't see personal notes like that much any more that is hand written.
4. New cobra slash cut full exhaust, great fit, great looks and WOW it sounds great. My old front header pipe was starting to show it's age (like me, ha ha) and the rear heat shield had fallen off. One main reason I went with this exhaust is the rear header pipe is closer to the bike and is angled different. Being short legged I was always burning my leg.
5. Cleaned carbs as you can see from picture the trash from gas tank that I had cleaned a while back was still in carbs.
6. Rejetted carbs, started out with 112.5 and 115. Didn't run like I thought it should so went 115 and 117.5. I do have a KN stock replacement air filter so that may be why it liked bigger jets.
7. Drilled PMS plugs, went out half turn, still popped some so went out have more turn, no popping.
8. Synced carbs.
9. New plugs.

Bike runs better than ever before. All this work was completed in two day, as I said earlier this is my daily driver and could not be down.

I want to thank this forum and all the members who post on modifications to their bikes. Using this forum and a few others I was able to complete all the work with not issue and knew about the carb issues I might face. If anyone would like any more info on work done I will be happy to expand work done.
Those bags look good so does the two tone paint nice bike !
11-20-2015, 10:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-20-2015, 10:31 PM by lesblank.)
Thanks for the compliment. I bought those bags here.
http://www.jafrum.com/motorcycle-luggage...ags-sd2036
Got them two years ago as a temporary bag until I could get something nicer. I was mistaken, they are great. I commute daily, rain, heat, cold. Have 25k miles on them and other than some boot scuffs from me being short and not being careful they are holding up extremely well. They surprised me as to how much they hold. Ratings were from good to bad. I can say that when time to replace I will get the same ones. Most of thebad reviewes come from hardware issues. Yes I had to buy some longer bolts but for the price I did not have an issue with this. The bags are the medium size.
11-21-2015, 11:34 AM,
I have purchased several items from Jafrum through the years and always had good luck with their products . I just recently bought a like new set of US Saddlebags Company bags on Ebay gave $100 for them they sell for $700 haven't mounted them yet ill post a pic on here when I do .
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Film Documenting my 2001 VSTAR 1100 Maintenance in a video series jrubin 0 588 04-13-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: jrubin