Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
04-07-2016, 06:48 PM,
How to tell when the gas tank is full?
As a newbie with this bike, I've only filled the tank once on my new 950 Tourer. I had gone 34 miles after the reserve fuel light went on (I was in a remote area) so I'm guessing I was near empty. I filled the tank to about the level of the plate at the bottom of the filler tube with the hole for the gas pump nozzle and some smaller holes. It only took 2.85 gallons which seems too little if the tank holds about 4.5 gallons. Do you fill the tank to a level above the bottom of that plate, and if so to what level? The bike was on the kick stand.
04-08-2016, 05:33 PM,
RE: How to tell when the gas tank is full?
(04-07-2016, 06:48 PM)Bernie707 Wrote: As a newbie with this bike, I've only filled the tank once on my new 950 Tourer. I had gone 34 miles after the reserve fuel light went on (I was in a remote area) so I'm guessing I was near empty. I filled the tank to about the level of the plate at the bottom of the filler tube with the hole for the gas pump nozzle and some smaller holes. It only took 2.85 gallons which seems too little if the tank holds about 4.5 gallons. Do you fill the tank to a level above the bottom of that plate, and if so to what level? The bike was on the kick stand.
You shouldn't fill above that especially in hot weather. It can puke fuel out.
My 1300 light comes on and I put about 3 gallons in. I haven't pushed it to see much is really left...
04-09-2016, 08:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2016, 08:55 PM by pauli466.)
(04-08-2016, 05:33 PM)Elk Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 06:48 PM)Bernie707 Wrote: As a newbie with this bike, I've only filled the tank once on my new 950 Tourer. I had gone 34 miles after the reserve fuel light went on (I was in a remote area) so I'm guessing I was near empty. I filled the tank to about the level of the plate at the bottom of the filler tube with the hole for the gas pump nozzle and some smaller holes. It only took 2.85 gallons which seems too little if the tank holds about 4.5 gallons. Do you fill the tank to a level above the bottom of that plate, and if so to what level? The bike was on the kick stand.
from a full tank to reserve should be about 175 miles 150 if your riding hard. so you were 1.5 to 2 gallons shy of a full tank at 34 miles to reserve. when the bikes is running on reserve just look at the pump meter it should go to 4 gallons to fill it. i over fill my 650 all the time and never had any kind of leak. i think EPA regulations require fuel caps to be air tight so fuel vapors cant escape to the atmosphere, so if vapor cant escape neither can fuel.

You shouldn't fill above that especially in hot weather. It can puke fuel out.
My 1300 light comes on and I put about 3 gallons in. I haven't pushed it to see much is really left...
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
04-10-2016, 11:47 PM,
I don't know much, but when it comes to filling up on gas I try to:

Fill up when it's cold, or at least colder than the warmest part of the day.

Pump slow or at least not full throttle. (It will let the gas expand.)

On my Wrangler, I stick it in all the way. But on my bike I hold it mostly all the way out. (Pump doesn't like to shut off when filling up on the Wrangler.)

I dunno. Gas prices have come down here near Boston, (and been down a while), but I know they will increase again after the new election.
04-11-2016, 10:23 AM,
(04-10-2016, 11:47 PM)YamaMassGirl Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 06:48 PM)Bernie707 Wrote:
I don't know much, but when it comes to filling up on gas I try to:

Fill up when it's cold, or at least colder than the warmest part of the day.

Pump slow or at least not full throttle. (It will let the gas expand.)

On my Wrangler, I stick it in all the way. But on my bike I hold it mostly all the way out. (Pump doesn't like to shut off when filling up on the Wrangler.)

I dunno. Gas prices have come down here near Boston, (and been down a while), but I know they will increase again after the new election.
the price bumped up a bit because of summer blend being used now. governments want to raise the gasoline tax because it's so cheap now but don't think for a minute that the tax increase will go away when prices double. we'll be paying a side walk tax if we don't start speaking out on this unfair taxing.
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
04-16-2016, 09:37 PM,
Here's an update on my original post. On my next tank of gas I topped off where the gas level is just slightly above the plate at the bottom of the filler tube -just enough so the plate sort of "floats" on the gas. Today while on a ride I kept my eye on the odo once I hit 130 miles since the fill up. 140 miles before the reserve light comes on was a number often mentioned. My reserve light came on at 147 miles and the odo reset into gas reserve mode. Okay, that's what I was expecting. When the odo was reading about -2.3, I noticed the orange light had gone off. When the reserve odo was reading about -5.2, the odo reverted to the "Trip A" reading, which was now 153. Within seconds the orange light came back on (and stayed on) and at the same time the reserve odo reset to 0.0 and started counting again until I stopped and filled up. I'm guessing the reserve light function might get fooled the first few miles? Is this common. The first time my tank reached reserve the light stayed on and the reserve odo kept a consistent count until I filled up. Oh, and I got 47 mpg, just as rated. This was only my 2nd tank of gas since the bike was new.
05-08-2016, 09:26 PM,
I drive truck for a living so I may be slow but my experience has been that when there"s fuel running over the side of the tank on to the ground its full!
11-27-2016, 04:13 PM,
You are doing exactly the right thing. Fill it to the recessed ring. This will allow for expansion in hot weather. The reserve light will come on when you have 1 gallon remaining. It is typical for the reserve light to come on and and then go back off due to fuel sloshing in the tank (false alarm). If the light goes back off it means the fuel is once again covering the sensor. If it remains so for 5 miles, the fuel remaining will reset to to zero when the light comes back on again and will start counting again.

Am I making any sense?
11-29-2016, 08:26 PM,
when I fill up in cool weather or heading to work, I get it up the top, no problems ever, only time was a issue was when did that when filled up like that when was going home and only live .5 miles from the station, then it puked fuel in the garage.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Tank wobble ats9585 5 1,097 11-27-2016, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Batman
  3d tank emblem 950 BOBBYD 0 355 09-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Last Post: BOBBYD