Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
04-19-2016, 08:59 PM,
Emoticon_unhappy  Yamaha "Genuine" Star windshield mount - broken!
I searched all over this Forum and could not find a post, so I am posting a new thread.
I have a V-Star Classic windshield that is 3 years old. I don't know when it happened, but during this spring's maintenance, the shop found that the upper windshield mount is broken in half.
I called Yamaha, and they said that the sheet metal bracket (the one with the Star logo) is not sold separately. It looks like the whole mounting kit costs ~$100. I'm not ready to throw good money after bad to replace it. If I'm going to spend ~$100 for that, I think I'd rather spend the extra money and get a good quality replacement after-market shield.
Other than getting someone to try to weld it up, is there a site where parts like this are sold separately (from scavenged assemblies?)?

Thanks!

BTW, not pleased with Star accessories. I figured I'd show some pride in the brand right after buying the bike, and bought a Star rainsuit. The pants leaked after about a month. They were replaced and leaked after another month. Then the jacket leaked. I also bought the Star belt buckle and that broke after 3 months - the replacement broke quicker. Now I have the windshield breaking. I have almost 31,000 mi on the bike so [knock on wood], at least Yamaha built that right?
04-20-2016, 05:34 PM,
RE: Yamaha "Genuine" Star windshield mount - broken!
Yeah, they built it right, for their profit.

Take a look at where your clutch cable attaches below the rear cylinder to a part called the "push lever axle". Heaven help you if the oil seal for this part goes out.

According to the Yamaha dealer, the only way to replace the $5.00 oil seal is to remove the engine and rear cylinder, at a cost of about $1000.00.

That little scam has put me off of ever buying another Yamaha product.

I think that your experiences with their products answers your question about the quality of their products.
04-20-2016, 09:50 PM,
(04-20-2016, 05:34 PM)Baldy Wrote: Yeah, they built it right, for their profit.

Take a look at where your clutch cable attaches below the rear cylinder to a part called the "push lever axle". Heaven help you if the oil seal for this part goes out.

According to the Yamaha dealer, the only way to replace the $5.00 oil seal is to remove the engine and rear cylinder, at a cost of about $1000.00.

I think that your experiences with their products answers your question about the quality of their products.
actually yamaha came in 1st place in all the reliability surveys, they may be harder to work on but they need fewer repairs than other brands according to every survey i'v seen
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
04-21-2016, 05:07 PM,
You can check eBay for the parts and maybe see if there are any motorcycle junk yards near you. I've never looked online for used parts, but there are probably some out there.
I too am not pleased with the accessories especially given the prices, but the bikes are pretty reliable as Pauli said.
04-23-2016, 02:41 AM,
(04-20-2016, 09:50 PM)pauli466 Wrote:

actually yamaha came in 1st place in all the reliability surveys, they may be harder to work on but they need fewer repairs than other brands according to every survey i'v seen
Oh, my, that makes me feel soooo much better.

Paying $1000 to replace a $5.00 seal instead of getting to fix it myself for just the cost of the seal such a better deal. What was I thinking?

Here is a thought: How about reliability AND ease of repair? I'm even willing to take a little less reliability for the ability to make simple repairs for less than $1000.00.
04-24-2016, 07:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2016, 07:55 PM by pauli466.)
(04-23-2016, 02:41 AM)Baldy Wrote:
(04-20-2016, 09:50 PM)pauli466 Wrote:

Oh, my, that makes me feel soooo much better.

Paying $1000 to replace a $5.00 seal instead of getting to fix it myself for just the cost of the seal such a better deal. What was I thinking?

