Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
04-03-2016, 11:01 PM,
I bought the 2015 V Star 950 Tourer
About a week ago I posted to say I was about to buy a new 2015 v star 950 Tourer but had a couple concerns. I got some help here that answered those concerns and I went ahead with the purchase a couple days ago. I worked out a deal with a Yamaha dealer in Red Bluff, CA 160 miles from where I live in rural northern CA. I bought my previous ride from him (a used 2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750) and knew he was competitive in his pricing and trustworthy. I paid $9200 out the door, less the trade in on my Shadow. I test rode the bike, made the purchase and have put the first 200 miles on it.I found this site while researching user reviews of the bike and the info. posted here by people on this site, like YamaMassGirl, Marty and a couple others who helped me decide to buy my 950 Tourer. So hopefully my initial user review might help others who are interested in the 950 or 950 Tourer. My comments will largely echo those of others which should lend validity to these opinions. The more people who share an opinion on a product the more likely that will be your opinion of it.Many have commented on the appeal of the styling as a plus. I guess it is with me too, but it's new, and a cruiser-style bike - it's supposed to look great. Other new cruisers look great too. The fit and finish are nice. This is my first Yamaha after owning 6 Hondas over the years - starting with a used Honda 50 in 1963 - yeah, I'm old - 70. The ride is very smooth and it does get up to speed quickly. I like the 18" wide front tire as it absorbs seams in the pavement and those annoying grooves you sometimes run across that go almost parallel to your direction of travel and can make the steering squirrelly in lighter bikes with smaller tires. I'm not yet comfortable with the heel part of the toe and heel shifter. I've found it's best use, so far, is for putting the bike in neutral when you've stopped and in first gear. When you've been using just your toe to shift for 50 years, that's what you're used to.My main concern was how the bike cruised at 65-75 - whether the engine would be screaming for a 6th gear. The high end performance is a definite upgrade from my Shadow 750. As others have said, at 70 and above you begin to get some vibration in the floorboards, creating a buzzing feeling in your feet. I had it up to 90 and the ride was still smooth although the engine is winding up and at that speed the wind is annoying. One of the Youtube videos on the 950, the guy (coolcycledude) said the bike rode like it was "on a rail", meaning straight and stable. I agree. The bike has good low end torque and the motor sounds best in the lower range. It's quiet at high speeds - which I like, but if I hadn't read about the "clicking" sound you hear at higher speeds it would have worried me. The motor loses that throaty sound at higher rpms. Not really an issue, but it's new to me.Another concern was the height of the stock windshield on the Tourer. Some mentioned it was too short. I'm 5'10". Before I rode the 160 miles to the dealer I called and asked him to measure it and he said it was 16" from the bottom of the shield at the cut out for the headlight, to the top. On my Shadow the shield was 18". He told me there was an 18" version I could switch out if I didn't like the smaller one. I rode the bike with both windshield and the 18" was better for me at highway speeds. I'm able to look over the plexiglass rather than through, which I prefer. I saw a video that said the ideal windshield height is when the top of the windshield is between your upper lip and the point of your nose - measuring on a level line with you on the bike in riding position. That sounds right.A third concern was the reported scraping of the floorboards in tight turns. Some said it happens often others said it never happened. Not being an aggressive rider I figured it would be a minor issue. The boards are spring loaded so they bend up easily if they scrape the ground. On the ride home it did scrape once on a left turn. Technically it didn't scrape the pavement, but rather a small stone less than an inch high that was on the pavement. It wasn't a control issue at all.The shifting was crisp and a bit clunky. The gears were fine but shifting was firmer than on my Shadow. Whether it's the design or the fact it's a new bike that isn't broken in I don't know. Have those of you who bought your bikes new noticed whether it gets a little smoother with use? I'll be happier if it smooths out over time and becomes a little more "buttery."I did get to test the reserve fuel system, unintentionally. Before I left for home I looked in the tank and saw that the fuel lever looked to be just below the bottom of the filler tube and assumed they had filled the tank. I had about 30 miles on the bike at that point. I should have taken the time to top of the tank. Less than 100 miles down the road I noticed the trip meter was reading numbers in the negative and read something like -4.8. I then noticed the orange, low fuel light was on and I was over 30 miles from the next gas stop. The reserve fuel meter read -34.4 when I was able to gas up, so I know the reserve tank will take me that far - whew! The reserve odometer is supposed to go on when you have about 9/10ths of a gallon remaining. If so I was close to the edge.One comment I heard that I didn't really notice, was that the front wheel seemed "heavy" when turning at parking lot speeds - like 5mph or so. Maybe the 36" beach bars compensated for that. The bars are only about 3" wider than on my Shadow, but I didn't notice any difference in comfort or handling. Both are good.Overall, I'm very pleased with the bike and will post further comments as they occur. I hope this is helpful for someone trying to decide on the 950 Tourer.
