Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
01-26-2016, 03:34 PM,
Check Engine Light and Speedometer
2006 Vstar 650 - 22k miles

Short version - While riding speedo stopped working shortly after noticing this I also started seeing check engine light (CEL) come on and go off. Fixed speedo issue and now I no longer get CEL. weird...

Long version - I was riding the other week and my speedometer stopped working. During that same ride (25 miles around the neighborhood) my CEL would come on and go off, this was mostly above 40 mph or so. I tried to find documentation or anything that pointed to a connection between the two. I found a couple threads online where the question was posed but none of them had a final update/result. The consensus - there would be no connection between the two and it was coincidental.

It ended up that the speedo cable had disconnected from the speedo gauge cluster, easy fix. I took the bike out for a ride and the speedo was working fine again AND I could not get the CEL to come on. I rode around for about 20-30 miles again and no CEL.

The day it happened was kind of cold 35-40 F. Could that have affected something that the CEL monitors? I read that the "computer" is very rudimentary (called an igniter?) and pretty much only monitors throttle position and crank position in order to control timing advance and the TPS is basically an "on" or "off" switch (idle=off, throttle=on). Is there something else that I am missing?

I am tempted to disco the cable again to see if the CEL returns but part of me wants to just leave it alone and be glad the CEL is not coming on (if it aint broke, etc).

Bruce
01-26-2016, 06:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-26-2016, 06:38 PM by pauli466.)
RE: Check Engine Light and Speedometer
(01-26-2016, 03:34 PM)HipCheck Wrote: 2006 Vstar 650 - 22k miles

Short version - While riding speedo stopped working shortly after noticing this I also started seeing check engine light (CEL) come on and go off. Fixed speedo issue and now I no longer get CEL. weird...

Long version - I was riding the other week and my speedometer stopped working. During that same ride (25 miles around the neighborhood) my CEL would come on and go off, this was mostly above 40 mph or so. I tried to find documentation or anything that pointed to a connection between the two. I found a couple threads online where the question was posed but none of them had a final update/result. The consensus - there would be no connection between the two and it was coincidental.

It ended up that the speedo cable had disconnected from the speedo gauge cluster, easy fix. I took the bike out for a ride and the speedo was working fine again AND I could not get the CEL to come on. I rode around for about 20-30 miles again and no CEL.

The day it happened was kind of cold 35-40 F. Could that have affected something that the CEL monitors? I read that the "computer" is very rudimentary (called an igniter?) and pretty much only monitors throttle position and crank position in order to control timing advance and the TPS is basically an "on" or "off" switch (idle=off, throttle=on). Is there something else that I am missing?

I am tempted to disco the cable again to see if the CEL returns but part of me wants to just leave it alone and be glad the CEL is not coming on (if it aint broke, etc).

Bruce
on a 650 the only thing that controls the check engine light is the throttle position sensor.
the throttle position sensor controls one thing. the timing curve. if it flashes it's ether a bad connection or a failed TPS. jiggling the wiring when you reconnected the spedo cable may have fixed CEL so i would check and use dielectric grease on the connectors under the spedo bezel. the TPS is kinda like a variable resistor it allows more current to flow the more it's turned. there's a microchip in the ecm that reads that current then adjusts the timing curve accordingly if the current is to high or to low then blink go's the CEL. i know for sure a failed pick up coil won't set the CEL. some call them crankshaft position sensors
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
01-26-2016, 06:24 PM,
Hmm, I also could have loosened the wiring that lights the CEL so it may still be alarming just not lighting up. I will take it apart again, clean it up, and grease the connections.

It just kinda made me chuckle since my coworker and I were talking and just couldn't see how they could be connected. I told him I will freak if I fix the speedo and the CEL stops coming on and sure enough. HA HA!!

Note to self - correlation does not always imply causation.
01-26-2016, 09:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-26-2016, 09:51 PM by HipCheck.)
(01-26-2016, 06:24 PM)HipCheck Wrote: Hmm, I also could have loosened the wiring that lights the CEL so it may still be alarming just not lighting up. I will take it apart again, clean it up, and grease the connections.

It just kinda made me chuckle since my coworker and I were talking and just couldn't see how they could be connected. I told him I will freak if I fix the speedo and the CEL stops coming on and sure enough. HA HA!!

OK, I think I might have found it. It appears that the previous owner put a 12 volt accessory on the bike and the plug was tucked back behind the exhaust. The plug housing is all melted on the positive side of the plug where it was touching the exhaust and probably arcing. Could this have created enough of an electrical issue that the system was getting weird readings and throwing the CEL?

I also noticed that there is no fuse between this plug and the leads which go directly to the battery posts, probably not a good idea.

Removing it regardless.

Picture of the damage:

Bruce
01-28-2016, 04:15 PM,
(01-26-2016, 09:50 PM)HipCheck Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 06:24 PM)HipCheck Wrote: Hmm, I also could have loosened the wiring that lights the CEL so it may still be alarming just not lighting up. I will take it apart again, clean it up, and grease the connections.

OK, I think I might have found it. It appears that the previous owner put a 12 volt accessory on the bike and the plug was tucked back behind the exhaust. The plug housing is all melted on the positive side of the plug where it was touching the exhaust and probably arcing. Could this have created enough of an electrical issue that the system was getting weird readings and throwing the CEL?

I also noticed that there is no fuse between this plug and the leads which go directly to the battery posts, probably not a good idea.

Removing it regardless.

Picture of the damage:

Bruce
that was probably use for charging purposes. your lucky, it could have easily started a fire if it grounded well enough.
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
02-07-2016, 04:46 PM,
(01-28-2016, 04:15 PM)pauli466 Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 09:50 PM)HipCheck Wrote:

Removing it regardless.

Picture of the damage:

Bruce
that was probably use for charging purposes. your lucky, it could have easily started a fire if it grounded well enough.
You are right about that. Biggrin No more issues after removing that plug. Biggrin Glad it was not the TPS or worse...
05-08-2016, 06:12 PM,
I've got kinda the same problem except backwards. My speedo cable came undone from the wheel hub, when I got home to check it, it was worn down to a nub. At the same time my CEL started flickering, now it stays on. Is there a connection? The light is off during idle, and under 25, until I get moving, then it stays on regardless of idling or riding.
I've ordered a new cable and it should come in a few days. Any info would be appreciated.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oil light mason71 14 2,524 09-26-2015, 03:47 AM
Last Post: DragonStar