Here is a thought: How about reliability AND ease of repair? I'm even willing to take a little less reliability for the ability to make simple repairs for less than $1000.00.
i never even heard of that seal going bad, can you show me one post of that seal leaking other than yours. the 650 engine is a very basic design any mechanic worth his salt could have it removed and broken down in 6 hours. i'v been a mechanic all my life so labor cost means nothing to me. with the proper tools the 650 is a piece of cake compared to some bikes. what bike are your riding ? give me 10 min of research time and i'll find something that's a PITA to fix. no bike is perfect. what i don't get is why someone would join a vstar forum for the sake of bashing the very brand the forum is about. i don't bash any brand or style motorcycle, because it make no sense to irritate people to make yourself feel superior
04-25-2016, 04:49 PM,
It took me some time to find 2 posts about the same problem, but they are out there if you wish to take the time.

As for any mechanic worth salt, I've been a mechanic all my life, etc,etc, I am not a mechanic. I can do basic repairs but I do not feet comfortable removing the engine and especially doing anything that affects the timing, so I would have to pay someone to do the job. At an average of $100 an hour, that adds up. That is especially irritating when it is for a process that could have been made easier but was not.

As for bashing a product, if they did this once, they will almost certainly do it again or something similar on other designs, so I think cautioning others is wise.

As for why I joined this blog, I did so because I do enjoy this model motorcycle, this one design feature (it is not a design flaw) excepted. However, I will respond to rude, condescending remarks, which is how I perceived your response. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH. If you don't want people "insulting" you then word your statements accordingly.
04-26-2016, 11:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-26-2016, 12:01 PM by pauli466.)
(04-25-2016, 04:49 PM)Baldy Wrote: It took me some time to find 2 posts about the same problem, but they are out there if you wish to take the time.

As for any mechanic worth salt, I've been a mechanic all my life, etc,etc, I am not a mechanic. I can do basic repairs but I do not feet comfortable removing the engine and especially doing anything that affects the timing, so I would have to pay someone to do the job. At an average of $100 an hour, that adds up. That is especially irritating when it is for a process that could have been made easier but was not.

As for bashing a product, if they did this once, they will almost certainly do it again or something similar on other designs, so I think cautioning others is wise.

As for why I joined this blog, I did so because I do enjoy this model motorcycle, this one design feature (it is not a design flaw) excepted. However, I will respond to rude, condescending remarks, which is how I perceived your response. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH. If you don't want people "insulting" you then word your statements accordingly.
your worried about a problem that in all likely hood will never happen, if this problem had actually happened to you personally then i could understand you being mad about it. also about the windshield bracket that this thread is about, yamaha doesn't actually make the add on parts they use outside vendors for that and if more than a few where cracking i'm sure they would go after or drop that vendor. you used the word scam as if yamaha did it on purpose, that's not being helpful or informative that's brand bashing, so just let it go at that.
04-26-2016, 12:25 PM,
I've owned 2 Star bikes since 07. Not a long time, but long enough to say they make a good bike, the Star accessories are expensive, and I don't buy them because of the price. The problem that I see isn't the bike, it's the aftermarket crap that can be found easily. I'm talking, filters, brake pads, and other accessories not made in the US for the most part. You "really" have watch the import crap. My 07 1100s engine was almost destroyed by Fram oil filters, got 2 that missed the quality check. I now inspect everything before it's installed. Brake pads from a fairly known brand with retaining pins holes that looked as if they were drilled with a nail, parts that say they fit a 1300, don't. You pay the return shipping! No trouble with the bike!
04-26-2016, 06:53 PM,
(04-26-2016, 11:41 AM)pauli466 Wrote:
(04-25-2016, 04:49 PM)Baldy Wrote: It took me some time to find 2 posts about the same problem, but they are out there if you wish to take the time.

your worried about a problem that in all likely hood will never happen, if this problem had actually happened to you personally then i could understand you being mad about it. also about the windshield bracket that this thread is about, yamaha doesn't actually make the add on parts they use outside vendors for that and if more than a few where cracking i'm sure they would go after or drop that vendor. you used the word scam as if yamaha did it on purpose, that's not being helpful or informative that's brand bashing, so just let it go at that.
The problem has happened to me, so yes, I am angry about it. What really angers me about it is the design. This can not be a design flaw, I have no doubt (but also no proof) that it is a deliberate effort to have people bring their bikes in for repair of this problem. I wouldn't mind doing so if cost was less than, say $400. But, $1000.00? That gets my goose.

