Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
03-09-2016, 07:03 PM,
Cobra exhaust and new filter
My '99 1100 custom came with Cobra lo-boy shot guns but I removed them due to the popping and went back to the stock ones. Now I want to put them back on plus upgrade my air filter to a K & N. I'm looking to increase the power a little, let the bike breath easier, does this sound like a good plan? I'm not interested in spending the money on a big air kit. I'll be re-jetting too at some point, more on that later.
03-09-2016, 08:21 PM,
RE: Cobra exhaust and new filter
same set up had on my 02 1100 bro, had cobra and just modified the air box and air filter to let her breath and rejet, rejet and ais removal will help a lot with the popping.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

03-09-2016, 09:24 PM,
Thanks Keith, how did you modify the air box? What size jets did you use? Thinking about removing the AIS too.
03-09-2016, 10:10 PM,
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100k...ifications if you want a inexpensive diy carb jet enhancement. check out a pod setup about $125.00
2007 1100 custom,cobra longs and pods,doubled clutch spring.
03-10-2016, 08:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-10-2016, 08:59 PM by Keith.)
@DoubleD here it is, a dremel and a little patience will work, hell I went to HF and got the drill hole saws and cut the box, the dremel or HF equiv for much cheaper to mod the stock paper filter, the intake flow is really restrictive big time on her.
http://www.altsale.com/airmod.htm

actually shop rejetted her just from being cobra piped as had her in before knew about they drop a bolt in the shift linkage so was in there for that and they rejetted at the same time, just knew could not get past 2nd and did not have any forum for help then.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

07-05-2016, 08:08 PM,
Heres a little update for you. Pulled the carbs and each jet and gave it a good cleaning. This is not a 5 minute job like a lot of people tell you. It takes a lot of finessing to wrangle those guys out and back into proper position. One thing that I didn't do that I should have is drill out the plug for the PMS. More on that later. So I put my Cobras back on and added a new K&N filter. Seems to have added a bit more pep to the bike. It had a fairly bad back fire before but instead of re-jetting I just made sure all the air and tailpipe connections fit well to avoid leaks going in and out. The popping has dramatically improved. But with more air and a more free exhaust I wish I could fine tune the PMS as I think its running a little lean. Next time.
07-08-2016, 07:38 PM,
yep can imagine for us that do not do it much if ever would take quite a while, have your removed the AIS yet, that can cause a some popping also.

07-09-2016, 08:40 AM,
Maybe in the fall I'll do the AIS, I just want to keep riding for now. I figure with a little tweeking on the PMS I can take care of the little pop there is now. I need to find a set of those thumb screws though, for easy adjustment.
07-09-2016, 10:13 PM,
Hey there DoubleD. I'm with Keith, get rid of the AIS. It's doing nothing for your bike, except adding that annoying popping. It's a pretty easy process to remove, plus it'll clean up your bikes look. I would also recommend synching the carbs if you haven't already.
'07 1100 Custom; Cobra Pipes, Kuryakyn Hypercharger
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  650 Stripped Oil Filter Cover Bolt indie_rocker 4 2,285 06-25-2015, 03:43 PM
Last Post: indie_rocker