04-04-2016, 02:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-04-2016, 02:19 PM by pauli466.)
RE: I bought the 2015 V Star 950 Tourer
(04-03-2016, 11:01 PM)Bernie707 Wrote: About a week ago I posted to say I was about to buy a new 2015 v star 950 Tourer but had a couple concerns. I got some help here that answered those concerns and I went ahead with the purchase a couple days ago. I worked out a deal with a Yamaha dealer in Red Bluff, CA 160 miles from where I live in rural northern CA. I bought my previous ride from him (a used 2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750) and knew he was competitive in his pricing and trustworthy. I paid $9200 out the door, less the trade in on my Shadow. I test rode the bike, made the purchase and have put the first 200 miles on it.I found this site while researching user reviews of the bike and the info. posted here by people on this site, like YamaMassGirl, Marty and a couple others who helped me decide to buy my 950 Tourer. So hopefully my initial user review might help others who are interested in the 950 or 950 Tourer. My comments will largely echo those of others which should lend validity to these opinions. The more people who share an opinion on a product the more likely that will be your opinion of it.Many have commented on the appeal of the styling as a plus. I guess it is with me too, but it's new, and a cruiser-style bike - it's supposed to look great. Other new cruisers look great too. The fit and finish are nice. This is my first Yamaha after owning 6 Hondas over the years - starting with a used Honda 50 in 1963 - yeah, I'm old - 70. The ride is very smooth and it does get up to speed quickly. I like the 18" wide front tire as it absorbs seams in the pavement and those annoying grooves you sometimes run across that go almost parallel to your direction of travel and can make the steering squirrelly in lighter bikes with smaller tires. I'm not yet comfortable with the heel part of the toe and heel shifter. I've found it's best use, so far, is for putting the bike in neutral when you've stopped and in first gear. When you've been using just your toe to shift for 50 years, that's what you're used to.My main concern was how the bike cruised at 65-75 - whether the engine would be screaming for a 6th gear. The high end performance is a definite upgrade from my Shadow 750. As others have said, at 70 and above you begin to get some vibration in the floorboards, creating a buzzing feeling in your feet. I had it up to 90 and the ride was still smooth although the engine is winding up and at that speed the wind is annoying. One of the Youtube videos on the 950, the guy (coolcycledude) said the bike rode like it was "on a rail", meaning straight and stable. I agree. The bike has good low end torque and the motor sounds best in the lower range. It's quiet at high speeds - which I like, but if I hadn't read about the "clicking" sound you hear at higher speeds it would have worried me. The motor loses that throaty sound at higher rpms. Not really an issue, but it's new to me.Another concern was the height of the stock windshield on the Tourer. Some mentioned it was too short. I'm 5'10". Before I rode the 160 miles to the dealer I called and asked him to measure it and he said it was 16" from the bottom of the shield at the cut out for the headlight, to the top. On my Shadow the shield was 18". He told me there was an 18" version I could switch out if I didn't like the smaller one. I rode the bike with both windshield and the 18" was better for me at highway speeds. I'm able to look over the plexiglass rather than through, which I prefer. I saw a video that said the ideal windshield height is when the top of the windshield is between your upper lip and the point of your nose - measuring on a level line with you on the bike in riding position. That sounds right.A third concern was the reported scraping of the floorboards in tight turns. Some said it happens often others said it never happened. Not being an aggressive rider I figured it would be a minor issue. The boards are spring loaded so they bend up easily if they scrape the ground. On the ride home it did scrape once on a left turn. Technically it didn't scrape the pavement, but rather a small stone less than an inch high that was on the pavement. It wasn't a control issue at all.The shifting was crisp and a bit clunky. The gears were fine but shifting was firmer than on my Shadow. Whether it's the design or the fact it's a new bike that isn't broken in I don't know. Have those of you who bought your bikes new noticed whether it gets a little smoother with use? I'll be happier if it smooths out over time and becomes a little more "buttery."I did get to test the reserve fuel system, unintentionally. Before I left for home I looked in the tank and saw that the fuel lever looked to be just below the bottom of the filler tube and assumed they had filled the tank. I had about 30 miles on the bike at that point. I should have taken the time to top of the tank. Less than 100 miles down the road I noticed the trip meter was reading numbers in the negative and read something like -4.8. I then noticed the orange, low fuel light was on and I was over 30 miles from the next gas stop. The reserve fuel meter read -34.4 when I was able to gas up, so I know the reserve tank will take me that far - whew! The reserve odometer is supposed to go on when you have about 9/10ths of a gallon remaining. If so I was close to the edge.One comment I heard that I didn't really notice, was that the front wheel seemed "heavy" when turning at parking lot speeds - like 5mph or so. Maybe the 36" beach bars compensated for that. The bars are only about 3" wider than on my Shadow, but I didn't notice any difference in comfort or handling. Both are good.Overall, I'm very pleased with the bike and will post further comments as they occur. I hope this is helpful for someone trying to decide on the 950 Tourer.