This, to me, is greed. I hate greed, it is perhaps my pet peeve in a person or corporation, as you saw. My apologies for getting angry at you, but, as you saw, greed makes me angry, and I felt that you were defending their greed.

Which brings me to something that you said about Yamaha being reliable bikes. Yes, they are, which is one of the reasons that I bought this bike (actually I bought entirely on the emotion of how good the bike looks). And as far as flaws go, this is a very minor one. I have had no major problems with this bike. But the greed factor of this design is a flaw that I can not overlook, especially since I see it every time that I get on the bike.

Which brings me to the mirror problem that this was all about. The poster said that they had bought other products from Yamaha that were of inferior quality. Yamaha may not make those items, but you would think that they would insist upon superior quality in those products since they represent Yamaha. Perhaps Yamaha is not yet aware of the problems with these products. If so, they are blameless.

But, if they are aware of these flaws and do not bother to correct them, and they have made what appears to be self serving design at the expense of the customer on this and possible other models, then this, to me, is indicative of a mindset at Yamaha that is not good for the customer and I think that people should be aware of it. I could have worded it better, but I think that we as customers need to look closely at Yamaha's products in the future lest we become the recipients of unpleasant, expensive products of that mindset.
04-26-2016, 09:27 PM,
(04-26-2016, 06:53 PM)Baldy Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 11:41 AM)pauli466 Wrote:

The problem has happened to me, so yes, I am angry about it. What really angers me about it is the design. This can not be a design flaw, I have no doubt (but also no proof) that it is a deliberate effort to have people bring their bikes in for repair of this problem. I wouldn't mind doing so if cost was less than, say $400. But, $1000.00? That gets my goose.

This, to me, is greed. I hate greed, it is perhaps my pet peeve in a person or corporation, as you saw. My apologies for getting angry at you, but, as you saw, greed makes me angry, and I felt that you were defending their greed.

Which brings me to something that you said about Yamaha being reliable bikes. Yes, they are, which is one of the reasons that I bought this bike (actually I bought entirely on the emotion of how good the bike looks). And as far as flaws go, this is a very minor one. I have had no major problems with this bike. But the greed factor of this design is a flaw that I can not overlook, especially since I see it every time that I get on the bike.

Which brings me to the mirror problem that this was all about. The poster said that they had bought other products from Yamaha that were of inferior quality. Yamaha may not make those items, but you would think that they would insist upon superior quality in those products since they represent Yamaha. Perhaps Yamaha is not yet aware of the problems with these products. If so, they are blameless.

But, if they are aware of these flaws and do not bother to correct them, and they have made what appears to be self serving design at the expense of the customer on this and possible other models, then this, to me, is indicative of a mindset at Yamaha that is not good for the customer and I think that people should be aware of it. I could have worded it better, but I think that we as customers need to look closely at Yamaha's products in the future lest we become the recipients of unpleasant, expensive products of that mindset.
self serving ? to what end ? yamaha only get's the price of the seal 5.00 and the shop gets the labour money. and the shop doesn't necessarily have to be a dealership. so in your mind yamaha did this to grab five bucks... ridiculous..lol
04-26-2016, 11:22 PM,
Yes, Yamaha gets the money for the part and the labor charge keeps one of their dealerships in the black, so it does serve their interest.

You are incredible. I explain my reasoning and even apologize to you and you still want to try insulting me and one upping me.

I have tried to end this on a polite note but I see that it is impossible with you.
04-27-2016, 11:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-27-2016, 12:01 PM by pauli466.)
(04-26-2016, 11:22 PM)Baldy Wrote: Yes, Yamaha gets the money for the part and the labor charge keeps one of their dealerships in the black, so it does serve their interest.

You are incredible. I explain my reasoning and even apologize to you and you still want to try insulting me and one upping me.

I have tried to end this on a polite note but I see that it is impossible with you.
dealerships are independently owned and operated and so are the repair shops in them, manufacturers are not in the habit of biting the hand that feed them, your reasoning is totally flawed. the dumbest part is you actually bought a bike from a manufacturer that's "out to get you" or maybe all companies are out to get you. if you found posts of this out get you problem you would have shared the links so i'm betting the only problem you actually found was a shift shaft seal leaking. so stop complaining and trying to justify your opinion with absolutely no facts. i'll say one more time for ya, you saying " ONE OF YAMAHAS DEALERSHIPS " your words ( their dealer ships) makes no sense BECAUSE YAMAHA DOESN'T OWN DEALERSHIPS they are "INDEPENDENTLY OWNED AND OPERATED. engineers and designers do make mistakes but to say they did it on purpose is ludicrous. the 650 engine has been around for 18 years now and you found this seal leaking on a total of 3 engines so far and think the company should spend millions to completely redesign an engine for a problem that rarely occurs is nuts. do everyone a favor and just write to yamaha with your concerns or be helpful and tell people how to fix the problem if it happens and stop complaining and just ride the bike
04-27-2016, 05:01 PM,
Once again, I have tried to end this on a polite note and you come back with nasty comments and a need to one up me. You seem to have a very fragile ego.

The truly sad part is that you have ceded the moral high ground, I did not take it from you. I was the one who made the initial rude remark, and you were justified in responding in kind. I apologized, and tried to make things polite between us and for this forum, but YOU refuse to do so.

I hate to close on what you will no doubt consider to be an insult, but you show a serious lack of character. When someone is trying to make amends, the polite and classy thing to do is respond in kind. You certainly had no problem responding in kind to my nasty comment, why not try responding in kind to my apology?
04-28-2016, 06:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-28-2016, 06:38 PM by pauli466.)
(04-27-2016, 05:01 PM)Baldy Wrote: Once again, I have tried to end this on a polite note and you come back with nasty comments and a need to one up me. You seem to have a very fragile ego.

The truly sad part is that you have ceded the moral high ground, I did not take it from you. I was the one who made the initial rude remark, and you were justified in responding in kind. I apologized, and tried to make things polite between us and for this forum, but YOU refuse to do so.

I hate to close on what you will no doubt consider to be an insult, but you show a serious lack of character. When someone is trying to make amends, the polite and classy thing to do is respond in kind. You certainly had no problem responding in kind to my nasty comment, why not try responding in kind to my apology?
conspiracy theories have no place here besides i'm to busy riding and enjoying my 60,000 mile breakdown free 650 to be bothered with conspiracy theories. your the one whining not me, just let it go. kill the thread already. if you want to act like a child and have the last word, go for it with another post, but you'll get nothing more from me.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windshield mount - lower triple tree hex bolts (turn signal) chesapeake301 0 244 06-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: chesapeake301
  Crash Bar's/Sliders & aftermarket lights for 2010 Yamaha V Star 650 Custom lambo2936 0 304 04-27-2017, 07:29 PM
Last Post: lambo2936
  Windshield Lowers causing problem TimandSally 1 806 02-20-2017, 03:02 AM
Last Post: jmck
  Windshield size Question on 2014 V-Star 950 Tourer TimandSally 5 1,067 09-25-2016, 02:12 AM
Last Post: TimandSally
  Silverado windshield Blackacre1066 1 749 06-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Last Post: pauli466
  wanted: rigid mount oem soft bags. pauli466 0 418 06-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Last Post: pauli466
  Memphis Shades or Yamaha windshield crazydog 5 1,593 06-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Keith
  Memphis Shades or Yamaha windshield crazydog 0 571 06-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Last Post: crazydog
  Help with windshield install ddb 0 668 06-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Last Post: ddb
  Windshield help Elk 8 2,210 04-17-2015, 11:26 AM