look closely at the drive belt pulley alignment a lot of em come off the assembly line with pulleys misaligned causing a failure of the transmission countershaft bearing requiring a complete engine teardown to fix. if the pulleys are misaligned backing off the belt tension might save the bearing. if the clicking noise sounds like it's underneath you and not the tappets it could be the countershaft bearing trying tell you something. i looked at two 950s at the dealership and both had misaligned pulleys.
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
04-12-2016, 11:07 PM,
Thanks for the post Bernie707. I'm lovin' my 950 so far. Kinda wish I had the tourer package, but I know I'll enjoy making my own improvements. I may want the Memphis Shades Batwing and HardStreet Hardbags for touring, (which I would color match paint them both myself). So far the only extra money I've spent was on fork deflectors, heated grips, and still waiting on a low cost custom seat from Pacific Coast Star. (Just a little over $300 spent for all these upgrades, without metioning the free Memphis Shades Slim 17" shield included in my deal ... And actually felling pretty proud of myself!)

Congrats on the bike. Love to hear more from you.
04-16-2016, 04:00 PM,
(04-12-2016, 11:07 PM)YamaMassGirl Wrote: Thanks for the post Bernie707. I'm lovin' my 950 so far. Kinda wish I had the tourer package, but I know I'll enjoy making my own improvements. I may want the Memphis Shades Batwing and HardStreet Hardbags for touring, (which I would color match paint them both myself). So far the only extra money I've spent was on fork deflectors, heated grips, and still waiting on a low cost custom seat from Pacific Coast Star. (Just a little over $300 spent for all these upgrades, without metioning the free Memphis Shades Slim 17" shield included in my deal ... And actually felling pretty proud of myself!)

Congrats on the bike. Love to hear more from you.
Hi YamaMassGirl!. I've enjoyed your posts too. BTW, did you get the seat from Pacific coast star that offers the exchange for your stock seat? If so, you should start a thread on it. I've been looking for your comment on it, if you bought it. I'm going to post soon asking for comments on lower deflectors - do they help with head buffeting. I am also thinking of getting a "clampbuster throttle assist to ease throttle wrist cramping which I experience on longer rides. About to go on a 100 mile ride - round trip into 70+ weather, in a few minutes. Take care.
04-16-2016, 07:00 PM,
[/quote]Hi YamaMassGirl!. I've enjoyed your posts too. BTW, did you get the seat from Pacific coast star that offers the exchange for your stock seat? If so, you should start a thread on it. I've been looking for your comment on it, if you bought it. I'm going to post soon asking for comments on lower deflectors - do they help with head buffeting. I am also thinking of getting a "clampbuster throttle assist to ease throttle wrist cramping which I experience on longer rides. About to go on a 100 mile ride - round trip into 70+ weather, in a few minutes. Take care.
[/quote]

I will start a thread about the Pacific Coast Star seat....when I finally get it. They aren't kidding about having to wait for the seat. It's been 5 weeks. And they told me I may have to wait another.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remove sissy bar on 950 tourer Codlex 2 1,864 12-21-2018, 02:12 PM
Last Post: pistolpete
  About To Buy a 2015 950 Tourer - a couple concerns Bernie707 4 3,701 03-28-2016, 11:26 PM
Last Post: YamaMassGirl